2008-09 BBC Membership $50.00(increased)

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by Takamsda, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Takamsda

Takamsda Regular Member

Professional Badminton Racket Stringer at Noah's B
    What do you think about the increase? Do you think they can keep all the promises?

2. Takamsda

Takamsda Regular Member

and for those played VRC Summer and paid $30 BBC membership fee(which indicated it's 2008-2009 full membership) would those have to pay the difference for the upgrade?

3. PrinceOfBMT

PrinceOfBMT Regular Member

Umpire
    I'm so glad someone bought this up

I am preparing a big ass debate about this through powerpoint and numerous paint jpegs

Gimme maybe 4 days and i'll give u guys something awesum to read

But damn badmintonbc is gonna get their hands full

4. wonger47

wonger47 Regular Member

Student
    http://www.badmintonbc.com/page.aspx?id=1601

Mission Statement

The mission of Badminton BC is to coordinate, govern and encourage the advancement of the sport, in all aspects, at all levels, throughout the province of BC.

- encourage the advancement of the sport by charging more for membership, huh? badminton is an expensive sport already! rackets, strings, shuttles, court rentals, lessons, tournament fees, etc. - it never ends. Badminton BC hopes to increase membership by 2010 and to one day produce a World Champion from BC (http://www.badmintonbc.com/page.aspx?id=1601), and yet an increase to membership may lead to the opposite. :rolleyes:

Vision Statement

Building Champions from Grassroots to Olympics:
    10,000 members by 2010

- yay! $500 000 for Badminton BC in 2010 (maybe more if there are further increases)

Down with this "pay or don't play" policy

5. wonger47

wonger47 Regular Member

Student
  6. PrinceOfBMT

Umpire
    sorry for the delay

but i've been busy analyzing the flaws

those who oppose to increase price plz continue to post

7. Ah_Shum

Ah_Shum Regular Member

Turbo Stringer
    well..to those who notice the big increase in price from bmt bc is because of the insurance coverage this year for all players and coaches and some other minor stuff that was added but I sorta forgot what was mentioned @ the meeting in Prince George..

8. VeryBaddd

VeryBaddd New Member

Unemployed
    $50 for a membership would be ok if they (badmintonbc) ACTUALLY did something for the members, but they don't... the organization is such a joke, and the increased membership fee is a cash grab.
    PrinceofBMT, where is your powerpoint presentation? We're all eager to see it :)

9. Takamsda

Takamsda Regular Member

As HL mentioned about a power-point, I don't have one, I'll just type whatever is in my mind. Hopefully I don't offend anyone. So let me list why I don't like feel paying for this expensive membership fee.

Just to quote the entire membership information. See what beef BBC has for general public(you & me and your children(if any))

Registered membership with Badminton BC provides individuals with three key opportunities:

1.To personally contribute to the general growth and development of the sport of their choice, 'Badminton', both in BC and in their own zone.

[I know I know, I am paying the money down and WHAT? WHAT growth? Look at the poor city I live in, high-school badminton sucks. Badminton is so dry that I have to go any other city to get enough badminton-fix. And it's been like this for 10+ years.]

2.To access written and verbal communication through the Badminton BC office on ''Badminton business'' locally, provincially, nationally and internationally.

[ I personally doubt anyone needs to pay membership to “communicate” with BadmintonBC. You can just phone them!. Oh, do they check BadmintonBC membership # before they talk to you? funny]

3.To receive coverage under BadmintonBC's Insurance Program in the event that they are injured or that their actions are judged to be negligent and cause injury to another individual or damage to property other than their own.

[ no comments / don't want to go into details]

All members in good standing of Badminton BC for the 2008-2009 season shall be entitled to a complete range of benefits and services including:

[So... Who is not in a good standing? I want to know the names so I will know if I am not in a good standing. And what will constitute a not good standing?]

*Available discounts with retailers and facility rentals;

[What discounts? The socks promotion they did last time? Or the yearly go on Playland thingy I can get else where too? ]

*Discounted Hotel Accommodation at Sandman Hotels;

[Good! Tell me which part of the beef this is, but I wonder if it's better than the other beef I can get. Everytime I have a little badminton group away tournament I just phone the local hotel and ask for sports group discount rate and I got good rate everytime I call.]

