Looking to try competitive badminton play

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by jmsx521, Aug 22, 2008.

1. jmsx521

jmsx521 New Member

Hello, I am new here, and am quite familiar with tennis: I've been playing for the last 15 years. Some weeks I spend probably around 50 hr. in devotion to watching pro tennis, playing or reading on forums.

I have a shoulder injury and a lower-back injury that don't allow me to try competitive tennis at my full potential (plus other issues preventing me to try out futures tournaments). So, sparked by the Olympics (thanks to the good coverage of nbcolympics) I am interested to see if I can find competitive-level badminton to have less pounding on my body.

I am short, fit and aggressive in tennis... and I'd be looking to transfer that to badminton as well. I played little bit of badminton as a child, and now 20 years later I'll try to pick it up again.

First I would need advices on pro gear. I was already researching online but would need some more advices... perhaps I'll be looking for a head-heavy (plus extra heavy frame for more control and balance). So, I'll be posting questions in the racket section. By the way, is lead-tape allowed on the frame? Second, I need to find out where in Central Florida I can practice. And third I want to find out if geese are not harmed or killed in the process of extracting the feathers. If YES, then that means I'll be looking to play with plastic instead.

-james

#1 jmsx521, Aug 22, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  2. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    Welcome to the forum

3. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

hello.welcome to the forum:)

4. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

jmsx521,

Sounds like you are a serious competitor. :) That will serve you well as you adjust to badminton. I think a tennis player can make the switch. There will be things that come easy for you and things that may be a bit frustrating at first. In any switch of sports, the power game probably translates faster than the finesse game. That is certainly true of my tennis -cum-badminton friends.

The racquets that the experienced BC'ers are suggesting in your racket reccomendation thread are high quality--don't think that they are trying to fob off 'non-pro' stuff.
    And the racquets that badminton players consider heavy or unweildy will be no problem for your big arms. I haven't seen all the racquets out there, but my guess is that you would be very comfortable with the AT500 or Cab21 that Silentheart suggests. (The quip he makes about the Cab30MS is not a slight on you, it's a joke on himself who apparently likes that racquet a lot)

There is a huge grips section, which I'm sure you've found. Your sweaty palms can find relief there.:)

Anyhow, welcome to the Badminton World. Remember that the sport is known for it's competitiveness and speed, but also for good sportsmanship and comradery. Have fun!

5. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Geese are slaughtered for their meat and other by products.

6. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Since you are from the tennis camp, all the 2U racquets shouldn't be a problem for you:

Yonex
    CAB 20 2U G3/4/5
    CAB 21 2U G3/4/5
    CAB 30 2U G3/4/5
    AT-700 3U G3/4/5
    AT-900 P 3U G3/4/5

RSL
    Ask Dink for
    X2 Gold 2U G4/5

APAC
    Ask Dink for

7. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Welcome Abroad the badminton train :). Please find a good coach to work on your footwork and strokes first before going ballistic with the goose bird.

8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Welcome..

..to BCBF, jmsx521 (James)!:)..Welcome back to badminton & looks like we have another badminton re-convert thanks to the Olympics coverage! Anyway, i'm sure you've gotten your feet wet with the other BCers in the equips. section. In the meantime, enjoy your time on BC!;):cool: