Why Do We Apologize In Badminton?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by coryprice, Aug 26, 2008.

1. coryprice

coryprice Regular Member

Home Depot
    Just thinking about it because of watching many sports in the recent Olympics, but does anyone know where or why we started apologizing for our good luck in a game? Like if we hit a net on a shot or whatever, we apologize to the opponents.

I guess a few thoughts come to my mind right off the bat: first, we don't apologize for a net shot that hits the net and goes over, but how about on a drop that hits the net and drops over? That's just a pure good shot too, isn't it? But I think many people would apologize for that, or maybe not...

But mostly when we try to lift and smash or drive, if it clips the net on the way, we often apologize for our good fortune. I don't think I can recall seeing that in tennis. I know you never see it in hockey if it's off the post, or in soccer or water polo, or field hockey or lacrosse or any other sport with a net.

I just think we shouldn't be apologizing in one sense, because if we could all make that our shot, then we'd be phenomenal.

I don't know, I guess I wanted to get some other people's thoughts on it...

Cheers,
    Cory

2. ycmvictor

ycmvictor Regular Member

As a Gentle playing in sport.... i think that we shall do ...
    because... we don't mean to do that ... !!!

3. Phouma

Phouma Regular Member

Student
    I believe we apologize cause we didn't deserve that point :p

4. lwiew

lwiew Regular Member

Student
    I think maybe its because the perception is that badminton is a game that requires skill and not luck.

When I play, I'd want to win my point because I was better than my opponent and because I outplayed him/her, not because I was luckier and all my shots hit the net and then tumbled over.

Sure, I'll take that point, because that's the rules, but I'll apologise because my winning of that point really had nothing to do with my skill nor my opponent's skill. It was simply luck (unless of course I did a truly awesome hairpin net shot, but that would be different).

So when you win a point off the net or something like that, firstly, you didn't win that point because of anything you did. Secondly, usually its pretty difficult (impossible) to return a shot that hits the net and tumbles straight down, when the other person expects and you hit, a drive or smash or something, so their losing that point has nothing to do with their skill.

I hope this doesn't suggest that other sports are about luck and not skill. I think the difference is that in soccer when you hit the goal, that's like part of the game, because the posts are so big and you can legitimately aim for the posts and try score that way.

In badminton however, it really is luck, because there's the chance that the shuttle will fall back onto your side too. Think of a coin falling on its side when you flip it - the chance of that occurring is negligible and has nothing to do with you. Similarly in badminton, the chance of the shuttle hitting then net and then falling over to their side or coming to your side is very low (you don't often do it) and its not something you control.

5. lwiew

lwiew Regular Member

Student
    Lol, I am so verbose... :(

6. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
    As a good gesture and sportsmanship, we should.

Afterall, it is not our intention to hit or clip the net with the shuttlecock, hence we are lucky that it tips over the other side of the court rather than on our side. Also by clipping against the net, it changes the flight of the shuttle and deny the oppoonent a fair chance to return the shot.

This happen often in Table Tennis when the ball clip over the net or skit along the edge of the table. The player who won that point always signal a gesture indicating apologies.

7. Fan888

Fan888 Regular Member

Badminton players are nice people :)

8. Tsumaranai

Tsumaranai Regular Member

Student
    It's known as the gentlemen's sport, so.., why not? You apologize when you hit someone with the shuttle, no? So, really, it can be seen as a technical blow to them, as you receive a point, not necessarily because of skill. But of course, it's all be summed up nicely, if but in excess, above.

#8 Tsumaranai, Aug 26, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  9. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    if I hit the net and it goes over and it's an immediate point, I appologize cuz it wasnt' a called for shot!

I also appologize if I smash people with the bird, that's just out of courtesy! Badminton is the only sport where you're more likely to beat up your partner than the opponents!

10. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Our group is pretty sick in this regard. There is a group member whom everyone else wants to hit with the bird. Everytime "we" pound the dude, "we" yell "yeahhh" Of course, it's all for fun :D.

11. Loafers

Loafers Regular Member

Loafer
    Your right coryprice, I think people needlessly apologize.

If their so apologetic why not give back the point I say :)?

#11 Loafers, Aug 27, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  12. rwg05

rwg05 Regular Member

I think we're sort of apologising for the bad luck that we gave our opponent by playing that particular shot.

13. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    If one hit the tape often enough and it went over, then it's an intended shot that is a skill requiring lots of practice. One shouldn't apologise for a good shot that defeats the opponent. However shuttles don't always go over the other side so it's a lucky shot when it happens once in awhile and denies your opponent fair chance of return, you should apologise then. Apologising for a lucky shot is good sportsmanship and shouldn't be discouraged.

14. winstonchan

winstonchan Regular Member

CBO (Chief Babysitting Officer)
    in sports, every point should be earned by skills, not luck. but of course in reality, you cannot avoid the element of luck in critical moment.

in soccer, the ball could just bounce off the post or your opponents head, then the World Cup gone! and i think the scorer celebrates with his teammates more than apologizing to the opponent's goalkeeper.

in badminton, we apologize...

if you lose a point because of a lucky net shot in favor of your opponent, you would feel better if they apologize.. i guess

this has become more of a gesture than real meaning, but a sincere apology demonstrates true sportmanship, courtesy, and most importantly, RESPECT..

we should learn to respect our opponents.

15. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    you apologise because you've been the victim of your opponents luck once, you know how much it infuriates you to see him win the point by luck. I apologise because I know how annoying it is to lose to flukes.

16. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Well, it's not really an apology -- or at least, it's a very weak one. I mean, it's not as though I'm actually sorry about it. :p

When you get a lucky net cord, the "apology" serves as a courteous recognition of your luck. When you hit someone with a smash, the "apology" serves to say, "I meant no harm to you".

As much as anything else, it's a polite ritual -- just like shaking hands after a match, or allowing your opponent to test a new racket. What's wrong with that?

17. totorosan

totorosan Regular Member

In tennis if you clip the net, you also apologize for the shot...

It's more of a gentlemanly lah, more than anything else. Frankly, i think most ppl will be happy to get that 'free' point~

18. Stein_r

Stein_r Regular Member

employee
    The "..Apologize In Badminton" makes Badminton differ from soccer. :)

19. 16FeathRPassioN

16FeathRPassioN Regular Member

Student
    we apologize in badminton just like the Pool/snooker player does when they POT the unintentionally played ball,
    Its a gesture to show how civilized you are.

20. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

i heard it more than once from an english commentator (gillian clark) when she was in china and trained with the chinese team. they spent hours and hours to perfect the net cord shots. hard to believe but i have no reason to doubt her either. so, it's not just simply luck.