User Tag List

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonc108 View Post
    I am sad to see that this good forum of badminton always flood with im-mature fans, who have a habit of accusing whoever beat their favourite players with disgraceful grounds, like cheating, match-fixing... instead of reviewing the matches from technical points of view for the sake of the sports of badminton.

Badminton would be killed by this kind of fans, not by BWF, not by LYB, not be anyone else.

For the sport of badminton to flourish and enjoy more coverage in the world, we need some stardom like other sports such as tennis and golf.

Like it or not, LD does bring more excitement and made badminton more spectacular than LCW. So pls do not disgrace any players by un-sound means, as long as they win on the court by rackets, not by guns or money.
    It is hard for some badminton fans to listen to the truth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dato Asbullah View Post
    1. Whether WCH or LCW win in the semi (as your assumption above), it's none of the business of Rexy, bcos he incharged of MD's and not Singles.

2. Swimmer and football is individual event. U cant see France National Football Team A and Team B participating in the WC. In the matter of ''PLAYING PROFESSIONALLY SMART'', this is to depend on how people judge and also the authority on how they handle the things. You can win a match with respect from the audience or you can win the match with dirty tricks (or similiar to you ''playing professionally smart'' theory). U see the thing's clear, but i see as dirty. It's personal view of point.

3. I am not finding excuses on the lost of LCW's against LD in the final. What i am sick of is the MATCH FIXING ARRANGEMENT in the semis.
    yea? it didn't even matter, LIN DAN HAMMERED LEE CHONG WEI. LIKE DESTROYED OUT OF THIS WORLD. 18-4 at one point? I bet you LD gave LCW those last few points too. LCW should be LD's slave now to repay LD for not humuliating him as much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by XtC-604 View Post
    yea? it didn't even matter, LIN DAN HAMMERED LEE CHONG WEI. LIKE DESTROYED OUT OF THIS WORLD. 18-4 at one point? I bet you LD gave LCW those last few points too. LCW should be LD's slave now to repay LD for not humuliating him as much.
    Wow. humiliating? It's a shame to play against CHN player whose tolerance with MATCH FIXING ARRANGEMENT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bananakid View Post
    The way LCW lost to LD, I would question that there might be some fixing of the match there as even Ng Wei gave LD a much harder time. Would you like me to send you the link to download the match between LD and Ng Wei?
    oh, don't forget the LD versus peter gade match too. Gade_supporter had created a thread just to make this point, that peter gade gave LD a much harder time and taken more points from LD than LCW did against LD. He said peter should be a bronze or a silver medalist. Maybe PG versus LD match was fixed too, lol. According to pjswift, those longer rallies between LD and PG aren't really energy intensive, just some long but low energy rallies, lol.

LD beat PG, 21-13, 21-16 /45 mins
    LD beat lcw 21-12, 21-8 / 41 mins
    Last edited by cooler; 09-06-2008 at 01:41 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cooler View Post
    ok, LD, guojingjing, huo liang, anymore?

china has 51 gold and 21 silver medalists.
    Yao Ming , Liu Xiang??
    Last edited by lin_xingfang; 09-06-2008 at 09:41 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow LD feared playing LCW more than playing PG at the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games

Quote Originally Posted by cooler View Post

Gade_supporter had created a thread just to make this point, that peter gade gave LD a much harder time and taken more points from LD than LCW did against LD. He said peter should be a bronze or a silver medalist.

LD beat PG, 21-13, 21-16 /45 mins
    LD beat lcw 21-12, 21-8 / 41 mins

IMHO, LD feared playing LCW more than playing PG at the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games. And because of this, LD allowed PG "more breathing space".

But when LD played LCW, LD went 'All Out'. That's why the match between LCW and LD was shorter (although by not much, just 4 minutes).

Unfortunately for PG's fans, PG was not seeded higher (because of his unfortunate injury). Otherwise, PG could , IMHO, win a medal as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chris@ccc View Post
    IMHO, LD feared playing LCW more than playing PG at the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games. And because of this, LD allowed PG "more breathing space".

But when LD played LCW, LD went 'All Out'. That's why the match between LCW and LD was shorter (although by not much, just 4 minutes).

Unfortunately for PG's fans, PG was not seeded higher (because of his unfortunate injury). Otherwise, PG could , IMHO, win a medal as well.

"ALL OUT" against LCW... yeah LD did do that, but that was not even necessary at all.

Would you like me to send you the link to download the PG vs LD match?

In that match, Gade was playing well... even better than LCW was.
    LD was much faster than Gade just like LD was much faster than LCW was, but Gade adapted to it, and therefore gave LD a tougher time. If Gade could've retained his composure in the second half of the second set, he could've taken the second set... but of course he didn't.

