hi can you help me choose a new racquet

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by grizzlies03, Aug 31, 2008.

1. grizzlies03

grizzlies03 Regular Member

Hey
    Im looking for a new racquet. I would say im an intermediate player, just want a good racquet for recreational play. Planning to play more now. I like playing offense and I would like a racquet with power. But I noticed I had trouble returning serves that just went over the net and I wasnt good at returning drop shots. I might just need more practice or a racquet with better control?? And i wasnt good at serving shots that just went over the net, I would hit them into the net or not as close as i would like. I would like to be good at that too, so I believe it is offense.. Maybe about $150 and a yonex.

And which racquet would be good for my husband. He likes to do a bit of everything. some power and control. He is a beginner, but has good control and serves. about $100 and a yonex.

Thanks.

2. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    Is Yonex the only brand you are looking at? Since you are a recreational player and your husband is a beginner you should look at other brands like Apacs, RSL and SOTX.

3. Dead Fish

Dead Fish Regular Member

Teacher
    I would suggest the Yonex NC Tuff 9 Light, a decent and inexpensive racket. Its also quite durable and rather light. Its arround $100 in canadian.

4. grizzlies03

thanks for the help. its so hard to choose. i've been reading comments about rackets for a couple of weeks and still can't choose. I do want a yonex.now that ive read more i know what style i want.

which racket would have lots of power for smashing, control (for drops)and easy to manoeuver(lighter racket then?). more offense than defense. singles and doubles, but more single. i wouldnt want the stiffest, i can generate good power and speed, but i doubt its as fast as what others can do. thanks again.

5. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    If you want Yonex with $100 max then go with any low end AT or MP racket.

6. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

I would agree with you that these are matters more related to practice than the specifications of any racquet. (Except perhaps the quality of your stringing.)

It sounds like you've researched a lot and have identified what you want. Unfortunately , looking at the literature available, it is a lot easier to find specs of expensive racquets rather than cheaper (often adequate) ones.

My suggestion is pick the one that tickled your fancy the most.:)

7. grizzlies03

i can spend more than $100 for a racket. money is not an issue if it is worth it and my birthday is coming up hehe
    would you suggest a mp, at or nano? so i can narrow it down. thanks.

8. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    If you want power then go with SOTX W11.

9. Dunk1970

Dunk1970 Regular Member

I'm wondering if the serving issue might be the strings on your current racquet. Tighter strings will bring more control to your serving. Also, tighter strings will help control your returns of serve as well if you are going for a delicate return. If you are simply trying to knock it to the back of the court from an oponent's short serve, then that is mostly down to practice. You should also get better at these aspects of your game regardless of string, since you will be playing more often.

The Nanospeed 4500 is a light racquet (3U) that has a medium flex shaft. Not sure of its cost in dollars, but it's £60 or so here in the UK. Taking into account the exchange rate and that we generally pay higher prices over here, it should be $100 or less over your side of the pond. Some have said that the Nanospeeds are a bit more fragile than other racquets, so if you clash racquets often that might influence your decision. I've never broken a racquet this way (or any other way) and rarely clash it with other people's so this wasn't a concern for me when I bought my NS9000X. Hopefully I haven't just jinxed my racquet for Wednesday night. LOL

Someone mentioned the Armortecs. Be aware that they are generally head heavy racquets that will not be so manoeuvrable as balanced or head light racquets of the same weight. Instead, they will give you more power through additional momentum.