Worst Injury??

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Matt Ross, Jun 12, 2002.

1. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Hi all,

As we know badminton is a very physical sport which takes great pounding on the body especially the feet and legs. This in turn would cause many injuries as of the continuos agility and speed needed. So.....whats your worst injury you have got during a badminton match. Luckily i only manage to get small injuries ( like now, i have pulled a muscle at the back of my leg after a lunge. It keeps on tweeking), but surely there are people out there who have had bad injuries and nasty incidents?

Matt

2. adelina76

adelina76 Regular Member

Solicitor
    No biggie..but..

It isn't that huge..but I once tore my tricep ligament around the area between my right arm and my body..was out of action for 4 months...it happened right at the end of a badminton tournament..a very long tournament that stretched over the period of 2 days with about 6 hours of badminton each day...doh! :( Needless to say, It hurts and I don't think I can smash as hard as I used to anymore due to that injury :(

3. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Does off court injurys count?

well, my friend fractured his ankle while chasing after a bus... he's out cold for a month

and me, I've bumped my knee on a sliding door (the ones on vans). without realizing my injury, i went on playing a tourney that day for 4-5 hrs. During the 4-5 hrs... i felt it hurting, but i went on playing ignoring the pain. Now it's come bak to haunt me. If i didn't guess wrong, I tore some of the ligaments on the knee right under the knee cap. Think it's time for me to go see a chiropractor soon. i have so many injuries on me right now it's not funny @@... I'm guessing about 3-4 joints need fixing up sometime soon

#3 JChen99, Jun 12, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2002
  4. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    well, my friend tore his acl a little while ago...

5. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    I've had several injuries, some more serious than others but when u get them all at the same time, it simply can't be good.....

Dislocated shoulder, sprained ankle(s), damaged knee ligaments(Still dunno how), twisted knee(After my boot got caught on an astroturf football pitch) , damaged knee joints (from not bending my leg enough in landing after a jumpsmash), blisters on toes, broken toe nails.......

Got these in combinations together...... Never feels good.......

6. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
    Hmmm.....

I've been blessed with no real major injuries since I got serious with badminton, except for a strained croutch. ;)

7. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Hi all,

I mean this thread for injuries on court..Sorry that i was unclear at the start, my appologes

Matt

8. Slanter

Slanter Regular Member

I think that my main injuries come down to imperfect technique. I can sometimes be seen moving about the court a little clumsily, and the next step from that is making up for getting to the shuttle a bit late, etc. None of my injuries have ever been so bad as to prevent me playing for mor ethan a couple of weeks, but I have a number of different niggles which are always present.

My knees hurt, my right ankle aches when I play too many games in a day, my wrist aches when I really go for a big smash. I usually warm up and down well and have prevented anything really bad from happening, but these niggles do not fill me with confidence that I will be able to play into later life, one day the big one is coming.

I believe that due to the nature of badminton you are much more likely to injure yourself in or because of training than during a match. Oh, and my big toe hurts, but then I heard that most people are continually breaking toes thoughout their life and rarely go to hospital, so maybe that is the problem and it didn't heal as is should have.

9. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    ask your coach about the time someone broke their arm on court in belgium ;)

10. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    heh, tell me about it. I'm trying to convince myself that the big one isn't coming, though I have quite serious problems with my back and my knee at the moment.

11. Nic

Nic Regular Member

BCBF Member
    the worst injury is no injury. :eek:

it means you aint trying your best to play it the best. :D

12. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    UKPlayer,

What was meant by that. You know my coach? If you do then please PM to let me know who you are? If you do know my coach (stephen bish), what happened?

Matt

13. marshall

marshall Regular Member

Computer Security Manager
    I've been lucky so far, no serious injuries, but about 5 yrs ago I moved backward trying to get ahead of a clear, stumbled and sprained my left wrist medium-badly.
    The first aid guys at the tournament got me to the aid station and provided an ice bag, & I was OK. The only thing I wondered about was every one of them kept referring to my sprained *ankle* :-O! I kept replying "Yes, it's my left front ankle," but nobody seemed to get it.

14. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    Yeah I used to know him though haven't seen him for about 10 years. This guy at a tournament in Belgium came out to watch because his arm had only just healed from being broken. He was told not to pick up a racket. He hit the shuttle twice and it broke again. That's the most serious injury I've seen. I never saw him after that.

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    may be UkPlayer is your coach? ever wonder about that? :)

16. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    heh heh, now that would be funny :D

17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    back to topic.

injuries that i have seen on court:

- a guy who uses his shoulder joint to swing his racket dislocated his shoulder.
    - one guy back up, one move forwards, the back guy elbowed the head of the front guy, front guy gets a 1" split on his head. (i am the guy at the back)
    - guy and gal plays mixed, guy at full strength whacked the racket at the gal's ear. the gal probably lost some hearing, the guy probably lost a girlfriend.
    - a big guy was running off court, suddenly fainted and fell face first onto a chair on the court side. guy was weak and not very concious afterwards. eventually ambulance came and took him away, we have never seen him since (his wasn't a regular anyway)
    - guy (me) went to play squash. came back with a appendicitis (the worse kind even), and ended up in the hospital for two weeks.

surprisingly, i haven't seen that many sprained ankled or wrist.

18. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    I've sprained my right ankle 4 times from bad jump smash landings

19. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Hi all,

Sometimes i get an aching in my right knee. Its not persistant and comes and goes say every 3 months. Not surprising though as badminton IS one of the most physical sports, and seeing as i jump smash i lot, i probablt bring it on myself.

Matt

20. Chen Dan :D

Chen Dan :D Regular Member

KGB spy
    Ruptured Knee Ligaments as i mentioned before, going for a backhand shot (happened stupidly as i was undecided in choosing to go round the head or just a back hand). ''Oh yeah when it happens the knee makes a nice popping sound''

Things that you suffer are having to sit on the toilet with one leg extended, going up the stairs with the leg that is not injured first, going up stairs with your bum, slipping up in the bath tub, slipping up on crutches, acheing palms from crutches, people accidentally walking into your leg, people playing with your crutches, people stealing your crutches, people giving witch doctor advice to heal your leg, Oh yeah waiting outside the x-ray room with no bottoms on (with woman looking at you), waiting to see your leg attended to for 2 hours and many more. I tell you what, injuries are the strangest of times :p There is many more but i can't be botherd to write down ......