Beijing's Famous Silk Street Market

Discussion in 'Olympics BEIJING 2008' started by Loh, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    They have upgraded this famous bargain place for shirts and everything else since the last time I visited. Pay no more than 50% for what the sales girls asked for and you can't get wrong. If you're good, you may get away with paying only 30% of the asking price!

On August 14, our tour guide brought us here for shopping but hcyong and I preferred to look around instead. So we started from the top level and slowly eased our way to the ground floor. In the end we spent most of our time at the artists stalls, a hand painting expert and a dough figurine sculptor.

Yong was so impressed with the hand paintings that he bought two small pieces for RMB100 each.

We also spent time watching the silk thread making process using an ancient silk reeling machine.

The sales girls thought we were potential customers but they were disappointed when I only photographed them with their colourful pins instead. There was this nice girl who brought me around the jade jewellery shop on the top level so that she could practise her English on me. :D

Attached Files:

2. Fengwei

Fengwei Regular Member

Wow, nice pictures Loh! Sadly, I had no time to visit the Silk Market this year. Too busy with going out with you guys :D Next time, making it one of my definite places to visit!

It looks very crowded, but seems to be a heaven for shopaholics like myself ;)

3. billeclass

billeclass New Member

Nice shots...Thanks

4. yannie

yannie Regular Member

Beijing's Xiushui Silk Market... I never went there.. Went to Hongqiao and a lot of other markets instead... My friends went there.. They said this place is the best for shopping! (If you know how to bargain) Again nice pics, Loh.