Maria Kristin Yulianti

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by copadh, Aug 17, 2008.

1. copadh

copadh Regular Member

Does the Olympics Games result count for world ranking points? Anybody knows how much it counts and Maria (and Zhang Ning) ranks next Thursday?
    Big thanks

2. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Yup, it follows World Championship ranking pts. Ranking pts from last years World Championships will be superseeded.

3. badMania

badMania Regular Member

I think Maria Kristin will rise up to WR15 or 16 by next week. Not too bad.

4. copadh

copadh Regular Member

Thank you, abedeng...
    Does it mean 4.800 points Maria got from round 16 in WC'07 will be deleted, and 8.400 points will be granted as a bronze medallist in OG'08? It will gives her 3.600 added points for 35.223 points she had now, right?
    I'm still novice on this...:D

5. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Yeaa, something like that... ;)

6. Ningtyas

Ningtyas Regular Member

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Dear moderators,
    now that OG is over, woudn't it be better if this thread moved to the Professional Players forum?

meanwhile, here is an article about Maria from The Jakarta Post.
    ==============
    August 18, 2008[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial]Maria Kristin Yulianti: New face in women's badminton[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Primastuti Handayani, The Jakarta Post, Beijing[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]She walks slowly onto the court with a blank face. When the match begins, she looks like she will not chase after the shuttlecock. Please welcome "Queen of three games" Maria Kristin Yulianti of Indonesia![/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]At the age of 23 (a little older than your average Asian shuttler) Maria earned a bronze medal in the women's singles badminton competition at the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]This was an achievement in itself since none of Indonesia's entrants in the same event four years ago (in Athens) were able to qualify. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]"The result surpassed my personal target of making it to the quarterfinals. Of course I am happy," said Maria who is currently ranked 21 in the world. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Top seeds may ask how she did it. Maria not only upset Danish sixth seed Tine Rasmussen in the 16th round, but also blocked the Chinese from making a clean sweep of the medals by defeating third seed Lu Lan 11-21, 21-13, 21-15. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Born in the coastal town of Tuban, East Java, Maria began practicing badminton at the age of 10 in her hometown, before joining the Djarum club in 1998. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Djarum (based in Kudus, Central Java) is one of the biggest badminton clubs in Indonesia, however Maria was not happy there. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]"I hated badminton back then. The reason why I joined the club was because my father forced me to, but if it was up to me I would have chosen volleyball." [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Maria's father, Yuli Purnomo, loves Badminton and still coaches children in the neighborhood. But neither of her siblings -- Krisnathan Yulianto and Magda Thalia Yulianti -- took to the sport. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]It took Maria eight years of intensive training at the Djarum club before she grabbed her first title at the Surabaya Satellite. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] "I realized badminton was my life. I preferred badminton to study, so I had to dedicate myself to it," she said. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]The year 2005 was a turning point in Maria's sporting career. She and the other national female shuttlers -- who for the first time in history failed to qualify for the Uber Cup women's team championship -- were given an ultimatum by the Badminton Association of Indonesia (PBSI) to improve their form or leave the national training center. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]The PBSI called in the 2000 Sydney Olympics silver medalist and 2001 world champion, Hendrawan, to coach the female shuttlers. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] At that time, Hendrawan said he could get them medals at the 2008 Olympics -- and he kept his promise. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]"This victory is for Hendrawan. He was the one who got me this far. I didn't expect this to happen. Hendrawan not only taught me badminton, but he taught me how to deal with life," said Maria (who is now coached by Hendrawan's former assistant, Marlev Mainaky) after the bronze medal playoff match. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Hendrawan not only trained the girls in badminton technique, but also boosted their motivation in off-court matters. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] "He's democratic. He allowed us to argue and have discussions and he has a good sense of humor. Hendrawan often gave us guidance and evaluated our performance -- especially at major events," Maria added. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Hendrawan and Marlev have different play techniques, Maria said. "While Hendrawan is good in long rallies and lobs, Marlev prefers drives and fast rallies." [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] The loyal reader of Detective Conan (manga) is now ready to take on more responsibility. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]"We have proven we can improve. PBSI should not discriminate against us with the male players," she said. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Even 1992 Barcelona Olympics gold medalist Susy Susanti praised Maria's achievement. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] "Women's singles players need more opportunities to prove they can follow in Maria's footsteps. We need new talents to support her," Susy said. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]When asked if she was ready to be the next Susy, Maria answered, "Susy has everything." [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] "I still have a lot to learn to become like her." [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]But with her recent win, Maria's name will never be the same.[/FONT]

7. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

i believe she can rock the world in the future.

8. Erwin Kyoto

Erwin Kyoto Regular Member

hope it will be started on Japan SS 2008....:D;)

9. Jagdpanther

Jagdpanther Regular Member

Uni Student
    Had she chosen volleyball...

10. agakarebatu

agakarebatu Regular Member

... and I guess we would never known a girl named Maria Kristin Yulianti.

:D:D:D

11. Jagdpanther

Jagdpanther Regular Member

Uni Student
    You're going to watch all her games, then?;)

12. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    I hope I will be there.....may be on weekend only...:p

13. Erwin Kyoto

Jagd, I also hope can watch her games on this Japan SS....but still dont know whether I have a chance to go there (Tokyo) or not bcause I must finish all works in Kyoto before leave Japan on this Sept:crying:..to go back to homeland ("pulang kampung")..:(

14. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    soon..your screen name will Erwin-Betawi.....:D:DErwin_batavia...(keren):D

15. Erwin Kyoto

hahaha...:D..I dont think so...but will be Erwin Samarinda...east part of your land (Pontianak)..:p

16. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    then Erwin_coal....:D:D...

17. markham player

markham player Regular Member

medical
    Her play will be carefully studied & analyzed by the Chinese coaches from now on since OG08, she becomes a major threat to the Chinese superiority in WS. Will she replace ZN as either #1 or #2 at the world ranking list?

18. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    World #1 or #2? Unlikely... :p But given her recent performance [and if it continues], I will not be surprised if Maria can break the top 10 by the beginning of next year... ;)

19. badMania

badMania Regular Member

We certainly hope so. She will be in the top 16 by end of this week (when the ranking table is out). Players like Zhang Ning, Xie Xingfang, Xu Huaiwen, Wang Chen, Pi Hongyan, and Tine Rasmussen have either expressed their wish to retire or will be retiring soon. So, Maria Kristin surely can break into the top 10 pretty soon.

The new top 10 will be filled with players like: Lu Lan, Zhu Lin, Wong Mew Choo, Zhou Mi, Yip Pui Yin, Jun Jae Youn, Saina Nehwal, and Maria Kristin :)

20. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    OMG, you're right! If those 27+ year-old players all retire, then Maria could be a top player! :eek: ...[by virtue of vacancy... :p] But seriously, Wang Yihan is a very good talent and a future top player... Wang Lin... er what happened to her?!? Lost focus or something... puberty problems maybe...? :confused:

There is a possibility that Maria will cry too if she is the #2 ranked player on Earth and then loose the Bronze medal game to the #21 player from China at that time... :p