There were times in the match where Gade had LD frozen with his deceptive shots... I didn't see any of that by LCW at all. may be 1 cross court smash at 7-2 in the first set, and that's about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"ALL OUT" against LCW... yeah LD did do that, but that was not even necessary at all.

Would you like me to send you the link to download the PG vs LD match?

In that match, Gade was playing well... even better than LCW was.
    LD was much faster than Gade just like LD was much faster than LCW was, but Gade adapted to it, and therefore gave LD a tougher time. If Gade could've retained his composure in the second half of the second set, he could've taken the second set... but of course he didn't.

There were times in the match where Gade had LD frozen with his deceptive shots... I didn't see any of that by LCW at all. may be 1 cross court smash at 7-2 in the first set, and that's about it.
    This implies that you're one of those who think that PG deserved the medal more than Lee CW?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow LCW to compete as World No.1 in the Japan Open 2008, Tokyo Sept 16-21

News article from The Star Online today, Sunday 7-Sep-2008: click here

====== * ====== start article ====== * ======

Badminton: Lee’s missions

By RAJES PAUL

KUALA LUMPUR: National shuttler Lee Chong Wei has never won a title when ranked as world No. 1.

He has a chance to set the record straight when he competes in the Japan Open, which will be held in Tokyo from Sept 16-21.

Chong Wei: Has held to the No. 1 spot for a second consecutive week.

In 2006, Chong Wei took part in the Macau Open as the top seed and the world No. 1 but failed to justify his status when he lost to China’s Lin Dan in the final.

His coach Datuk Misbun Sidek, however, is looking beyond the Japan Open.

Misbun wants Chong Wei to be the first Malaysian player to maintain his world No. 1 ranking for a long time, although he knows it won’t be easy.

His former charges – Rashid Sidek and Mohd Roslin Hashim –also reached the No. 1 spot but only for a brief spell.

Chong Wei, he said, would have to work hard on two areas of his game if he wanted to extend his stay at the top spot, which had been dominated by Olympic champion Lin Dan for about two years.

“Not only must Chong Wei be able to handle the pressure that I will put on him in training but he must also improve his physical condition,” said Misbun at Stadium Juara in Bukit Kiara yesterday.

“It is good that Chong Wei has held on to the No. 1 spot for a second consecutive week. But it is important that he maintains it for a longer period. It will be difficult to climb up the ladder again if he drops down the rankings.”

Misbun was all smiles when talking about Chong Wei’s attitude towards training, although the shuttler had been kept busy with so many functions since returning as the silver medallist from the Beijing Olympic Games.

“He is not at his best physical condition. He is still tired. But I admire his spirit. He has been demanding for more in training. The pace of training will pick up from Monday,” said Misbun.

“It is a delight to see Chong Wei handling all this (the fame after winning the silver medal for the first time in 12 years for the country) very well. He is humble.”

At the Japan Open, defending champion Chong Wei’s first real test will come in the quarter-finals against Simon Santoso of Indonesia. Also in the same half with the Malaysian is another Indonesian, Taufik Hidayat.

In the lower half are second seed Sony Dwi Kuncoro of Indonesia, China’s Chen Yu and Peter Gade-Christensen of Denmark.

====== * ====== end article ====== * ======

Could it be a LCW vs PG Final ?

Last edited by chris-ccc; 09-07-2008 at 06:02 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jagdpanther View Post
    This implies that you're one of those who think that PG deserved the medal more than Lee CW?
    No... this ONLY implies that I think Peter Gade played better than LCW did during the Olympics. Plus Lin Dan did play at a higher level than usual while playing against both Gade and LCW. That's all.

Yet, too much assumption and imagination on your part...
    Last edited by bananakid; 09-07-2008 at 08:26 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

News article from The Star Online today, Sunday 7-Sep-2008: click here

====== * ====== start article ====== * ======

Badminton: Lee’s missions

By RAJES PAUL

KUALA LUMPUR: National shuttler Lee Chong Wei has never won a title when ranked as world No. 1.

He has a chance to set the record straight when he competes in the Japan Open, which will be held in Tokyo from Sept 16-21.

Chong Wei: Has held to the No. 1 spot for a second consecutive week.

In 2006, Chong Wei took part in the Macau Open as the top seed and the world No. 1 but failed to justify his status when he lost to China’s Lin Dan in the final.

His coach Datuk Misbun Sidek, however, is looking beyond the Japan Open.