*Discounted Tickets for the PNE and Playland;

[oh, I mentioned earlier]

*Access to the Athlete Assistance Program;

[Oh! Who qualifies AAP? I don't even think 1% of the current member qualifies for AAP, again, this beef is so abstract, Why mention it? ]

*Eligibility to access available Scholarship programs;

[I believe this is for high-school grad who qualifies]

*Availability to access the SportsFunder Junior Travel Subsidy;

[OK.... I am not a junior anymore....... I get nothing, but my kids will get it and I don't have kid(s)]

*Access to the External Sport Credits Program;

[High-school only]

*Preferential rental of Badminton BC’s portable courts;

[argh... Huh? What are you talking about? Portable courts! Do they have one? What do I need it for? To run a tournament?]

*Coverage through Badminton BC's accident and liability insurance program with portability provided for local, regional, provincial, national, and international events;

[....... Can you explain in English again? Maybe my 3 time English 12 did not help me on this]

*Access to the Greater Vancouver Badminton League;
    [um... What is a Vancouver Badminton League? Is there one? What is the location? Can I play? ]

*Eligibility to participate in Badminton BC Sanctioned Tournaments, Clinics, and Camps (players, coaches, and officials);

[OK .... Here is the beef. And I need to pay $50 buck. This is the reason why 99.75% of people who sign up BBC membership so they can play in a/the “Sanctioned” tournament(s).]

*Eligibility to access updated Ranking information;

[Um......... all I need is to open my FireFox and go on BadmintonBC.com to get it. Is BadmintonBC going to make its website member's only, You must log-in with your BBC membership # and birthday password in order to see it?]

*Eligibility to participate in Badminton BC Coaching Courses and Officials Courses;

[OK....... Pay......Coaches/Umpires/Referees]

*Access to the Schools Program Racquet Program;

[What is SPRP? Can anyone tell me? Who could benefit from it?]

*All editions of the Badminton BC newsletter, Courtlines;

[I love reading, I love reading, I want to read Courtline newsletter.!]

*Dedicated Badminton BC membership identification numbers and membership cards;

[Um....... no more yellow-cow this year? Does it come w/ a picture ID w/ birth date on it?]

*Access to online membership and tournament registration;

[You mean tournamentsoftware.com? I know you don't need BBC membership # to register a tournament, and people just enter whatever # since they have no clue about their # even if they've fully paid. I don't know my BBC # for 4 years. They never tell me. Whenever I enter a tournament and asked for BBC membership #. I write down, “go ask BBC.”]

*An open line of communication with the Badminton BC office;

[Can I not have this open line and reduce another 5 buck?]

*Access to the informational and news website www.badmintonbc.com

[..............I mentioned earlier]

*Direct member email, phone, and mail communication;

[Yup...... BBC is sending their headline News to it's e-mail database.......Good, now I don't need to go to BBC website to get the headlines]

*If over 16 years of age, voting privileges at the Badminton BC Annual General Meeting;

[ Vote.................... I want to vote......... but if it's held in Victoria / Kamloop then I have to drive down there, maybe book a room, just to be there to vote. You know... Internet voting is popular...(not saying it's not secure but hey, I am not a MIS)]

*Enhanced sport development and sport tourism across the province in all BC Games Zones;

[Enhanced!? You mean, more money to cover Zone expenses... I have no problem with that]

*Enhanced Media communication and attention;

[Yup, BBC is doing a lot more w/ Media, judging from last National, They got BT(Breakfast Television) to do interviews. But I never get to see it.......]

*Profiling of Badminton BC Members;

[Now I am scared........ Good sheep and Black sheep, I know I ain't white as snow in eyes of some people. There is a thing call personal privacy. This should be optional]

*A dedicated full-time Staff, volunteer Board of Directors, and Zone Representatives;

[ NO COMMENTS, I don't care.]

*Partnership management with the Government of BC, Ministry of Healthy Living and Sport, Sport and Recreation Branch, Team BC Programs, Sport BC, Canadian Sport Centre Pacific, 2010 LegaciesNow, BC Games Society, Coaches Association of BC, BC Athlete Voice, and Badminton Canada;

[ So.... “Management?” um........define management. So many organization's name mentioned but what do they do? Do they manage BBC or? I am confused. I don't understand. What is “partnership management”? Can anyone explain this term to me and to anyone who doesn't understand?]

