During Ramadhan, how to compensate for lack of badminton?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by giant_q_tip, Aug 27, 2008.

1. giant_q_tip

giant_q_tip Regular Member

besides working out

how can i still compenstae for lack of badminton at home

practice footwork? maybe hang a shuttle and hit it as many times using different techniques?

so basically ill be fasting from 5 in the morning untli 7 pm, which is roughly 14 hours

usually i can always implement my normal workout routines and morning jogs everyday in addition to college and work

but ramadhan ill have to limit those exercises (workouts) including badminton, but ofcourse something is better than none so any suggestions on how i can prevent myself from losing too much of my consistency with badminton?

well ok im not consistent ;) but like i dont want to lose too much of my comfort or feel awkward when playing again august 1st :)

#1 giant_q_tip, Aug 27, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Probably the best thing you can do is to do nothing physical.

If you're fasting, you really should not be doing any serious exercise. Exercise with a lack of food (especially protein) is harmful.

For example: strength training works by damaging your muscles (micro-tears). Then the body repairs them, in better shape than before. I know it sounds odd, but it's true.

But if you are very low on protein, your body will not be able to repair the tissue damage in your muscles. Exercise too much without sufficient food, and your muscles start to break down.

Your body may also begin to consume muscle tissue if it is very low on energy and "thinks" it is starving.

How about practising your low serve?

3. giant_q_tip

giant_q_tip Regular Member

i was thinking maybe a few hours 1-2 before i break my fast ill workout

4. green.blood

green.blood Regular Member

Feather basher
    If you wish to train as usual i suggest you do it at night after breaking your fast. As we can't sip water during the day it's not a good idea to exercise. Light training may be possible.

I'm taking the chance in Ramadhan to rest my body (now having slight injuries to the shoulder, elbow and left knee). It's not a problem, you'll get better after a month of fasting even without intense training.

5. saifii

saifii Regular Member

ill be using weekend nights only and that too for an hour of play.
    all i need to know is that i dont get totally rusty after Eid.
    i wanted to avoid playing at all but the addiction will force me. there is also the problem that in ramadhan, my fellow might not play so i might actually have a month of rest to recover on sore knees and shoulders

6. Smash _Drop

Smash _Drop Regular Member

promotor
    Club nights (social play) for me start at 7.40 and my fast will initially end at 8.00 here in the Uk, so i will open my fast and then go down for a few light games 1 or 2 times a week...I think its best not to try anything too intensive during the day and if you feel the need to workout or pick up a racket then i suggest you do it closer to the end of the fast or after opening it so that you can give your body any nurishing that it might need

7. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Its a good chance to reduce more weights for sure. Business will be affected for those baddies in Muslim based countries.;) My friend looses about 60% from muslim customers in Malaysia. wow... bad month for them.;)

8. zeddie

zeddie Regular Member

IT Manager
    Im in the same situation. And here in the UK breaking of fast is at 8pm and my club nights start at 7! till 10pm! Im thinking of trying to play while fasting, take a break at 8 to break my fast and pray.. then carry on after that till 10 lol..

ill try it once see how it goes :s

9. Prane

Prane New Member

my friend who does weights woke up at 3am done his weights for hour or so then went back to sleep after eatin n stuff. other you'll burn out if you dont eat within 2-3 hours of exercise ( better if within 30 mins ). but you gotta be really careful if you not eating all day then exercising

10. saifii

saifii Regular Member

its going to be my harshest ramadhan this year as im 16 and my fast was when ramadhan came in december. september is pretty hot here (high 20s C and low 30 degrees). gonna be tough with school and all other stuff. but ill take it.

11. N4ruto

N4ruto Regular Member

Engineer
    My friends just confine themselves to polishing up their skills without any competitive games. They play for 1-2 hours by playing 1/2 court against each other. :)

12. green.blood

Feather basher
    IMHO better play after breaking the fast and prayers. The prayers period is enough to digest all you have eaten when breaking fast. But since your club nights starts at 7 then you have no choice...

13. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

thanks for the info .......

I have experience before during fasting 2006 ..... really hurt when got injured
    Better do 3 or 4 hours after breaking-fast .......

and yes, practising the low-serve is also a good idea ........
    or become umpire for the games.

#13 maa2003, Aug 29, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  14. samser

samser New Member

Informatician
    Ramadaan

Its better not to play during Ramadaan. 30 days of not playing will not affect your performance or skills after this. After only 3 sesssions ( after Ramadaan) you will gain your techinal skills again. But may be it will take a little more time to reach your top physical level. So no worry if you don't play during ramadaan.

15. mmnoor

mmnoor Regular Member

Make that 37 days as the first week of Syawal, not many will be getting back to the courts yet.

What I did was, i started skipping 20 - 30 minutes before breaking fast. 1 hour after breaking fast, I'll play maybe 2-3 sets twice a week.

Not to taxing to the body, and you still get to practice all the motions and movements albeit at a slower pace.

16. Gabriyel

Gabriyel Regular Member

How about simply let down the ramadan thingy? ;-)

17. green.blood

Feather basher
    Bro, religous obligations have no substitutes. Bear that in mind...

18. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Yes, low intensity and sharpening the skills and shots is a good way to manage it.;)

19. 16FeathRPassioN

16FeathRPassioN Regular Member

Student
    Well my Coach and his whole group used to practice/play before breaking fast, and now he's suggested us to do the same, like he's gonna coach us at the same time, but i/we have never did so, as we've have started playing just for 5 months,

20. Smash _Drop

Smash _Drop Regular Member

promotor
    i think that would be difficult, but i guess if you have the dedication and discapline it is definetely possible...i've injured my wrist so i have to rest no matter what:)