China out to woo journalists from the developing countries

Discussion in 'Olympics BEIJING 2008' started by Loh, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Miadhu News,
    Maldives

The China experience
    September 7, 2008

Jaufar Rasheed

I started on my journey to the Chinese capital Beijing on the 18 of last month. I was joined by media personalities from other local new agencies such as Foreign News Editor of Haveeru Daily Imaadh Latheef, newscaster of Television Maldives (TVM) Hafsee Abdulla and Program Director of Dhi FM Hassan Shahir Adam. Our travel to Beijing China was at the invitation of the Chinese government and after making a brief stop at Colombo and Singapore we reached our destination the next day.

We all thought we were being invited by the Chinese government to cover the then ongoing Beijing Olympics 2008. We were not the only one who were under that impression, 66 journalists from 17 different countries more or less were under the same impression. It was only when our schedules were thrust upon us we knew the real objective of the trip was not cover the Olympics but to show the world how prepared China was for the Olympic games, to provide information on various preparations she had made this global sports event and also to provide as much information on China, the rich cultural heritage and the economic advancements the country has achieved in recent years.

Although disappointed at not being able to cover Olympic Games, I will always cherish the memories of the visit. It was a visit filled with contrasting experiences; the opportunity to witness the developments and achievements of this great nation as well as to experience the rich culture of its people is one of the most powerful experiences of my life.

Apart from the 4 of us we were joined by journalists from Bhutan, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Cambodia, North Korea, East Timor, Indonesia, India, Laos, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, Philippines, Sri Lanka and Vietnam.

A warm welcome

The welcome afforded to us by the Chinese authorities was exemplary. From the moment of arrival and till time of departure the hospitality of the Chinese officials was superb, overwhelming. I would like to mention the assistance and cooperation afforded to us by the Chinese Embassy officials in Sri Lanka. The warmth and the friendly nature of the Chinese people is something that I will always remember for the rest of my life.

Visits begins

On the 19th, true to the schedule, visits to various places of importance commenced. The visits commenced with a visit to China’s most famous daily newspaper People’s Daily and people’s.com. We all were warmly received by officials of the People’s Daily and People’s.com. Apart from few differences the operation People’s Daily is almost same as any daily news paper in Maldives. The operation of the People’s Daily and the website is managed from different offices staffed by different people. A well organized hi tech studio is provided for the website for taking its own images. We were given a lot of information on both the website and People’s Daily.

On the 20th, we all were taken to the Olympic Headquarters in Beijing. There, at a ceremony held at the Olympic team’s main press room, all journalists were shown a presentation on how China prepared for the Olympic Games. We were also provided with loads of information on the Olympics Games. The chief of the Beijing International Media Center was also present and responded to questions of the foreign journalists. We were then shown the media center specially designed by the Chinese authorities for the Olympic Games. Unlike media centers I have had the privilege to visit, the Beijing Olympic media center was by far the largest and most spacious. To see this huge media center bustling with busy journalists, newscasters and reporters from all over the world covering every single event of the Beijing 2008 Games, was a wonderful experience.

Visit to Bird's Nest

The first item on the schedule for 21 was a visit to the Beijing National Stadium, where the official opening ceremony of the Olympic Games was held, also known as the Bird's Nest. We spent nearly an hour at the Bird's Nest, which were indeed an honor and a special privilege to visit such a fine stadium of outstanding architecture. We were told that each and every event held at Bird's Nest is always a full house.

Next we visited the Forbidden City. We spent nearly 3 hours in the Forbidden City, a city used by the great Emperors and Empresses of China. I marveled at this huge city built so long ago, the tremendous efforts that went in to the construction, the superb design and the meticulous detailed planning is monument of the rich knowledge the ancient Chinese possessed. Another rich experience that I shall cherish.

In the evening we went to see an aerobatics show performed by Chinese youth. The show held at Chao Yang Theater in Beijing kept me filled with wonder. Every item illustrated the flexibility, the agility and skill of young Chinese performers.

The visit to Tianjing

We left Beijing and headed to Tianjing on the 22 of August. However on the way we stopped at some interesting places. We stopped at Olympic Park and the famous Lenova Company. Lenova Company is a company famous for its electronic products, like laptops and accessories. We then visited the Great Wall of China, one of the Seven Wonders of the World. The details of the visit to Great Wall of China will be brought on another occasion. From the Great Wall we went to Tianjing.

The next day on the 23rd, we visited various places in Tianjing. We also had the opportunity to meet several high ranking officials of city. The main point of their talks were on how ready and prepared the entire country , and the various preparations the country had made for the all important games, the Olympics. We also visited the Olympic Stadium in Tianjing , the stadium where the Olympic women’s football final was held. Unfortunately the match was already over when we visited the stadium.

We then visited the sea port of Tianjing. It was a large port with many vessels already busy. The entire place was bursting with energy. From the port we proceeded to visit the city’s sewerage system. The system cannot be compared to the system we have in town.

24th was a rest day. I sent most of the day with my friends talking and discussing various experiences we shared together during the visit.

Special treatment for Journalists

All the 66 journalists completed their journeys fully satisfied due to the generous hospitality and the kind and friendly treatment afforded by the Chinese government and all the volunteer helpers. The friendly smiles of the volunteer helpers and the guides we met during my many visits will remain with me a long time. I have made many new friends, truly kind, warm hearted and loving friends. Form them as well as for me this was a nice and different experience.

All the participants of the trips expressed satisfaction and happiness over the hospitality received from China. I had the honor of meeting of the first secretary at the Chinese Embassy in Sri Lanka Gao Huvan. He told me that the journalists are accorded special honor in China. “Journalists are kings without a crown” he told me, no doubt, a Chinese saying.

How prepared were China for the Beijing Olympics

To say that entire China was ready and decorated for world’s greatest sporting event would be an understatement. The entire country was caught in ‘Olympic fever’ with each citizen expressing patriotic sentiments; it was one big happy Eid. According to many Beijing Olympics was the best Olympics ever, this is indicative of prepared the country was to hold this global sporting event.

What kind of people is Chinese?

Based on my experiences, I must say Chinese people are very patriotic. They are very warm, kind and friendly people, who are exemplary in welcoming their guests; a group of people with a special smile who are not only energetic and respectful but peaceful.

2. TrueBlue

TrueBlue Regular Member

what was the reason of your visit in china. i mean what magazines did these journalists write for?

3. TrueBlue

TrueBlue Regular Member

in my opinion the goverment and the people are sometimes different.