*Liaison with municipal governments, municipal recreation and facilities departments, Provincial Sports Organizations, Provincial Badminton Organizations, Badminton BC Member Clubs, Action Schools BC, and the High School Badminton Commission;

[Deleted what I wrote because I don't even know what I am writing anymore. BadmintonBC is very confusing for me.]

[oh what happened to that contact lenses & etc insurance thingy?]

[So most of the above service/benefit mentioned above aren't really anything you can enjoy. You're titled but it's just thin air]

To sum it all, $50 buck BBC membership is expensive with many abstract services/benefits. It enables you to play ALL sanctioned tournaments(but my friend just want to play one tournament). Maybe a BBC membership #/ID card. Maybe a courtline newsletter. And many many beef you and I will never enjoy.

I've been paying $30 BBC full membership for 4 years straight. What was promised never realise. The 2 most important things I wanted were the BBC ID and the court-line newsletter(physical). The two never mail to my address. I've spoke to Mr. Turner. He said BBC was working on the BBC ID. And it was more than 18 month ago. And don't ask me when and where. Do I must voice record everything BadmintonBC said?

I've been asking some of my non-competitive badminton friends (4~5) guys to join some non-ranking Open tournaments. When asked about the cost of entering the tournament, the membership fee turn them away, especially this year. Two guys were very interested in C1 Junior Open category, what they cared were day/time and fee. The 50 bucks BBC membership fee turned them away. They want to play but paying up to like 100 bucks(inc the 10 dollar surcharge for paying on tournament) is more than average people's day's pay. Imaging having two children playing 4 events and paying on the tournament will cost (50+50+10)*2 = 220 dollar. And 3 children? You do the math. Any parent will think more than twice before they sign their kids up for the tournament. Like it is said somewhere, it only cost you 13.7 cents/day for the membership. I don't think anyone else will agree. Someone (for real) would only play 1 tournament a year. And BBC membership and tournament fee will cost him a fortune. (Friend: I want to play tournament, it's only 1~2 days and I have to to pay this GOD-DAMN EXPENSIVE $50 BUCKS membership fee! SCREW IT!/actually said by my friend, I didn't make this up/)

Tournament is to make money. And BBC is asking so much for the membership. It's crazy! Who's gonna play sanctioned tournament anymore? BBC wants 10000 member by 2010!? Dream on. Your membership fee structure is driving people away from badminton. Good Job! BadmintonBC!

One coming up Junior B tournament might get cancel due to X number of registration. And X is a single digit. Good job BBC! And don't even think someone told me. I heard it, over the conversation. No one knows I know that I know what they don't know what I know(sounds like BBC isn't it?) And now you know what I know about what they know.

Badminton is growing in BC. Go to badminton centers in Richmond. You'll see tons of people wear street shoe and playing w/ plastic shuttlecock. They'll pay for drop-in, maybe a shared court rental with family/friends. A two buck drink. But when it comes to paying $50 just for a badminton association membership fee. Answer I heard is “No eh, it's too expensive”. I've talked to maybe 20+ people, ask them about how they feel the price for the membership. 100% of them said it's too expensive, and will not play any tournament if BBC membership is required. How do I get more people to play tournaments? I can't! Say I don't promote badminton. So help me gasoline price. Maybe when 1L cost less than 1 buck then people will.

I am a customer of BadmintonBC(I see it this way) and I've paid my due. Where are the promises? I am unsatisfied and unhappy. Thus I am complaining. A lot of my real friend feel the same. Anyone else on the virtual Internet?

BadmintonBC improved a lot since last year maybe thanks to my last long post. I heard they feel they're threatened! Hell, so if I don't post anything everything happened will happen? I don't like to communicate in a “official” way. There 're some people don't want me to post anything. I am entitle to my opinion. I ain't saying BadmintonBC is not doing any work at all. I just feel my money paid is not worth it. For how long? Since the beginning. I never have a Badminton Ontario nor Badminton Alberta membership. I don't know how comparable BadmintonBC is to two other badminton associations. Want me to pull the websites and make a excel decision matrix and come back and tell everyone which association I like better? Hell no, I don't live there, I live in BC, and I have to suffer in BC. Am I bias? Am I unfair to BadmintonBC? Did BadmintonBC pay me to enjoy Badminton? No! I pay BadmintonBC so I can play tournaments. So why can't I say something when I am unsatisfied with the service I've experience with BadmintonBC. I've got more stories but that will expose who I am. I think I am the most dirtiest sheep in the eyes of BadmintonBC. ll I have to say is, I don't like service BadmintonBC has provided and is proposing. I am hungry. I paid the $$ and the beef never came. Can I sue the restaurant? And $50 bucks for abstract beef? Look at it. There will be more and more and more non-sanctioned tournaments. They'll make money. Who's the biggest loser? People aren't interested in sanctioned tournaments like before.

