Comparing Nanospeed 9000X and Armortec 900T

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Vincent604, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Vincent604

Vincent604 Regular Member

These rackets are both:
    -Either head heavy or moderately head heavy.
    -Placed with Elastic Ti.
    -Pretty stiff.
    -Aerodynamic headed.

So the question is; why is 9kX rated for smashing and 900T for defense? Their properties are more similar with each other than comparing with 900P or AT700. I know 1 is slightly stiffer than the other but still, Why are they on the opposite side of the spectrum?

2. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    NS9000X is as stiff as Yonex makes now, it it smashes way better if you can flex the shaft. AT900T just lacks that kind of power in general just due to the way it was designed.

Btw, NS9000X isn't as aerodynamic as AT900T, feels slower even though it's more headlight.

3. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

I happen to own these 2 babies. I can say with about 95% confidence interval that bending the stiffer racquet with backhand motion is harder than a less stiff racquet.

Yonex marketing uses Taufik Hidayat as a proponent of AT 900 technique, well known for his backhand strokes.

Defense is usually played backhanded using minimal backswing, so for better return of smash, a less stiff racquet will be better than a stiffer one.

Stiff racquets required greater strength to bend. So when it unbends, greater force is generated.

For forehand, you can used your arms (shoulders, elbow and wrist) to flex the racquet, whereas backhand, the range of motion is limited at the shoulder joint. Backhand is played with the wrist and elbow, hence weaker strength to flex the racquet shaft.

I guess the chart makes the following assumptions:

Defense = backhand
    Offense = forehand
    Stiff = greater power
    less stiff = less power

You can draw a quadrant and place the above and see if it makes sense.

North = forehand,
    South = backhand
    East = stiff
    West= less stiff

4. Dunk1970

Dunk1970 Regular Member

Intrigued by the backhand comments here. If you are struggling to clear backhand, then that shouldn't bear any relation to how well you can defend smashes. They are two totally different types of stroke. You may be right that it's harder to defend with the stiff racquet (I need more time with the racquet to decide), but if you are it has nothing to do with the fact that most smash returns are performed backhanded. I've only had 3 hours with the 9000X (3U and G3) but loved every second and found it easy to return smashes with. I have it strung with BG80 at 22lbs.

Personally, I have just switched from a medium flex racquet to the eXtra stiff 9000X and I get more distance than I used to on backhand (and forehand) clears. The 9000X is a superb racquet for me (fast but not overly powerful arm swing), but may not be for others.

I also wouldn't call the 9000X head heavy. It's a fraction above the line in their charts and has the same balance point as my old racquet that was described as 'balanced'.