Hi from New Zealand!

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by adelina76, Jun 9, 2002.

1. adelina76

adelina76 Regular Member

Solicitor
    Hi all!

Don't laugh..but I actually just discovered this website and forum even though I've played badminton for like almost 20 years (I'm 26). Dunno if you got anyone from NZ before on this website, but unfortunately, it's not very popular here. I'm originally from Malaysia, but living here now. It's an awesome place to be, but unfortunately following badminton from here kinda sucks..for example, we don't even get badminton on cable tv! :( All we get is rugby, cricket and rugby, golf, did I mention rugby?! :) Don't get me wrong..love rugby..but still..love badminton more! :)

So I missed out on the Thomas Cup action..pity M'sia couldn't repeat its 1992 performance. Bring back Foo Kok Keong I say! :p I don't care if he has to use walking stick! :) Out of curiosity, anyone remember him? If you do, do you know that he's now a badminton racquet manufacturer? I learnt that recently..the racquets he made are under the 'thomas cupper' brand. Anyone used them before?

Anyway..just wanted to say hi from kiwiland and I just want to say that reading all the interesting things you've guys written about the game just helped quenched that badminton thrist a wee bit! :) I'm also impressed that badminton is so popular in the States..for some reason (ignorance being the main one..doh!) I thought badminton would be like unheard of in the States..glad to be proven wrong :D

2. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
    G'day adelina,

Don't feel too bad about lack of coverage on badminton in NZ. We are no different here in Australia!

From a island(s) country of 4 million people with 70 million sheeps, ;) I think there's actually more badminton player per capita than Australia. Probably the reason why you haven't come across many badminton fanatics back in NZ is because most of them now live here in Australia! At my local club some of the best players are ex-pat from NZ and they know a thing or two about badminton. We also have lots of Malaysian / Chinese / Thai / Hong Kong / UK / India players stationed here so we have quite an international mix here which is fantastic, as each of these players bring their style of play into our otherwise text-book style of badminton play.

Happy playing in NZ and if you get a chance to come Oz, you will be sure to find lots of Kiwis badminton nutters abound here!

3. adelina76

adelina76 Regular Member

Solicitor
    NZ vs Australia

G'day ayl mate! :)

That's true...no wonder Australia are world beaters..you keep importing our good strong kiwi athletes..hehe...all jokes aside..dunno if you know this, but twice in a row now that NZ beat Australia in the annual White Trophy badminton competition :)

I had the opportunity to play in the NZ Open two years ago..made it to the quarterfinals..and had to play the 3rd seed Aussie girl..can't remember her name but she sure kicked my sorry arse! *pout* :mad: hehe..nevermind :)

As for the sheep...good point..but at least we know they are farming animals and not meant for any other extra-curricular activities that the Aussies seem to be quite fond of indulging in with the sheep.. *smiles innocently* :p

But it's cool to know that at least there's some aussie boy in here that plays badminton. IF you ever come over to Chch..let me know, we can go have a hit! :);)

4. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Hi,

You dont have it out there? We are meant to be withing the top 10 of the world, we come away with a bronze medal form the olympics and still we get hardly any coverage. It's not just countries where badminton is not popular, even over here when it is popular we still have little coverage.

Matt

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    on behalf of all the folks here in BC/BF, welcome! hope you find yourself at home here.

6. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Hi Adelina,
    NZ has a pretty good player in Nicole Gordon (she's currently ranked 58th and her sister, Rebecca is ranked 82nd.

Nicole is sponsored by Winex.

BTW, a hearty canuck welcome to you.

#6 Winex West Can, Jun 10, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2002
  7. adelina76

adelina76 Regular Member

Solicitor
    Thanks

Thanks Kwun and Winex for the hearty welcome :)

You're right in that Nicole Gordon is a pretty player but I kind of prefer Geoff Billingam and Blair...oh what's his surname..myself :)

I got to watch them in action in the NZ Open 2 years ago..they're good :) Rhona Robertson impresses me more though..she's a very hard worker :)

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    hi

Lots of places to play in Christchurch? And I'm not talking about playing with sheep!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

9. adelina76

adelina76 Regular Member

Solicitor
    Places to play

You are talking like 'touristry' places eh? And not referring to badminton places?

