How to swing fast and how to do it right

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Gold-, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Gold-

Gold- Regular Member

-
    how to swing fast and how to do it in a correct way

2. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
  3. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

The best way is to get a coach to check your swinging technique.

Otherwise..
    Pronate your arm as fast as you can, and you'd be automatically flicking your wrist as well. If you want to risk injuring your arm to correct your technique, try stringing your racquet at a tension about 3lbs tighter than your usual tension. All the vibration will travel through your arm and make your arm and shoulder sore. You'd then, automatically try to stop the pain from emerging, so you will swing faster ( only possible with the correct technique ). I corrected my technique the risky way, but one trick I used was that I switched racquets from high-tension to low-tension from time to time, in order not to hurt my arm.

I've just jumped from 26lbs ( auspic a66, a very repulsive, lively string )to 28lbs ( nbg95, very numb ). I could feel all the vibration going up my arm, it started getting sore after every shot i made. By the end of the session, I didn't have that pain anymore. I must have started swinging even faster than before then.

Correcting your technique my way is very risky and you can end up injuring yourself if you're not cautious. Just get a coach to correct your technique.

#3 jhirata, Aug 23, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  4. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    I don't quite understand. If you raise your tension and your arm starts hurting, why would you swing even faster? And how does swinging fast help produce a correct technique? How does swinging faster when you have poor technique help your technique?

5. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

The other way around.
    Your body would adapt to the higher tension by correcting the technique and also it would make you swing faster. Swinging fast doesnt correct the technique, but the corrected technique ( without pain ) would produce the fast swing.

This is from my personal experience from jumping from 18lbs->22lbs, then ~19lbs->24lbs, and then 26lbs -> 28lbs. On all these occasions, I experienced some pain in my arm, but the pain went away after I got used to the tension. How did I get used to it ? My technique must have been corrected. I did not experience any pains after jumping from 24lbs to 26lbs however, because the prototype-strings (auspic a66) had a very 'soft', but 'responsive' feeling.