Badminton vs Squash vs Tennis

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by RevoWithin, Aug 23, 2008.

1. RevoWithin

RevoWithin Regular Member

pharmacy undergraduate
    comment.

i prefer badminton because it requires more skills compare to other two sports.

what u all think ?

2. Im Dehydrated

Im Dehydrated Regular Member

Student
    They're all pretty fun racket sports. But I like badminton the best because its the only one where i get to smack the ball/shuttle at the ground with as much strength and steepness as possible:D

3. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

I play badminton because it's a fun, challenging sport to play. I also love smacking things as hard as I can.
    I play squash from time to time, just for the fun of it.
    I play table tennis, because it requires so much more carefulness and precision compared to the others.
    I don't play tennis however, because I don't want to screw up my badminton techniques.

Which one do I think is the best ? None, I don't think that one is better than another. I do play badminton the most however, because I'm addicted.. hehe.

4. CHOcobo

CHOcobo Regular Member

pay off school
    from what i remember from my high school squash experience, it was annoying trying to not run into the other player. lol.

with squash out of the way, tennis on the other hand requires a lot of practice. i play it regularly now a days with friends because it's hard to find a badminton court. it is damn hard to be consistant. lol. you need to control your power and you need to be more eye/hand coordinated than badminton since you need to swing diagonally to produce top spin. combining the max top spin and power together feels imposstible to obstain, especially with consistancy.

as for badminton it is very easy to get a good rally hit going on compare to tennis, but i do like it more than tennis. it gets me more work out and makes my legs stronger. but i bet you anything if ever i get good with tennis, that will be a better work out. you need to move your body just like badminton except with longer sprinting so it will build up my endurance and requires more power.

tennis is harder through yourself and badminton is harder through your opponents.

they're both awesome sports to play and i love both, and i gotta play both. haha

im very very addicted to both sports. im a noob and trying to improve in ping pong though.

5. Midget_Boy

Midget_Boy Regular Member

Student
    I play badminton during the winter or when it's cold.

I play tennis during the summer or when it's nice out.

Love both, but suck at both. I suck more at tennis though, my serve percentage is only 20%, so my partner/opponent always gets mad that I spend more time serving than rallying and he always wins by doing nothing.

Badminton is easier/faster to learn IMO and also easier/faster to get set-up and play. It's also more precision-oriented with short bursts of power.

IMO, tennis is a lot harder to learn from scratch, but just as rewarding when you get the gist of it. It requires more control and endurance; I can't survive a rally any more than 5 hits if my opponent likes to play long/short and cross-court. What can I say? I'm one of the worst counter-punchers you'd ever see. I also hit the ball out of bounds very frequently, >.>

I agree 100% with CHOcobo on tennis being harder on yourself and badminton on your opponents.

I can't decide is funner/batter to me,:p

Table tennis is also fun when I'm at home. Probably won't ever play as fast and fierce as the pros though. I always do good in my sets and have big advantages over my opponents until my final 1-3 points. That's when I keep losing, I'm cursed.

#5 Midget_Boy, Aug 23, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  6. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Aerobic demand: Squash > Badminton > Tennis
    Anaerobic demand: Badminton > Squash > Tennis
    Teqniique/finesse: Badminton > Squash > Tennis
    Exsposive speed: Badminton > Squash > Tennis
    Upperbody strength: Tennis > Squash > Badminton
    Lower body strength: Badminton > Squash > Tennis
    Agility: Badminton > Squash > Tennis

(the above are estimates for high-level competetive play, for beginners and casual play demands may be highly different!!)

/Twobeer

7. YinLoung

YinLoung Regular Member

Badminton does NOT require more skills compared to Tennis or Squash. They play differently and requires different skills.

8. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
    i agree, every sport requires different skills and techniques. neither is harder then the other to master technique, i play all three and i am serious in all three, so i know that when i step onto the squash/badminton/tennis court, i know what i have to do and never think about the other sport in terms of difficulty or skills, and neither require more physical conditioning then the other.

9. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Skills is a bad choice of words imop.

I would reffer to the aspect of technical difficulties and diverseness, not "skills" in general.

Every sport of course requires skill.. But there IS a difference of how big part the technical aspect is compared to the OTHER aspects of the game..

It really how many different motoric skill-sets that has to be trained..

For example I think you could agree that a game like table tennis is more technically difficult than for example sprinting 100m.

But that said you can of course spend as much time fine-tuning the skill-set and technique to run a perfect 100m sprint, so in that sense it would be a meaingless comparison..

My assemesnt is based on talking to numeros world-class competetors in Racketlon (Pingis, Tennis, Squash and Badminton combined).. All I have spoken with agree that pingis and badminton are far more difficult to train technique wise than squash, tennis, as there are so fine-tuned "feel" shots and in badminton, different grips and types of shot to master.. (and numeroes feints etc)

But of course if you feel different, you are free to your own opinion :-D

/Twobeer

#9 twobeer, Aug 24, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  10. 12amgary

12amgary New Member

Self Employed
    Having played Racketlon since January, I have to say that they are all very different & yet also all very complimentary, once you get into regularly playing all four. After initial stumbling blocks in the two sports I played more, table tennis & tennis, I am now into a nice rhythm in each & finding that there are a lot of benefits from the cross-over. I am now trying to build up my two weaker sports, badminton & squash, but already find that my tennis game produces some great shots in my squash game, e.g. drop shots & overheads, although I have to watch my swing!

There is no absolute answer to the posed question, but if you want to enjoy your game more, in any sport, I would urge you to try racketlon. The latest UK event had 250 entries & there are monthly events, so check out the websites or google 'racketlon'....I did & now I am addicted!

