Where can I train to be a baminton coach or assistant coach in London?

Discussion in 'Coaching Forum' started by Mikeadelic, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Mikeadelic

Mikeadelic New Member

Volunteer
    I live in Teddington and am very interested in coaching badminton. I play to a good level and would like to coach it as I've been playing for some years now.
    What would be a good qualification to work towards?
    Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated, thankyou. :)

2. AGRogers

AGRogers Regular Member

Coach & irrelevant day job
    Hey there,

Check out the following link which contains various resources from Badminton England.

http://www.badmintonengland.co.uk/t...13&sectionTitle=Forthcoming+Badminton+Courses

The UKCC level 1 qualification is the first step on the ladder if you like...

That's the formal way of doing things, anyway - if you'd rather get more of a taster for things its worth finding a local coach and asking if they want some assistance (though they may require you to have or to work towards one of the formal qualifications).

In today's society it's always worth getting CRB checked if there's even the possibility of you working with children. It may also be worth you checking out the Sports Coach UK website to see if there's anything worth your while (recommended from a Badminton England/Clubmark point of view are the Equity and Child Protection courses as an absolute minimum).

Coaching is a fantastic way to fulfil yourself, just be prepared to put in a lot of ground work to ensure you are protected (especially if you work with children).

(and yes, I am a coach who's hoping to go full time and yes, I have done the courses mentioned and many more)

3. Kee_Lee

Kee_Lee Regular Member

Student
    Middlesex University usually do the courses in London subject to enough people applying for it. Thats where I did my Level 1. You might have more luck with a course nearer to you by searching under kent or surrey. The UKCC qualifications offer a good foundation to coaching, and it leads to membership of Badminton Englands' Coaching register/insurance/child protection/CRB disclosure. However, it may cost about £400 to get to level 2. Luckily my University paid for it! :p