Badminton in your Head

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by esim619, Aug 29, 2008.

1. esim619

esim619 New Member

So I was watching sportcenter the other day. And Lou Holtz was talking about an experiment that was performed.

It was something like...

Group A was told to practice 100 free throws (for basketball) everyday for a month. Group B was told to picture shooting 100 free throws in their heads everyday for a month, to mentally focus on an image of themselves shooting a basket and having the ball go in. Group C was told to do nothing.

In the end Group C didnt improve..obviously, they actually digressed. But surprisingly, Group A didn't improve anymore then Group B did.

So my question is. Is this an actual experiment with actual gains? or just a confucionist fable like story?

Just for fun, I have been picturing doing footwork or smashing or dropping or etc. for the last few days.

your thoughts?

2. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Yop, I think about playing badminton quite alot, especially when I'm very bored.
    It helps if I watch some pro's play ( ie: on youtube ).

3. mkwanster

mkwanster Regular Member

IT System Administrator
    ditto on footwork and stroke technique and how some singles players use them.

4. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

sometimes i visualize deceptive shots in my mind and sometimes even try to come up with new ones (meaning ones i've never employed). i believe it does help because when it comes to the real thing on court, i've already 'practised' numerous times.

5. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    mental imagery. sometimes it can be as effective as a real practice, and sometimes it won't. it depends on how strong your mental strength is, and how it affects you during games.

6. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

i reckon it is worthwhile thinking about the game a little off the courts.
    what i've found useful is thinking about:

1) why i've lost/won a particular game, what lessons to learn
    2) tactics/formation
    3) shot selection when playing with/against different people
    4) or just reliving recent/past glories! :)

7. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    Interesting. I believe that it is very individual how each of us learn, personally I learn much better if I give self the time to think through and imagine all the details of the movement, rather than just jump directly into a lot of excises.

8. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

If you think about it enough, it becomes something like imprinted in your mind and you just remember the exact steps on how to do things I guess.

9. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

And Shaq has thrown over 100 free throws in games, I don't think he's getting any better either haha.

10. Bozmo

Bozmo Regular Member

I don't really imagine myself doing the actual swing repeatedly. I usually think a lot about why I lost, weaknesses and strategies used.

I need to compile my reasoning and make them into natural reactions for situations. I don't want to reinvent the wheel every time during a game.

During off court time I think about what I want to improve the next time I go back on court and make short term goals for each session.

11. ray_mond

ray_mond Regular Member

i've actually heard of this story, just group a playing 50% of before, group b playing 125% of before, and group c playing 200% of before.. but of course.. this was told for religious reasons..

i personally believe it works, and i actually do it.. and it helps me focus during games.. and imagining the shot that im about to make