Stealing shuttles...LOL

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by bananakid, Aug 27, 2008.

1. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    It happened(not 100% confirmed) in one of the recreational clubs I play at.

The shuttles were provided by the club every session, and this one guy would bring his own tube of shuttles and placed it by the court pole. Then he would take out a broken shuttle from his tube, and exchanged it with the perfectly new shuttle(provided by the club) during warm-up when nobody was watching him. :eek:

I don't know about anyone of you, but this is simply amazing and out of this world in my book.:eek:

#1 bananakid, Aug 27, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    why the switch-a-roo routine? i know a guy just take a few new ones from the organizer bag outright:p

3. Jasonvan

Jasonvan Regular Member

That is pretty low, shuttles aren't that expensive... Around $11 for a tube of mavis300 I think... Somebody should report him as that's very low of him, taking a new shuttle and replacing it with an old broken one for ppl to play with, how old is that guy anyways?

4. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

At one of the clubs I used to play at, they charged 3NZD for every shuttle which were stolen ( if caught ) or lost ( ie: stuck on the ceiling. )

Most clubs do not supply top-grade shuttles like the AS50 anyway, so I don't think it's much of a use to steal low/mid-grade shuttles from clubs.

5. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Theft of badminton shuttles, whether new or used, increases with the size of the club and members and also if there are many coaches who play as members. But more important is the management of the club.

6. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    LOL... that's just sick, man. How could anyone possibly do such a thing? PM me, the name of the guy, so I will be careful with my badminton bag when he is around.:cool:

You should have seen the facial expression of the guy who caught him(let's call him "theft") in the act... basically before the switch, the guy was holding a perfectly new shuttle(no other shuttle around except for theft's tube), then after like 3 or so rallies(clears and drops), the guy was holding onto a completely broken shuttle, and the new one was no where to be found.:eek:

Theft is about in his early 40's...

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    outside of that, he is pretty ok guy. I think he doesn't do that anymore because he got a steady job now. You think that is low? How about a club i use to go where the 2 organizers keep new mavis in their bag. When they were waiting for the court, and some guys playing ask for new shuttle, they would give the ones they are holding, and when these 2 get onto the court, they get to use new shuttle they got from the bag. Only when they are playing and people screaming for new shuttles, then they let us go retrieve a new shuttle from their bag. Often, we don't find any tube of shuttle in their bag because they 'forgot' to bring them. Yup, the court fee included mavis shuttles. LOL. This is still peanuts, u don't want to know how they manage the 'drop in' monies;):eek: You know me, i like to observe:D

#7 cooler, Aug 27, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  8. Shiryu

Shiryu Regular Member

Nerd
    Maybe mark the birds with the club name with a marker, so that they are easier to identify. :mad:

9. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

What do you guys view of players who take shuttles left behind by other players (meaning they are done playing and obviously dont care for that particular birdie anymore) and are on their way to being tossed into the trash by the cleaners. Cause I do that occasionally

10. bad_fanatic

bad_fanatic Regular Member

Day dream about being a Pro Badminton Player
    I really don't see anything wrong with this. Some people are not as affluent in life as other so I think it's ok.

Beside, I think the guys who use the shuttle that were left behind are doing more good then bad. 1 they're using the shuttle life to it max. 2 by using the left over shuttle they're not contributing to the land fills.

11. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

i reckon if you want to take a shuttle that has already been used, perhaps to use next time for knock ups or to take home for kids to play with or something, that's fine, as long as it is at the end of the club session and you've asked/informed the club captain/organiser. taking a brand new shuttle is just theft in my book and whoever is caught doing it the first time ought to be cautioned, and banned from the club is caught again.

12. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

If 1 or 2 fairly decent but clearly used shuttles, I think it's ok. However, if brand new, and with a large number (entire tube, just opened), I think you should at least ask the owner if it is ok. It's very possible the person forgot to take it after a long game. :rolleyes:

13. ph_leung

ph_leung Regular Member

I fix things
    Not quite stealing shuttles but how about modded shuttles :)

There's a guy who plays weekly at our drop-in but can't clear end-to-end and especially can't do much non-suicidal with his backhand. He keeps bringing in birds that look like the right speed but fly fast. So fast, it's easy for almost anyone to do a backhand end-to-end clear. When he slips his bird into the games, he can almost hold on. When we insist on using others he loses all the shots sent to the back.

Sneaky bugger.

14. hiroisuke

hiroisuke Regular Member

Student

That's just hilarious. XD

15. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

hahaha, that wouldn't work in my club.
    once the shuttle starts flying too fast, we just tip em before the next rally.
    case closed!

16. Ruffle

Ruffle Regular Member

Badminton, ie. retired. I think I once had somethi
    On the other hand, my experience with EVERY club I have ever played in is that the shuttle used is way too slow. The rules are :

3.1 To test a shuttle, a player shall use a full underhand stroke which makes contact with the shuttle over the back boundary line. The shuttle shall be hit at an upward angle and in a direction parallel to the side lines.

3.2 A shuttle of correct speed will land not less than 530 mm and not more than 990 mm short of the other back boundary line

Now, these distances straddle the back doubles service line, and are actually placed so that the back service line is closer than the midpoint of where a correctly-paced shuttle should land.

I have NEVER been able to hit a club shuttle from a point above the back boundary line to beyond the back doubles service line in the opposite court with the supplied club shuttles. And I have tried, believe me, many, many times. Also, I'm a coach, and I have trained coaches, so I'm not a total beginner! :)

I have got fairly close to the back service line sometimes, but according to the rules I should pass that line with more than half of the shuttles I test. It never happens.

SO, club shuttles are far too slow. Maybe you should test the shuttles you provide, and then test the ones he provides?

By the way, the original wording of the rules said "a player of average strength" but now it just says "a player" - which means ANY player. So test the shuttles using several members, not just your strongest!

17. ph_leung

ph_leung Regular Member

I fix things
    These are non-tournament games at a drop-in. I've only seen a few people test the shuttles. It's so obvious without testing his shuttles that we tell him we're using ours. He gets it now :) He puts his aside as soon as he sees that he is playing with or against one of the people in our group that know about his switcheroo.

18. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Testing shuttles is quite accurate provided you have the right hitting technique. If not, players will find it almost impossible to even get near the back doubles service line. Perhaps this is one good and really very simple test of your gripping and hitting technique. For worshippers of arm pronation this test is as good as any.