User Tag List

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Time Mag. may not be right all the time. BTW, which and who is right all the time. Time Mag. mentioned TH and LD names but didn't predict them as outright winner for Oly.

Cheers pjswift.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A very insightful opening sentence LOL.

LCW did pretty well in the past year so he deserves the No. 1 title. Although one must realize that if LD didn't lose to CJ in AE and ABC, LD should still be No. 1. But, match-fixing or not, that's LD's own choice anyway, and he indeed benefited from it in the OG.

Quote Originally Posted by chris@ccc View Post
    News article from The Star Online today, Sunday 7-Sep-2008: click here

====== * ====== start article ====== * ======

Badminton: Lee’s missions

By RAJES PAUL

KUALA LUMPUR: National shuttler Lee Chong Wei has never won a title when ranked as world No. 1.

He has a chance to set the record straight when he competes in the Japan Open, which will be held in Tokyo from Sept 16-21.

Chong Wei: Has held to the No. 1 spot for a second consecutive week.

In 2006, Chong Wei took part in the Macau Open as the top seed and the world No. 1 but failed to justify his status when he lost to China’s Lin Dan in the final.

His coach Datuk Misbun Sidek, however, is looking beyond the Japan Open.

Misbun wants Chong Wei to be the first Malaysian player to maintain his world No. 1 ranking for a long time, although he knows it won’t be easy.

His former charges – Rashid Sidek and Mohd Roslin Hashim –also reached the No. 1 spot but only for a brief spell.

Chong Wei, he said, would have to work hard on two areas of his game if he wanted to extend his stay at the top spot, which had been dominated by Olympic champion Lin Dan for about two years.

“Not only must Chong Wei be able to handle the pressure that I will put on him in training but he must also improve his physical condition,” said Misbun at Stadium Juara in Bukit Kiara yesterday.

“It is good that Chong Wei has held on to the No. 1 spot for a second consecutive week. But it is important that he maintains it for a longer period. It will be difficult to climb up the ladder again if he drops down the rankings.”

Misbun was all smiles when talking about Chong Wei’s attitude towards training, although the shuttler had been kept busy with so many functions since returning as the silver medallist from the Beijing Olympic Games.

“He is not at his best physical condition. He is still tired. But I admire his spirit. He has been demanding for more in training. The pace of training will pick up from Monday,” said Misbun.

“It is a delight to see Chong Wei handling all this (the fame after winning the silver medal for the first time in 12 years for the country) very well. He is humble.”

At the Japan Open, defending champion Chong Wei’s first real test will come in the quarter-finals against Simon Santoso of Indonesia. Also in the same half with the Malaysian is another Indonesian, Taufik Hidayat.

In the lower half are second seed Sony Dwi Kuncoro of Indonesia, China’s Chen Yu and Peter Gade-Christensen of Denmark.

====== * ====== end article ====== * ======

Could it be a LCW vs PG Final ?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow Badminton players are not individual/independent players

Quote Originally Posted by ye333 View Post

LCW did pretty well in the past year so he deserves the No. 1 title. Although one must realize that if LD didn't lose to CJ in AE and ABC, LD should still be No. 1. But, match-fixing or not, that's LD's own choice anyway, and he indeed benefited from it in the OG.

ye333 ... I don't think it's LD own choice.

Today, participants in Badminton, (same with sports like Cycling, Formula 1 Racing, etc...) are still under the instructions from Team Managements. If they disobey the instructions given to them, they could be excluded from their teams.

Only at such time when Badminton players are individual/independent players, then they could choose what they like to do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lin_xingfang View Post
    Yao Ming , Liu Xiang??
    these 2 didn't win any medals at 08 OG.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chris@ccc View Post
    IMHO, LD feared playing LCW more than playing PG at the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games. And because of this, LD allowed PG "more breathing space".

But when LD played LCW, LD went 'All Out'. That's why the match between LCW and LD was shorter (although by not much, just 4 minutes).

Unfortunately for PG's fans, PG was not seeded higher (because of his unfortunate injury). Otherwise, PG could , IMHO, win a medal as well.

that's because in this OG, the hot badminton topics were can PSH beat LD, can LCW beat LD, there were polls created for each of these matches. There are too many doubters out there and LD was committed silence all those doubters and non-believers. LD decided to use his rarely used 6th gear to beat psh and lcw to make a point. U see, if LD use his 6 gear all the time, people wil call his cocky, a showoff and arrogant so he only use it sparingly
    Last edited by cooler; 09-08-2008 at 07:22 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tuesday September 9, 2008
    Badminton: Chong Wei holds advantage to book world championships spot
    By RAJES PAUL
    KUALA LUMPUR: National number one Lee Chong Wei has a head start as far as qualification for next year’s World Badminton Champion-ships is concerned.

And he intends to keep the momentum going when he takes part in three back-to-back Open tournaments — Japan Open (Sept 16-21), China Masters (Sept 23-28) and Macau Open (Sept 30-Oct 5).

Chong Wei has set his sights on winning honours in the world championships, which will be held in India from Aug 10-16.

The 52-week qualifying period ends in May and the top 16 in the ranking are assured of places in the championships.

Chong Wei harboured hopes of becoming the first Malaysian world champion last year but he was beaten by Indonesian Sony Dwi Kuncoro in the third round at the Putra Stadium in Bukit Jalil.

In the first tournament that offered qualifying points for the world championships, the Beijing Olympics last month, Chong Wei emerged as runner-up to China’s Lin Dan.

He moved up one rung to number one in the ranking and will be out to retain the Japan Open title.

“In order to remain at the top, I have to win the Japan Open title,” said Chong Wei after a training session at Juara Stadium in Bukit Kiara yesterday.

