User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How many shuttles do you use per week? Aprox., how many does your club use per week?

I am curious about how many shuttles are used by you and also by your clubs per week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i use around 5 a day, we usually share so it will go for 4-8 games depending on how good or how strong the players strike the shuttle.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The worst shuttle-killers are beginners and players of any level who half-volley the shuttle after they pick it up from the floor. Half-volleying of the shuttle is by far the worse case. You should not hesitate to tell the offender off immediately.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default too too many birdies

I usually use 1-3 tubes per week.
    My club? OMG, they killed too many birdies.
    we burned too much money...what should we do?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak View Post
    The worst shuttle-killers are beginners and players of any level who half-volley the shuttle after they pick it up from the floor. Half-volleying of the shuttle is by far the worse case. You should not hesitate to tell the offender off immediately.
    What do you man by half-volleying of the shuttle?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by totorosan View Post
    What do you man by half-volleying of the shuttle?
    Sometimes a player will hit the shuttle immediately after it has hit the floor. This will mean the shuttle feathers will be impacted by the racquet as there is no time for the shuttle to recover in time for the cork to be hit instead of the feathers. This is half volleying. Also a shuttle gets damaged when it is returned to the opponent for service when the player returning the shuttle hits the whole shuttle on the feathers without throwing it up in the air, thereby hitting the feathers instead of the cork.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So in short, Half-Volleying of the shuttle means that you hit the feathers instead of the cork, and a crunchy-like sound is produced...?Am I right?

Well, my club(not actually a club,just some friends and myself who are just something more than beginners) uses a tube(12) shuttles every week. We play 2 days a week, 2-hour sessions(sometimes more, if there's no one waiting) and there are about 8-10 of us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think my club uses 6-7 tubes of AS30/40 a session.
    4 courts, 3 hours each.
    so around 6 shuttles per hour per court.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When a shuttle is in play almost every hit or shot is on the cork or base, especially power shots, so there is minimal wear on the feathers. But once the shuttle hits the floor, it has to be picked up by a player and then hit back to another player on the opposite court. Just watch carefully how and where the shuttle is struck and you will find one common source of premature shuttle wear. Also half volleying off the court is equally bad. Both instances of shuttle abuse stem from not allowing the shuttle enough time to tumble or recover fast enough for the cork/base to right itself before hitting. When not playing always throw the shuttle in the air before striking it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually ah... when a person does a high lob and u smash it, there is great impact on the feathers oso... cause the bird is dropping vertically. There is no way u can smash without hitting the feathers. My observation is that one smash only the feathers will be damaged liao~ haha

Want to conserve shuttle? play drop only.. haha

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by totorosan View Post
    Actually ah... when a person does a high lob and u smash it, there is great impact on the feathers oso... cause the bird is dropping vertically. There is no way u can smash without hitting the feathers. My observation is that one smash only the feathers will be damaged liao~ haha

Want to conserve shuttle? play drop only.. haha
    Actually the sliced drops and the sliced cut smash or chops do contact the feathers as well as the cork/base. The very high clears (some called them high lobs), unless they go up to over 30 feet high, do not actually drop vertically although they do drop more towards the vertical than other shots. The highest shot one can hit to the highest height is the very high singles serve.
    When in play, power shots are almost all hit at the cork/base as hitting the feathers, even partially, will slow down the shuttle. Sliced drops and cut smashes/chops are the only shots that come into contact with the feathers more tan other shots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My club uses a lot , I'm not sure how much , but approximately £8000 GBP every year!!!

Thats a lot of shuttles

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamzz View Post
    i think my club uses 6-7 tubes of AS30/40 a session.
    4 courts, 3 hours each.
    so around 6 shuttles per hour per court.
    This almost ties in with our usage.

Here's what should happen:
    30 players on 4 courts for 3 hours = 6 tubes of PT-10 = 72 shuttles
    That works out to 6 shuttles per hour per court.

Here's what actually happens:
    30 players on 4 courts for 3 hours = 7 tubes of PT-10 = 84 shuttles
    That works out to 7 shuttles per hour per court.

Since these are (comparatively) good shuttles, the usage should be one shuttle per game. With a typical game averaging 10 to 15 minutes, we manage 4 to 6 games per hour per court. Based on that, the consumption should range from 4 to 6 tubes.

However, two shuttles per game are required when the harder-whackers take the floor. It's the same or worse when the consistent mishitters have their go. It also doesn't help that very very few players are happy to begin a new game with a used shuttle (even if it has been played only for a few points and easily passes muster on inspection)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my tiny little town club, uses about 10-12 shuttles a club night on two courts for 2 and a half hours, but i use knock ups to warm up so its literally only new shuttles when playing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by krisss View Post
    My club uses a lot , I'm not sure how much , but approximately £8000 GBP every year!!!

Thats a lot of shuttles
    Yeah, we use loads too. My club has an agreement with Inflight to supply clothing and shuttles at a reduced price. They offer rackets to some better players who want them at reduced prices too. We use a mixture of Inflight premier plus and Yonex AS-50s and vast amounts of them lol.

I must use about 12-15 a week when practising outside of the club. I use slightly lower quality shuttles though. AS-50s are very expensive.
    Last edited by Danstevens; 03-13-2009 at 03:31 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow I'm surprised - I thought that my club got through a fair few shuttles but not compared to £8000 worth. Also surprised that using such a high quality shuttle as the AS- 50 requires such regular replacing - no wonder it is so expensive (wonder what the membership fees are!!).

We are a smaller club (most are in Cornwall). We have around 20 players on 4 courts for 2.5 hrs. Try to keep it down to 2 - 2.5 tubes a night (more if a match is being played.

I reduced the clubs shuttle consumption by sorting the older shuttles that can be used for warming up etc. These are the only shuttles that I put out initially. I reckon that it saves at least half a tube per session.

Money is always tight for most clubs!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, someone else from Cornwall

We've just started a new club in Helston, playing 3.5hrs per week (most people go home after 3hrs though). We've been getting about 25 players so far, including a range of levels from total beginner to strong-intermediate.

Anyways, we're using Yehlex Tournament feathers (£9.70 a dozen) - mostly because we feel we owe them a bit, after we raised a large portion of our startup funds from one of their "Badminton Bonanzas" (and it keeps BE happy).

It's early days still, but so far, no complaints - we're getting through well under 2 tubes per night, and maybe 4-5 of those shuttles are "lost" rather than broken (stupid low ceilings).

I've also got hold of tubes from 5-6 other brands, so we'll do a proper comparison sometime, but I'm already pretty impressed with Yehlex.
    Inflight are very good, and used to be really cheap, but now they've just put their prices up by quite a lot.

I think it really just depends how anal you are - a lot of players will get a new shuttle every time they see a feather is slightly damaged, even if it has no effect on the shuttle's flight.
    Last edited by Sketchy; 03-13-2009 at 04:43 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast