Crazy shots

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Fourcas, Jun 9, 2002.

1. Fourcas

Fourcas Regular Member

Student
    During many years with badminton i think that we have seen some crazy shots. I remember playing with a guy somewhat 4-5 years ago and let me tell you what happened.

I was getting ready to serve and knowing he wasn't much of a smasher i decided to serve a long high serve. Perfect serve. he made made a rather slow drop witch i pushed back very high.
    Knowing it was a good lob i returned to center and waited for his reply.
    And it came

It started out as a cross fast drop, suddenly the shuttle hit the net and started arguing whether it should stay on his side or not. During this "argument" the shuttle travelling 40-45 cm on top of the net. Finally miss fortune decided to be on his side, and the shuttle dropped nicely on my side.

Today i only remember this shot and not how the game turned out.

Back then, in the gym - training - , i always picked the odd shot, a shot meant to trick the opponent. Looking back this have given me great skills in using my wrist to deceive opponents.:p The downside is that a complete arm motion sometimes gives a more stabile shot......:(

2. jayes

jayes Regular Member

Badminton specialty selling strings, grips, shuttl
    Thanks for sharing it. Usually I've seen "crazy shots" when we don't plan for that particular shot. Luck perhaps? :)

3. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    I remember flicking the shuttle over a guys head while he was at the net after playing a tight net shot.

He scrambled back to recover the situation and hit the shuttle through his legs while facing away from the net and leaping over the shuttle. (some people actually practice this shot)

The shuttle hit the top of the net and tumbled over.

I was not amused with that!

#3 UkPlayer, Jun 9, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2002
  4. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
    G'day,

The one that I remember till this day was when I missed timed my cross court smash from left hand side of the court to right hand side alley. I over sliced the shot so the shuttle flew stright into the net post on the right hand side, and ricochet off the top of post and bounced back into the centre of the court for a winner. The umpire did not know whether to award the point to me or not so we had to replay.

And I lost the replay! :(

5. Chen Dan :D

Chen Dan :D Regular Member

KGB spy
    Spinning Net Shot

I have seen some strange things in my time i was playing someone and they done a tight spinning net shot and the person who spun the shuttle. Made the shuttle so tight that the shuttle actually got caught in the net as it went over and actually got stuck on the other side of the net. In the end the point had to be replayed haha.......

Hey if the shuttle hit the post and bounced in, the point should be counted in, if i'm correct?.........

I have also seen a Rally played with by a broken racket (frame) (the racket was broken in mid rally. I've seen the shuttle cork been busted off leaving just the feathers on the court.

Trick shots i have seen lots by some people, its actually useful to practice them as it helps in game situations.

6. JFob

JFob Regular Member

trick shots

ive seen a funky trick shot
    the player hits the bird underhand like a serve.
    The rackets swings one direction but the bird goes to the opposite direction. The first time I saw this i was in shock. It completely fooled me.
    Yeah, this was a weird shot.

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Riley's believe or not

About 4 months ago, i had the luck to witness a very unique shot.
    It was a tight net shot made quite low below the tape.
    the Mavis 300 landed horizontally on the tape and stayed there.
    the team from both sides waited for more than a minute so everyone can see it too but the shuttle remain stationery all that time on the tape.

The net is official badminton kind made by victor and not some thick utility net or volleyball net. Later, I tried balancing a mavis 300 shuttle horizontally on the tape and never succeed once.

8. Slanter

Slanter Regular Member

The best shot I saw was played by my partner during a first round doubles game in the Wessex Open a few years ago. Following some desperate defending I managed to play a tight block to the net. This was well anticipated by the opposition who played a net shot that hit the top of the tape and just fell on our side. My partner stepped forwards and just reached the shuttle before it hit the ground and hit it with a very fast slicing action. The shuttle actually hit the bottom of the net and sort of climbed up our side, a bit like a spider, and just reached the top and toppled over. The opposition was right on top of it but was too afraid to hit it for fear of touching the net! I don't think they ever recovered from that. Of course we got tonked by a Danish pair in the second round.

9. Californian

Californian Regular Member

When I played in college, our top player, who was from Thailand, always returned low smashes to the body by bringing the racquet behind him and hitting it between his legs. He returned smashes to his backhand side by bringing the racquet around his back and hitting behing-the-back style. He wasn't showing off--that's just how he played.

The funniest thing I ever saw came from this old-time player when he would play a kid who hadn't played him before. The kid would make a net drop on this guy. The old-timer would look and POINT to the left with his free hand as if to say "There's where I going to hit it," and without even watching the shuttle, pop a nice re-drop to the right corner.

10. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    when my friend was at ofsaa, he was at the net (singles) and smashed it, his opponent swung his racquet behind his back and actually hit it and it went past my friend!! fortunately, it was out by about an inch..

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    wow almost 7 years ago my last post here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cRN8atW-wM

12. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
  13. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

that happens everytime in swiss open. dunno its coincident or that wilson net..:D
    i remembered last year, when lee chong wei vs eric pang or dicky palyama in the 1st round of the swiss open, the same thing happen;)
    manage to watch it on live streaming that time:cool:

14. WhiteRice94

WhiteRice94 Regular Member

slacker
    My craziest shot was when i hit a smash