Black Knight Vortex Radon Review

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by smash_master, Aug 21, 2008.

1. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    Alright well ive had a few days to use these racquets and check out them overall and all the little details so i figure its time to write up a review on them.

DSCF0870.JPG
    DSCF0871.JPG
    Black Knight Vortex Radon with Ashway PowerGut 65's @ 27lbs
    DSCF0872.JPG
    Black Knight Vortex Radon with Ashway MicroLegend XL's @ 27lbs
    DSCF0873.JPG
    Black Knight Vortex Radon with Yonex BG 65's @ 27lbs

Alright well 1st off i strung them with different strings to try them out to see which i like, ive always used BG 65 cause they dont snap fast and break way before theres a noticible drop in tension.

Alright so on with the review so first impressions the astethics of the racquet how it looks isnt that bad i dont find it as an ugly racquet it looks pretty nice i find. the green isnt like a solid green its matallic kinda it changes color with the way light hits it gets lighter and darker kinda goes into a yellow green to a dark green. the racquet itself has a little weight to it but not much since its only 86grams. it is however head heavy and this is noticable along with it is a stiff racquet its one of the stiffest that black knight makes to the best of my knowledge as well as is the stiffest ive used to date.

for those of you who will ask me to compare it to some other racquets in those catagories well i did i compared it to a Forza kevlar 7, Yonex at900 power and technique as well as a Yonex at700 old and new. alright so out of all those racquets listed the Radon won in terms of stiffness it was stiffer than all of them although in terms of head hevyness it was about on par if not a little more head heavy than the at700 both old and new.

Now in terms of playability it is deffinetly a good racquet to use if you can flex the shaft and i really enjoy using it. i let a few friends use it and they wernt able to even clear past half court let alone generate power from it after using it for a while and said it was to stiff and heavy for them. but in terms of manouvarbility i find that its really good i didnt feel slow in terms of defending even when compared to the other 5 racquets but thats just me. in terms of power when hitting it can out power the others provided that you can flex the shaft then you will deffinetly notice it, if you cant then the others are more powerful since there shafts are more flexible.

overall i would say that its a solid racquet thats designed for a really offensive player who likes to attack and be agressive. but more so is designed for a person with a compact/explosive swing as well who wants a head heavy racquet. its a great racquet i find and cant wait to use it more. if theres anything that slipped my mind and i forgot to add in the review or anything that you would like to know let me know, this is the 1st time im writting a review for a racquet on here so yeah i might have forgotten some stuff.

2. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    Nice review.

I thought 86g is pretty standard for most Yonex racquets.

The shaft looks a little thick. Would you say it's thicker than the shaft of AT900/AT700?

Also how would you rate the feel of it?

Thanks!

3. smash_master

player/coach/student
    yes the shaft is deffinetly thicker than the shafts of the at900 and at700.

well in terms of feel id say that its 9/10 when your playing you can feel the head heavyness and stiff shaft but after hitting a shot its a good solid feeling and when playing touch shots theres nothing holding back in that aspect either you can get nice tight shots as well as can control where you want to put the shuttle relatively easy. so overall the feel of it is great i liked it more than the at900 and the at700 but thats just me.

4. XLR88

XLR88 Regular Member

Student
    you say that the rackets really stiff is it stiffer than the NS 9000 Type-X????

5. what07

what07 Regular Member

Out of the vortex series the Radeon is the stiffest and heaviest. To bad they don't make it in 68cm length.

6. smash_master

player/coach/student
    yes it is stiffer than the NS 9000 Type-X

7. kevo_1616

kevo_1616 Regular Member

Badminton Player
    I tryed this racuet and didn't like it. It felt o.k for everything exept my clears didnt feel relaxed and powerful.

8. bprevoe

bprevoe Regular Member

Head Coach @ Mandarin BC
    means its too stiff for you

9. bprevoe

bprevoe Regular Member

Head Coach @ Mandarin BC
    are you positive you arent biased? (looks like your sposored too)

10. bprevoe

bprevoe Regular Member

Head Coach @ Mandarin BC
    are you sure this isnt biased?

11. smash_master

player/coach/student
    i am not sponsored by black knight this season but i still stand by what i said, me personally i really liked that racquet a lot and found it easy to use, it was a great stiffness and heaviness i wasn't fragile or anything and its not one of those racquets that i found a pain to get use to but thats just me. the review is just based on my experiences and what i noticed using the racquet i can see how people would not like it if there not able to flex the shaft and all that stuff, so if you read it you would notice i mentioned how there's possible points about how somebody might not like it etc and all that stuff, i didn't just say its a great racquet buy it.

#11 smash_master, Feb 7, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  12. quik_silver

quik_silver Regular Member

Analyst
    wow brian prevoe in bc lol :p welcome to here, heard a lot about you :p

and he's just giving his own opinion.. could be bias could be not.. so it's hard to say.

13. bprevoe

bprevoe Regular Member

Head Coach @ Mandarin BC
    ok, ok,no hard feelings

14. bprevoe

bprevoe Regular Member

Head Coach @ Mandarin BC
    Thanks! *bow* .................

15. bprevoe

bprevoe Regular Member

Head Coach @ Mandarin BC
    i know how some people like to grip all the way up and then hold the racquet at the but and hit with it like a whip- if you do that, this isnt the racquet for you- get more flexi racquet

16. bprevoe

bprevoe Regular Member

Head Coach @ Mandarin BC
    i wonder why mike beres still sticks to the Photon PCV

17. XLR88

XLR88 Regular Member

Student
    hey how you get the bulge at the bottom of your racket?

18. mearfx

mearfx Regular Member

Media Tech, Full-Time Badminton player
    I'm Assuming your talking about the racquet handle. He simply used the grip to build it up many players i know do that. I personally do it so the ridge of plastic that is the butt cap doesnt slip and hit my hand.

19. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

For those intersted Smash_master is no longer sponsored by Black Night, he is now sponsored by ZELM

20. mearfx

mearfx Regular Member

Media Tech, Full-Time Badminton player
    Yeah so if you have any questions about BK I guess you can ask me I just got a full sponsorship from them so yeah..