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i have thot about these similar performance demand comparison before too. In it, i also include table tennis (TT). I like to add to your list

Aerobic demand: Squash > Badminton > Tennis>TT
    Anaerobic demand: Badminton > Squash > Tennis>TT
    Technique/finesse: Badminton > TT > Squash > Tennis
    Explosive speed: Badminton > TT > Squash > Tennis (i put TT behind badminton because in TT, explosivness involves only a short distance or a short movement)
    Upperbody strength: Tennis > Squash > Badminton>TT
    Lower body strength: Tennis > Badminton > Squash > TT (i re-ranked based on court size which is reasonable)
    Agility: TT > Badminton > Squash > Tennis

#11 cooler, Sep 4, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  12. cooler

cooler Regular Member

if we use the above parameters to define 'degree of difficulty' of racket sports, and assign integer values between 1 to 4 for each of them (1 being least difficult, 4 is most), we have the score as following:

difficulty scores:

badminton 23

squash 18

tennis 15

table tennis 14

#12 cooler, Sep 4, 2008
  13. bad_fanatic

bad_fanatic Regular Member

Day dream about being a Pro Badminton Player
    I like badminton more then the other sports just because it's more entertaining.

The best part is, you can put two/four player at any level on the court and they can get a rally going. When you're intermediate/advance level, you can control your shots so that it gives the beginner a chance to rally.

Try putting an intermediate/advance tennis player with a beginner together and they'll be shagging balls or one of them will be hitting home runs all day. I know because I'm one of them. hahhaha

14. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

I would think lower body strength is badminton because of things like consecutive jump smashes and I read somewhere distance actually traveled puts badminton over tennis.

15. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Yeah? Did you factor into the distance and time those lazy @$$ tennis player walk to get to their towel between points and taking break?:D

16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

ya, my quick comparison is just an broad approximation, some refinement would be better but the result order shouldn't change much

on ur point, i still disagree. Your exmaple is valid but it has been accounted under explosiveness catergory. On a total lower body strength, i still say tennis players, they are heavier so they need more leg muscle to move around. If u compare on leg press power basis, i say on average, tennis pro will leg press more weight than a badminton pro.

#16 cooler, Sep 4, 2008
  17. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I used to play tennis and table tennis in my younger days. In tennis I used to play almost every day for 5 to 6 hours in a stretch and never felt tired out except for some leg cramps from the long hours on the court. Table tennis was more demanding in terms of skill and the state of mind but it was never exhausting. I then switched to badminton, helped along by my close friends who were champions (one Australian Open champion, another AE doubles champion, plus a school champion) and found the game, especially singles, to be more exhausting than tennis or table tennis. I had a friend who collapsed later at home after a game of badminton many years ago and then died. I had on several times in the past when I was much younger on the verge of collapse playing singles. I have since stayed away from singles. I have not played squash but I presume it would be quite tiring because of the long rallies and the up and down movement as well as the bending of the body. Squash to me is quite restrictive in free movement because both players, opponents, play on the same side of the court. It is so restrictive that there is not enough room for doubles in squash.

18. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

Badminton vs Tennis

Wow Taneepak, I also heard stories of people drop dead from heart problems during an intense game of badminton.

I think in badminton, players don't give up so easily....we try to catch every single shots....even diving to the floor. I've seen people collided their shoulders to the metal post desparately trying to catch a drop shot.

Tennis normally you have time to react to the shots unless the opponent hits a smash/net volley...or serving an ace. Pros of tennis, if you can hit hard with forehand and serve well, you can basically control the game.

But I find tennis more tiring if played in the afternoon under the tropical sun.
    Cons of tennis is hard to get a rally going, a big hassle to keep track of points due to 2 services allowed...then we have duece...advantage etc...need to shout to communicate to opponent across the court as well.
    Also without a refree or camera....it's hard to see if the ball hits the line or out.

#18 Badmintan, Sep 5, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  19. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    hmmm but that's only for recreational level of play...;)Even then, i seldom see people shouting the score across...I think it's because you're more used to badminton. I think it's harder in badminton to determine whether a shot was in/out...:p

Anyway with regards to lower body strength i'd see it in a different way...
    A badminton player has more leg muscles with respect to his own weight, as compared to a tennis player...
    Also, i think tennis players tend to have more muscle mass, while badminton players get more 'explosive muscles' or whatever u call it...

For myself, i do play a little of TT, tennis and squash, but definitely can't be compared to badminton:D

Squash: i won't really go into it, because i don't want to get the habit of relentlessly whacking my badminton racket against the floor!! I enjoy the feeling of swinging with full power and blasting the ball onto the glass door though...

Tennis: my technique sucks so much---the ball either goes into the net, or over the fence (and i'll be made to go pick it back). But guess what...i actually serve better than some weaker tennis players!

TT: i always enjoyed table tennis since i was in pr school...but without training it's near impossible to sustain a rally with a trained player:(

20. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    During the late 1980s or early 1990s I saw a singles match between Eddy Kurniawan of Indonesia and Yang Yang of China in Hong Kong that went to the rubber. In between the 2nd and 3rd game Eddy Kurniawan was so sick and exhausted he vomitted on the court. He however did beat Yang Yang eventually. If top players like Eddy could be taken to extreme levels that would be fatal for lesser players, it just shows that badminton singles can be dangerous for players who are not quite fit, or even if they fit, if they have a never-say-die attitude. A safer player than Eddy Kurniawan would probably have given up the match to Yang Yang instead of risking his life.