“The qualifying period for the world championships has already begun. I want to do well in all the tournaments so that I can maintain my number one status for a long time.

“China and South Korea are not sending their best players to Tokyo. But I expect tough challenges from Indonesia and Denmark, who will have their best players there.”

Top seeded Chong Wei has in his half of the draw three Indonesians — fourth seed Taufik Hidayat, Simon Santoso and Tommy Sugiarto — and two Danes, Joachim Persson and Jan O. Jorgensen.

The other half of the draw has second seed Sony, three Chinese players — Chen Yu, Gong Weijie, Li Yu – and Dane Peter Gade-Christensen.

Chong Wei added that he was recovering from a bout of fever.

“I was down with fever on Friday but I had two days of good rest. I just slept in. But I will not let this affect my plan to do well in Japan,” he said.

Until a week ago, he had been busy attending numerous functions since winning the silver medal in the Beijing Olympics.

“I still think about the defeat by Lin Dan. He was so fast that I could not play my normal game,” he added.

“It hurts just thinking about the match. I even felt numb during the medal ceremony.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cooler View Post
    Tuesday September 9, 2008
    Badminton: Chong Wei holds advantage to book world championships spot
    By RAJES PAUL
    KUALA LUMPUR: National number one Lee Chong Wei has a head start as far as qualification for next year’s World Badminton Champion-ships is concerned.

And he intends to keep the momentum going when he takes part in three back-to-back Open tournaments — Japan Open (Sept 16-21), China Masters (Sept 23-28) and Macau Open (Sept 30-Oct 5).

Chong Wei has set his sights on winning honours in the world championships, which will be held in India from Aug 10-16.

The 52-week qualifying period ends in May and the top 16 in the ranking are assured of places in the championships.

Chong Wei harboured hopes of becoming the first Malaysian world champion last year but he was beaten by Indonesian Sony Dwi Kuncoro in the third round at the Putra Stadium in Bukit Jalil.

In the first tournament that offered qualifying points for the world championships, the Beijing Olympics last month, Chong Wei emerged as runner-up to China’s Lin Dan.

He moved up one rung to number one in the ranking and will be out to retain the Japan Open title.

“In order to remain at the top, I have to win the Japan Open title,” said Chong Wei after a training session at Juara Stadium in Bukit Kiara yesterday.

“The qualifying period for the world championships has already begun. I want to do well in all the tournaments so that I can maintain my number one status for a long time.

“China and South Korea are not sending their best players to Tokyo. But I expect tough challenges from Indonesia and Denmark, who will have their best players there.”

Top seeded Chong Wei has in his half of the draw three Indonesians — fourth seed Taufik Hidayat, Simon Santoso and Tommy Sugiarto — and two Danes, Joachim Persson and Jan O. Jorgensen.

The other half of the draw has second seed Sony, three Chinese players — Chen Yu, Gong Weijie, Li Yu – and Dane Peter Gade-Christensen.

Chong Wei added that he was recovering from a bout of fever.

“I was down with fever on Friday but I had two days of good rest. I just slept in. But I will not let this affect my plan to do well in Japan,” he said.

Until a week ago, he had been busy attending numerous functions since winning the silver medal in the Beijing Olympics.

“I still think about the defeat by Lin Dan. He was so fast that I could not play my normal game,” he added.

“It hurts just thinking about the match. I even felt numb during the medal ceremony.”
    LOL... The match hurt more people than LCW could ever imagine... Boleh spirit took a huge blow, and it will never be the same again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CLELY View Post
    Yup, Lee Chong Wei is current MS world #1 per 21 August/08. Previously LCW also had ever toppled LD as number one player in 2006 (short period).
    hey here

tell me please how long LD is at the top of rankings and what is his meeting score with LCW?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dassad View Post
    hey here

tell me please how long LD is at the top of rankings and what is his meeting score with LCW?
    maybe cooler or bananakid can help u on this..
    or u can check it out on the BWF website..
    here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by george@chongwei View Post
    maybe cooler or bananakid can help u on this..
    or u can check it out on the BWF website..
    here
    i was there but there are only 2007-2008 ratings..

but their battles are here: (9:3 for now)

http://www.internationalbadminton.or...me1=&txtName2=

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a bit strange how LD hold 1st rank for more than year and just after olympics win went down to 2nd.. as seems olympic medal doesnt change much.. as if Chong Wei won

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dassad View Post
    a bit strange how LD hold 1st rank for more than year and just after olympics win went down to 2nd.. as seems olympic medal doesnt change much.. as if Chong Wei won
    A very strange also a player can be in the No. 1 position although he has not ever win the major championship in his career.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dato Asbullah View Post
    A very strange also a player can be in the No. 1 position although he has not ever win the major championship in his career.
    anyway, thats the fact..
    we cannot change the fact..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by george@chongwei View Post
    anyway, thats the fact..
    we cannot change the fact..

Fact sometimes is cruel...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anybody knows how the points of a player works ? Like if player X wins player Y in the first round of a tournament, then how much point will player X get ?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zealous View Post
    Does anybody knows how the points of a player works ? Like if player X wins player Y in the first round of a tournament, then how much point will player X get ?

nope...it been fixed...see the rank of tournament...and different point for different stage......highest is bwf tournament(olympic,wc),and then super series then grand prix gold and so on...

the highest point is champion of bwf tournament...12000(lin dan wc point12000 been replace by OG champion point)so...no change......that the reason...and last year lcw lost in quater...but this time is runner up...more 2k ++ points...

only team event count base on opponent ranking + stage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dato Asbullah View Post
    ppl i am new here so just inform me very primitive news) what is major championships in badminton, who win, who strong.. i just saw the Olympics
    after this LD seems unbeatable but probably he is not

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast