Help with tour choices - Halifax & Saint John

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by LazyBuddy, Sep 2, 2008.

1. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I have a friend will be on a cruise for 7 days (9/13 - 9/20). Two of the stops are Halifax and Saint John. There are many tours choices given to her as a package, and she would like to know which she should pick.

For both Halifax and Saint John, she has about 8-10 hrs of staying. Here are her initial preferred choices:

Halifax:
    - Peggy’s Cove & Double Decker City tour
    - Halifax City & Habour Duck tour

Saint John:
    - The Bay of Fundy at Fundy National Park
    - Hopewell Rocks – Bay of Fundy Escape

Due to the time limit, I think she can only pick 1 for each stop. I believe the price quote for Halifax tours are about US$100, and the ones in Saint John are about US$200.

Please give me some advice, as I have no idea about these 2 places myself. Or, if you have other suggestions, please feel free to post as well.

Thanks! :)

2. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Dear Lazy,

I'm Haligonian. So I could sing the praises of my city.
    I've lived in Saint John. So I could describe the charms.

However, to tell the honest truth, I feel that both must be disappointments to cruise ship inmates. I mean, how can you see much on the few hours parole you have. To see any city well, you need a couple days and a native to show you around.

If your friend is coming in the colder months, then Halifax offers more to see. Saint John is kind of industrial. I love Saint John. I met my wife there. I have friends there. But for the casual tourist, the first impression will probably be the smell of the pulp and paper mill.

I gotta go now, but if you want more info, just PM me.

3. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Bay of Fundy is a good bet. The high tide is out of this world.

4. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Lazybuddy,

Sorry, I misread your original post. I was in haste to put down the munchkins before their first day of school.

Halifax:
    Peggy's cove is bleakly pretty. If you like to hike about the barrens, it's kind of neat. If she isn' t too atheletic, then she might not like standing there in the wind, and being pushed to buy cheesy memorabilia from the gift shop. Today is meaningful for that spot because it's the anniverary of the crash of Swiss Air 111 in 1998.

The Duck boat is kind of cool. But it can also be cold and wet. It gives an entertaining (albeit usually a little loose with historical fact) tour of the city. It wouldn't take too long. And then she could spent the rest of the time in town shopping etc.

For Saint John:
    The Hopewell rocks are neat.....if the tide is out.
    Fundy national Park is a safer bet. Pretty and a good place if your friend likes hiking.

Hope that helps.

#4 Fidget, Sep 2, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  5. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Master Fidget,

Perhaps, it's a good idea to insert a few photos of the Fundy Bay area to impress our visitor :D.

6. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

As Lord Pete commands, so it shall be done...

First pic is the Hopewell Rocks.
    Second pic is typical lads your friend is likely to meet at the local pub. :)
    (If I knew how to photoshop, I'd put badminton racquets in their hands)

Attached Files:

7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

After reading the above itinerary..

..(given by Fidget) i take it the main activities that are worth taking on these 2 places are:
    hiking and shopping..........................................and a bit more hiking and shopping....[​IMG]

8. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Hiking & Shopping

Well, what else does one do on vacation?:confused:
    Especially if the whole sailing time on the cruise is Eating & Sleeping.

Of course, if any BC member ever comes this way, you could have the Fidget "Triple B" treatment --bicycles, badminton and beer.:) (I'm sure lobster figures in there somewhere too)

Unfortunately Atlantic Canada doesn' t have much in the way of Colliseums, Pyramids or Wats. No bull fights (but outside a bar at 3 am you may see a cat fight). No whirling dervishes but beware of whirling kilts .... you may see more than you bargained for like the folks on one passing tour boat in 1988:

Attached Files:

#8 Fidget, Sep 3, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Thanks for the help, I will forward this to my friend and let her pick. ;)

10. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Other options (since you asked)

If one could get a car, a trip to the Annapolis Valley (Nova Scotia) would be nice at the end of September. As opposed to the foggy, briny coast, it is bucolic splendour--especially if the leaves have started changing. It's apple growing territory. Wolfville is a small University town. It has farmers' markets, pretty views, and a corn maze for kids. Kentville has a pumpkin people festival in October.
    There are a couple wineries (try Grand Pre's New York Muscat) and some upscale and downhome type restaurants.

From Saint John (New Brunswick) one could escape to the Kennebecasis Valley. There are small cute towns like Hampton. Or you could just drive along the Kingston peninsula. Scenic but not much to do for city folk. Closer to the port is Irving Nature Park. (Irving is to Saint John as Boss Hogg was to Hazard County....i.e. they got a finger in everything).