Misbun wants Chong Wei to be the first Malaysian player to maintain his world No. 1 ranking for a long time, although he knows it won’t be easy.

His former charges – Rashid Sidek and Mohd Roslin Hashim –also reached the No. 1 spot but only for a brief spell.

Chong Wei, he said, would have to work hard on two areas of his game if he wanted to extend his stay at the top spot, which had been dominated by Olympic champion Lin Dan for about two years.

“Not only must Chong Wei be able to handle the pressure that I will put on him in training but he must also improve his physical condition,” said Misbun at Stadium Juara in Bukit Kiara yesterday.

“It is good that Chong Wei has held on to the No. 1 spot for a second consecutive week. But it is important that he maintains it for a longer period. It will be difficult to climb up the ladder again if he drops down the rankings.”

Misbun was all smiles when talking about Chong Wei’s attitude towards training, although the shuttler had been kept busy with so many functions since returning as the silver medallist from the Beijing Olympic Games.

“He is not at his best physical condition. He is still tired. But I admire his spirit. He has been demanding for more in training. The pace of training will pick up from Monday,” said Misbun.

“It is a delight to see Chong Wei handling all this (the fame after winning the silver medal for the first time in 12 years for the country) very well. He is humble.”

At the Japan Open, defending champion Chong Wei’s first real test will come in the quarter-finals against Simon Santoso of Indonesia. Also in the same half with the Malaysian is another Indonesian, Taufik Hidayat.

In the lower half are second seed Sony Dwi Kuncoro of Indonesia, China’s Chen Yu and Peter Gade-Christensen of Denmark.

====== * ====== end article ====== * ======

Could it be a LCW vs PG Final ?

The highlighted part is absolutely funny... if the ranking points has not made any kind of adjustment(may be except for some really low ranking players) since there had not been a REAL tournament in the last couple of weeks, then of course LCW can keep his ranking for a total of "2" weeks. It takes no effort on LCW's part, and the comment is nothing more than a joke.

The first Hong Kong Olympics GOLD medalist in history probably didn't receive as much fame for winning the gold compare to LCW with a silver.
    Last edited by bananakid; 09-07-2008 at 08:24 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Is it a mistake for LCW to elect to play when LD elects not to play?

The highlighted part is absolutely funny... if the ranking points has not made any kind of adjustment(may be except for some really low ranking players) since there had not been a REAL tournament in the last couple of weeks, then of course LCW can keep his ranking for a total of "2" weeks. It takes no effort on LCW's part, and the comment is nothing more than a joke.

Is it a mistake for LCW to elect to play when LD elects not to play?

bananakid ... Very surprised in what you have mentioned in your last post.

Everyone here at Badminton Central knows that the World Ranking is based on the points gained by players when they have played well when participating in tournaments. When players elect not to participate, they get "Love Point".

Look at the coming Japan 2008, LD has decided not to participate. LD has elected to not to gain points again.

So why do we have to ridicule LCW?

LCW will move further up in points. And he will be World No.1 for a longer period.

Are you suggesting that LCW should not participate whenever LD is not participating?

There are many
    higher ranked players in the world who could be beaten by lower ranked players. Should we be ridiculing all these higher ranked players?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it a mistake for LCW to elect to play when LD elects not to play?

bananakid ... Very surprised in what you have mentioned in your last post.

Everyone here at Badminton Central knows that the World Ranking is based on the points gained by players when they have played well when participating in tournaments. When players elect not to participate, they get "Love Point".

Look at the coming Japan 2008, LD has decided not to participate. LD has elected to not to gain points again.

So why do we have to ridicule LCW?

LCW will move further up in points. And he will be World No.1 for a longer period.

Are you suggesting that LCW should not participate whenever LD is not participating?

There are many
    higher ranked players in the world who could be beaten by lower ranked players. Should we be ridiculing all these higher ranked players?

I don't know if it is my poor English, or something else is wrong here... but somehow you completely misunderstood my post.

All that I said was that there had not been a tournament between end of Olympics and NOW(September 7th, 2008 Canada time), so of course LCW could have maintained his #1 spot since nobody's ranking point has changed, but then Misbun made it sound like it was nice that LCW could have kept it for two weeks(which nothing had happened at all)... Does this clarify things at all? or do I need to explain again?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow Misbun should know that the rankings would only go up/down in tournaments

I don't know if it is my poor English, or something else is wrong here... but somehow you completely misunderstood my post.

All that I said was that there had not been a tournament between end of Olympics and NOW(September 7th, 2008 Canada time), so of course LCW could have maintained his #1 spot since nobody's ranking point has changed, but then Misbun made it sound like it was nice that LCW could have kept it for two weeks(which nothing had happened at all)... Does this clarify things at all? or do I need to explain again?

Sorry bananakid ... You are correct. There is something wrong here with the word "week".

Actually, I read it as It is good that Chong Wei has held on to the No. 1 spot for a second consecutive tournament".

Sometimes I don't read by the words, but by the ideas.

I am quite sure that the reporter has made a typo. I am sure that Misbun was saying that he's glad that LCW can hold on to "the No.1 spot for a second consecutive tournament"; Because he went to say "But it is important that he maintains it for a longer period. It will be difficult to climb up the ladder again if he drops down the rankings.”

Misbun should know that the rankings would only go up/down in tournaments, and that the weekly rankings would not change if there are no tournaments played.

Last edited by chris-ccc; 09-07-2008 at 04:06 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All that can be done is whine, cry & doubt but that won't change historical facts - TH, a one-time WC & OC and LD, a 3-time AEC, 2-time WC & current OC. And these two players have brought much international media interest to badminton. Go look & read the recent Time mag., these are probably the only 2 badminton players whom Time mag think there is space worth their mention. It's time, B'cers come out of the box and be subjective.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joyous View Post
    All that can be done is whine, cry & doubt but that won't change historical facts - TH, a one-time WC & OC and LD, a 3-time AEC, 2-time WC & current OC. And these two players have brought much international media interest to badminton. Go look & read the recent Time mag., these are probably the only 2 badminton players whom Time mag think there is space worth their mention. It's time, B'cers come out of the box and be subjective.
    What do you mean by 'be subjective'?
    And you regard Time magazine as an authority on badminton?
    I don't know about its US edition but Time's Asia edition have often fallen short on Asian features.One of its most famous is its feature on 'Asian faces to watch...'Former MAS Deputy Prime Minister Musa Hitam was listed as one of them and guess what happened to him? Maybe he got jinxed by Time. And there were many others who did not live up to Time's tales.When an ex-colleague ,known for getting full credit for work done by others, got a full page feature, it dawned on me Time's space may be not worth much in spite of its circulation.
    However I'm delighted badminton got coverage through LD and TH . I'm also happy for you that you judge badminton aces by their badminton credentials because that's the easiest way to do it, just as Time did.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote=chris@ccc;971727].
    Sorry bananakid ... You are correct. There is something wrong here with the word "week".

Actually, I read it as It is good that Chong Wei has held on to the No. 1 spot for a second consecutive tournament".

Sometimes I don't read by the words, but by the ideas.

I am quite sure that the reporter has made a typo. I am sure that Misbun was saying that he's glad that LCW can hold on to "the No.1 spot for a second consecutive tournament"; Because he went to say "But it is important that he maintains it for a longer period. It will be difficult to climb up the ladder again if he drops down the rankings.”

Misbun's (unedited?) comment suggests he does not quite understand how ranking points work.So too with other non-CHN coaches.It's easier for LCW to climb up the rankings than to stay no 1.In JO07, LCW was seeded no.4? and he took out HH, RS, CJ, LD and TH to win the title.It's easier to beat CHN MS in earlier rounds before they have the opportunity to play LYB's games.That's why KOR MS seem not bothered about maintaining their rankings.
    A high ranking is a reflection of consistency.It means the player participates in a fair number of top level tournaments and does well in (almost)all of them.
    They are still vulnerable to lower ranked players (like LHI) who plays less often but can match and defeat them when motivated.
    You look at how Rexy decides to send his MDs and it also indicates a lack of understanding.Rexy's decisions seem to be based on whether his MDs deserve to.That's more emotional than rational.He has been blessed with such a gifted array of MAS MDs he is in an enviable position of securing MD titles through domination by quantity with quality over time.Initially, he should ask for extra funding to send maximum no of MDs so that over time, all of them are ranked high enough to be seeded or not have to play qualifying.Once that is achieved , he can then rotate his MDs so that they play often enough to at least maintain their rankings with minimum funding.Once a base of 8 decent ranked MDs is established and available for SS anytime,even by fielding 4 to 6 MDs to any SS, the chances of a MAS MD winning a title would be good. And done honestly without degrading to LYB's kind of schemes.

Similarly for MAS MS. BAM gotta to maximise funding now to maximise opportunities for at least 10 MJ to play a mix of GP and SS tournaments.They are gonna lose more than win but that's the way before real progress is made.So that by 2012, MAS will have 4 or 5 decent MS to choose from.(And really if HH cannot get past R2 for CM, his SS place should be given to an MJ while he goes for GP level to develop his mental and physical stamina and competitive confidence again.)

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast