Visitor to HCMC

Discussion in 'Vietnam' started by DavidPizer, Aug 20, 2008.

1. DavidPizer

DavidPizer New Member

Research Scientist
    Hello,

I am coming to visit HCMC again on Friday 22nd August from UK for just over 2 weeks, and would love to play badminton there and meet some other badminton players. I come to HCMC 1,2 or 3 times a year.

I expect I'll stay in District 1 again. But am prepared to travel to other districts to play.

I understand that there are many places to play in HCMC. Can anyone suggest a place I can go to that will welcome a casual visitor from UK. Or if anyone is prepared to take me in to some place that would be great.

I don't speak Vietnamese. I'm a reasonably good player -- but not professional standard or anything like that. Singles or Doubles would be fine.

Thank you

David Pizer
    davidpizer@googlemail.com

2. CornChip

CornChip Regular Member

Hi David,

Please see my post on threat "Play badminton in HCMC VIETNAM" page 6.

You're always welcomed at our court.

Cheers,
    CornChip

3. JasonMichael

JasonMichael Regular Member

IT consultant
    Hello Vietnam friends!

I will be going to Ho Chi Minh City from 9th Oct till 11th Oct. Would like to make some friends in the badminton court over there during my Holiday cum Business trip. Your positive response is appreciated :)

Jason.

4. DavidPizer

DavidPizer New Member

Research Scientist
    JasonMichael

Hi Jason,

I was only in HCMC for several (5) holidays over last 2-3 years, I love the place. I live in Edinburgh, UK.

I was able to play in the park (west end) next to Pham Ngu Lao, (tourist area) District 1.

On Weekdays people bring equipment and set up courts from about 5.30am and play 'till about 7am. You can go dressed for a game and just look hopeful and some locals WILL invite you to play. You may end up playing 3-a-side if its crowded.

Not sure what happens at the weekends -- probably the same as many people work 6 or 7 days a week anyway. Maybe you can get to play later too at weekends.

The are many local courts scattered around the city. Maybe you can meet people who will take you to one. You can offer to pay.

Also you can take shuttlecocks to the park just out of courtisy -- though i didnt do that.

Have a great time there. I'm curious to hear what your business is to take you there. Will you be a regular visitor ? I may be back there sometime.

Good Luck

David Pizer

5. JasonMichael

IT consultant
    Hi David,

Thanks for your sharing your experiences over there. I appreciate it. I'm an avid fan of the badminton game. I play almost everyday in Malaysia. You never know how crazy I can get about badminton :p. I thought maybe if I had nothing much to do in the evening, I could go to a badminton court in the city and play some baddy games and make more friends.
    This will be my first trip there, and hopefully not the last, but going from what you said, I will be going there more often.
    I'm in the alternative health and wellness business. I will be travelling initially throughout Asia, then to Europe and America to build the business.
    my company has just had their opening ceremony over there and am curious to see the development of the business and also be part of its success. You can pm me if you wanna know more :p

Jason

6. DavidPizer

DavidPizer New Member

Research Scientist
    World Badminton

Hi Jason,

Yeah -- badminton is great.

Your work sounds great too -- travelling the world and starting up new business is exciting.

I am co-founder of my company: Pelamis Wave Power see www.pelamiswave.com

I am a mathematician and did wave power research in universities before helping Pelamis project get off the ground. I am now considering lifestyle change from the last 11years in Edinburgh with Pelamis -- so thats why i'm interested to hear what lifestyles other worldly people have built for themselves. I particularly like Asia: I worked for over 2 years in Japan on a wave energy machine they built there before the Pelamis project -- but have now got a bit stuck in Edinburgh.

Here is my email address: davidpizer@googlemail.com. If you come to Edinburgh on your world tour you can certainly join the casual groups I play with -- 3x a week. I am on couchsurfing too.

Do you have a website for your business ?

Cheers

David

7. JasonMichael

IT consultant
    Hi David,

I sent you an email just a few minutes back. Hope we can continue communicating from there :p

Jason.

8. permanis

permanis Regular Member

Badminton in HCMC

Dear Jason,

As your stay is rather short, I can only point out that there are many players playing on Saturday morning/afternoon 10-1 at Thanh Thai courts.The place have 10 indoor synthetic courts. All courts are full of players in their 20s. Some of them are district players.

Depending on where you stay, it is about 15 minutes by taxi from District 1 via Ba Thang Hai Road ( a major arterial road in HCMC).

I used to play there for 1 month on different days though. That's how I knew the place.The builiding is like a replica of Taman Megah (the one behind the food court).

I believe there is a Mr Hieu who has a posting on advising people to play there.

If you need any further help, just let me know.

Permanis

9. JasonMichael

IT consultant
    Hi Permanis,

Thks for your help. I didn't manage to go there as mentioned earlier due to work here. But will definitely try in a few months time.
    Do you go there often?
    Actually I play quite regularly at taman megah in pj. Do you also play there?

Jason

10. permanis

permanis Regular Member

Hi Jason
    Next time I hope you can play at Thanh Thai when in HCMC.Depending on your standard, the courts will have beginner players all the way to HCMC district players.You just have to see which standard suit you.Badminton is a very popular game in Vietnam.
    No I don't play at Taman Megah.I happen to go there to eat when I am in KL. Being a badminton player myself, I had a look at the courts there.I play in Sydney -twice a week.

Permanis