If you mean to look around, well..where does one start..but basically Chch is very scenic and is definitely a haven for outdoor lovers..its beautiful mountains and natural walks are among the best in the world..after all, most of the Lord of the Rings Scenes are taken from South island, closeby to Christchurch..

Also wonderful beaches and amazing tramping sites..however, if you want loads of shopping and busy city nightlife..sorry, not ideal to come to Chch then..hehe, perhaps HK is better for that
    :D

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Sorry, it's only interesting if there's badminton to be found. :)

From your description Chch doesn't seem to have much! How do you get to play?

I know drinking wine is pretty popular there.................mmmmm

11. adelina76

adelina76 Regular Member

Solicitor
    Oh..hehe, badminton..places

Well...like I said b4, badminton isn't exactly the most popular sports..and so there's not that many places..the ones I can think of are: 1) Pages Road Badminton Hall..8 badminton courts centre..where we play our 'big games'..2) University gymnasium, 3 courts and St Thomas badminton hall..4 courts..not many :(

As for wine..yeah, wine is very good here..but drinking wine and playing badminton, a bad mix..unless you play using the 'drunken smashes' style..hehe :p

12. Fourcas

Fourcas Regular Member

Student
    party near chch

...visited your beautiful country 2 years ago. Stayed a couple of days at YMCA in Chch. Nice architecture, but definitely not a place for partying....Dunedin is better i reckon....
    Anyway, stayed in Auckland for quite some time and met the chinese coach for the <19 (i think) team. We played against both male and female players. I dont remember their names but one of the girls was a hardhitter looking slightly maouri( bad spelling? sorry!) As far as i remember, they didn't win many games at the world championships <19 (or s'thing)

btw, welcome to the forum. I've been a passive user for months but last week i saw a subject on fingerpower and just had to post a message. since then..........hooked..........:D

13. adelina76

adelina76 Regular Member

Solicitor
    Re: party near chch

Hey Fourcas, how come you were in NZ..were you part of the Danish under 19 team on tour? Yeah, NZ badminton teams are generally not very strong compared to international players..but don't tell ayl this..but at least we can kick the aussie's arses anytime..especially when they spend all their time with their sheep instead of training..*innocent look* :)

The Chinese coach you're talking about..I know who you mean..but I can't remember her name at the moment..darn it..don't you hate that? It'll come to me like 3 am in the morning or something! *mutter*

Anyway, thanks for the welcome, like you, I'm hooked too..and if I haven't said it yet, Well done to you administrator and moderators who have kept this website very interesting and lively! :)

14. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

Quick explanation of Kiwi outlooks on life

This joke manages to explain how they grossly mispronounce "a", though it doesn't cover how they pronounce "i", it does however explain their opinion of sheep ;)

kiwi joke
    An Australian was holidaying in New Zealand and was walking through a farm
    and came across a new zealander having sex with a sheep, the australian said
    to the new zealander "In australia we shear them", the new zealander turns
    around and says "im not sheerin this with nobody"

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    wahahah, this one should be store in the humor section one day:D

16. Slanter

Slanter Regular Member

Hi adelina76

You do realise that any thread that you and ayl both enter will likely contain references to sheep for the next few months. It is always refreshing to hear from kiwis and aussies because you genereally have a much better attitude towards sport than us northern hemispherers. Also it is always good to have another person around who says arse and not ass (Matt Ross take note!).

17. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
    New Zealand - land of sheep -

So adelina76 talks sheep....

Australia - land of cattles

ayl talks bull*r@p!

At least we have something in common - belting bottle corks with goose feathers! ;)

18. adelina76

adelina76 Regular Member

Solicitor
    sheep and cattles, corks and feathers..

That's right Slanter..we are very sheepish about our country whereas the aussies are kinda bull-ying with their attitude towards others..tee hee :p

As for using 'arse' instead of 'ass'..hehe, it's kinda like using the word 'fanny'..*blush*

Anyway, thanks for the welcome and I must say, I've been hooked on the columns and been thoroughly enjoying myself writing, replying, fobbing off cattle-mad Aussie badminton players who can't crouch properly..*innocent look* Hey ayl, if we play mix, won't we then be 'Crouching Aussie and Hidden Kiwi'? :p