Wake up BadmintonBC! (you're losing a lot of members and will bring down many clubs/center tournaments with you)

P.S. I respect all BadmintonBC board directors(that I know of) They're volunteers who spend many precious hour of theirs' to help Badminton in BC. It's a non-paying position. They've done a lot for Badminton in BC last year. I thank them for their hard work.

Spent 3 hours typing the above. Hay time and tomorrow is another long day. I would love to read response publicly. And will not reply anyone since I don't have time. I wanted to typed the above since the minute BBC post the membership fee increase. I have “a little” time right now before my hay time. Next time I write anything will be after........school's over?

You see... I am helping BadmintonBC to “see” what I “see”. BadmintonBC needs to “see see” what people need/want before they post a price-tag on their membership. Because no one is buying. (When you go to a bubble tea place, you sometimes read a line saying, minimum charge $3.50 per person. That turns away customers. Those who paid the $$ is because their seats are heated up. All I wantis a $3.25 black tea and you're making me to buy pearls.)

Oh yah, so later if BadmintonBC decides to reduce the membership fee and or come up multi-structure membership fee. Should I say........ I told you so? (You know...... I like the ONE fix-fee $30 idea. /dang I should make this part transparent so no one would read it/)

#9 Takamsda, Sep 17, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  10. Takamsda

Takamsda Regular Member

Damage Control

Talking about damage control, BBC posts its membership numbers in just 21 hrs after my last post. That's SPEEDY FAST!! I guess Ken Thiesen spent his entire day, even after office hour to work that membership number page out. Working til almost mid-night. Poor Ken, he shall entitle to over-time for his labour work. I guess I owe him my speedy reply.

Now everyone knows their membership number, and everyone know everyone where they live! Talking about data-mining. You can have it all now, even for children under age of 13. Whoever tries to "satisfy" my "desire" must did it diligently. And now I know which city this cute girl I admire lives. PERFECT! Did BadmintonBC have the concent from all the under age minor and their parents?. Oh God...... Why can't they think through before they do anything quick?

And should I check line to line on the membership benefits to the one one day ago. So is BadmintonBC adding more value to the meal? I don't know cause I don't have time to check. I want to sleep now.

The more you want to cover shows the more you want to hide. Did posting "my" BBC membership # make me happy? um.. Where is the physical card? And why is my hometown listed? And giving me a physical card right now wouldn't stop me posting my feedback. Four years without the physical card, four years without knowing my BBC membership #, telling me now wouldn't mend the scars. Having a BBC membership # doesn't make me feel proud. Now I don't want to play tournaments.

So spent so many hours on something means nothing much. Poor Ken, I hope he's alright. He's working past mid-night and still sending e-mail notice to all members. Who made him work this hard today? Was it me? Or it's accumulative of lacking beef in the past many years. Must remind myself not to take a position that I have to make up all the shortcoming.

Hay time. Good night! Ken

11. VeryBaddd

VeryBaddd New Member

Unemployed
    Wow, great argument Takamsda.
    (You should work for badmintonbc, but maybe you're over-qualified):D

12. wonger47

wonger47 Regular Member

Student
  13. PrinceOfBMT

Umpire
    i'm not working on powerpoint is becoz i contacted Ken myself and he resolved sum of the concerns i have about the membership and explained a lot of things about what's to come

I'm giving him a chance in the next two months and for now is been ok. I'm just waiting to see whether or not the membership cards will show up at my door plus whether or not Courtlines will resurract like back in 1999

14. towbsss

towbsss Regular Member

Athlete
    They've changed the fee to $15. However they will add an additional tournament surcharge. The first tournament will cost an extra $15, the next one will be an extra... $5-$10. So, for those who want to enter the ClearTwo Jr B tournament, there is still time as they should be extending the deadline to make up for this change.

If you have paid $50, you will be reimbursed by BBC. Not too sure about the details, but I'm sure they'll give you back the money one way or another.