WHat are the rules/etiquette with how fast you play a game?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by ouijaouija, Aug 22, 2008.

1. ouijaouija

ouijaouija Regular Member

Hi all

Trying to improve on singles, and I realise that generally speaking I like to tire my opponent out and this seems to work, but what are the rules about how fast you play i.e. do we have to give an opponent time to take a breather, or if I win a rally am I able to dictate the pace of the game by not allowing for any time to rest between each rally? If I win a rally I will pick up the shuttle and pretty much be ready to play the next rally.

The way I see it, I like to not allow for rest, if my strategy is to tire out the opponent I don't particularly want to give my opponent time for a breather, even if they ask for it... Am I right.. Wrong?

I don't do it to extreme levels, but I realise that some of my opponents want to slow the game down by taking a long time to take their serve etc etc..

Some players will also say they arne't ready, but I think if they are not ready, its not my fault, I am not doing sly quick serves or anything (i will get into the serve position and wait a while for my oppinent to get into position), i am just not letting them rest

Is it a little bit like tennis, there are no steadfast rules, just an aspect of psychological warfare??

#1 ouijaouija, Aug 22, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  2. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    you can take your time but there is a time limited on how long the mini break can be.

3. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    When you get a point, and get the bird, get ready to serve and wait for them to get ready. When you've lost the point and give the bird over, get ready to receive. Serve when they're ready. That's about as fast as you can get, cause you can't really yell at somebody to hurry up can you.