User Tag List

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Worst Injury??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not really something that happeend to me but me witnessing something happen so someone else...

it was a mixed doubles match, and the woman went in for a net shot pretty last so she had to lunge pretty hard to get to it, anyway jus managed to get to it but lost her balance, put her left arm out to stop herself from falling, instinctively ofc, but then crack, her arm BROKE!!!, i mean not at the elbow, her left forearm.... i mean totally sickening

Sorry to those who dislike this kinda thing Bad thing was she was playing for my club at the time in the 1st Mixed team (i dont play mixed, i was there for another match), and that was her out indefinately, havent seen her back at the club since, and this was over a year ago

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Singles match after a long day....very dehydrated and I cramped up in mid air. Not talking just one muscle...talking about calf, quad, and hamstring, all in one leg.

I try to stretch one muscle out and the opposing one cramped. It was nuts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

jumped, landed badly and my left leg slipped from the DUSTY floors and knee went into my center.. don't know if u can imagine it.its like a hamstring stretch but with my left leg bent in. anyways, i got shocking pains throughout the insides of my leg and i could only hobble. i think that's what happened, cuz i didn't really see myself and was in too much pain. the inside muscle was severly sprained and swelling occured. Chinese medicine is good for getting rid of swelling really soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down

dunno if this qualifies as a bad one or a rather funny one.

i was playing a doubles match and my opponent gave me a flick serve that kinda caught me and i was shifting back pretty hard then i realize the bird was going out... too late i was already moving back and i tripped up my feet so i fell backwards while trying to avoid the bird at the same time. didnt really work so i just fell flat on my back on the floor only to watch the bird sail land right on my stomach

the other three players were rolling on the floor laughing afterwards...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by mojoe
    dunno if this qualifies as a bad one or a rather funny one.

i was playing a doubles match and my opponent gave me a flick serve that kinda caught me and i was shifting back pretty hard then i realize the bird was going out... too late i was already moving back and i tripped up my feet so i fell backwards while trying to avoid the bird at the same time. didnt really work so i just fell flat on my back on the floor only to watch the bird sail land right on my stomach

the other three players were rolling on the floor laughing afterwards...
    LOL... its so funny cuz its so true...
    A similar thing happened to me while i was at the net. The return was high so my opponent smashed. In antcipation, i started to move run/hop back towards the center. Mid-step, i catch the smash on my forehead... i lose my balance and fall over, as though the smash knocked me over

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

jumped for a smash, but partner behind me ignored my call for the shot, took a swing, knock my racquet out of my hand and sending it bouncing on the floor a few times until it finally stopped about 20 ft away from me. O yes, I also got hit and had a bruised shoulder from his follow-through. Racquet is ok surprisingly, just some chips in the paintjob.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

There was a big guy in our club, and during a doubles play, he was at baseline and rushed from his forehand side to the other side to save a drive, after that, he run out of the court, my partner return a high and wide on the cornet, it would have fall outside the court, and when the big guy in such a hurry to jump back in, the birdie fall on his skull and his jump bring back the birdie to court perfectly. "a Kodak moment", my partner joked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As you can see by my name, I got tendinitis in my playing shoulder which lasted about 1 year (!) and was really painful. Had to get several cortisone shots, and quit playing for about 5 years. Only recently I started playing again. I still have the name, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Worst ever? hmm..........nothing bad, juz sprain my wrist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forgot my badminton trainers once, had to play in a pair of cross-trainers, turned my ankle over and was out for two months. ALWAYS WEAR SENSISBLE SHOES!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Worst:

Deep right corner playing singles, jumped back to return an attack clear, upon landing on my left leg my achilles tendon instantly snapped like an old rubber band. Severed right in two. I was playing a total stranger who just left me there... what an A$$H0L3! We had been the last two left in the gym, I had no change to make a call, no cell phone, so I somehow managed to hobble 300+ meters to my MANUAL TRANSMISSION car and DRIVE home, another 30 meters from the street to the apartment building, up 2 flights of stairs, and home. Taken to emergency by my then girlfriend, now wife , spent the night in ER, surgery first thing in the morning. 6 MONTHS before I could walk without any aid (crutches, cane). 1 Year+ to fully recover.

Not as bad but still bad:

5 months ago I twisted my left knee very badly, yep same leg as the achilles sever, and tore MCL ligaments and the miniscus in the left knee. I'm still recovering... still can't jump around, still can't play the way I want to play, and sometimes still in a lot of pain. Why me???

So bad it's funny:

Some time before I severed my achilles, I was playing doubles with friends. The friend I was partnered with had a particularly hard smash. During one rally, we were on the offensive with me at the front and him smashing away. Needless to say he powered one straight into the back-top of my skull at a distance of less than 3 feet. The shuttle struck me so hard it ricoheted almost 2 courts away. I'm good with pain but boy I could barely contain that one. Upon inspection, I had a bleeding lump on my head. My friends were in histerics. One of them even advised my partner to run away before I recovered - I was so angry I walked over to the next court and and taekwondo kicked the pole, bent it, and snapped the metal tension wire. Luckily the gym was empty, except for us four, otherwise I'm sure those poles and nets are quite costly. YOU CAN ALL STOP LAUGHING NOW . When I "recovered" we continued the game and the ba$tard$ continued to laugh about the incident. *Sigh* I had to laugh too... afterall, in retrospect, it WAS rather funny .

Best:

Umm... I'm still waiting for something really good to happen to me. After all that's happened to me so far, I figure I'm due for something rather FREAKING AWESOME... don't you??? Although, right now, I'd settle for my knee to just totally heal . Well, if anyone can top these, I'd love to hear it, so that I know I'm not a lone member of the "totally FUBAR badminton club".
    Last edited by timeless; 12-11-2002 at 09:44 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow timeless, those are hard to beat stories. I am still laughing about 2nd to the last one. Well, here are some timeless classic badminton moments in my brief life thus far:

unbelievable luck: tossing shuttle up to decide who goes first and landed pointing up 8 times in a roll.

funny: Jump smash but miss-hit and bird went off top of my ex-partner's head and into the other court only to have opponent intercept and smash it back to my partner's head AGAIN then I caught the shuttle w/ my hand. My ex-partner still brings that up everytime we see each other.

fun acrobatic act: My opponent went for a clear but threw the racquet along w/ the bird into the air. I caught the racquet, threw it back to him, hit a high clear back, and we continue the volley as if nothing happened.

worst: pretty happy this one didn't happen to me but I played with this guy once who was wearing an eye-patch. Stupid enough, I ask him about the eye and the story is that he was doing smashing drills with his partner back in Sweden and he got caught in the eye with the smash and popped his eye.

Well, that's about it, not that most of my badminton nights are "normal" anyway but these are some highlights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sad moment :
    A lady in our club played doubles lunged to the net to return shot, her left foot step on some jumper which was left next to the net pole, she slipped and felt forward with face down, broke her nose.

Happy moment :
    Met former girl friends from badminton and wife from goodminton.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Worst: seen a guy die from a heart attack while on court with me - serious! he was about 55 and had high-ish blood pressure. i didn't play for about a monthy afterwards from the shock

Best: I'm having some pretty good times at the moment - still waiting for something spectacular tho. I've had some close matches this year that i've won and been pretty chuffed about winning the final point.

Neil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Timeless i think first and foremost you are very fortunate to have hobbled such a far distance and also to come back to the court after a really severe injury.

Secondly it is amazing that after so many of your dangerous escapedes that post a grave danger to your health, your wife is still with you. You are truly lucky to have such a tolerant person.

Best of luck and i hope you dont get injured anymore. Statistically you have had yoru fair share of injuries. So hope you get your best ever moment soon. Have fun

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hehehe glad you enjoyed it jwu
    Your stories were quite amusing too. Especially picturing the whole double smash to your partners head episode .

Originally posted by jwu
    wow timeless, those are hard to beat stories. I am still laughing about 2nd to the last one. Well, here are some timeless classic badminton moments in my brief life thus far:

unbelievable luck: tossing shuttle up to decide who goes first and landed pointing up 8 times in a roll.

funny: Jump smash but miss-hit and bird went off top of my ex-partner's head and into the other court only to have opponent intercept and smash it back to my partner's head AGAIN then I caught the shuttle w/ my hand. My ex-partner still brings that up everytime we see each other.

fun acrobatic act: My opponent went for a clear but threw the racquet along w/ the bird into the air. I caught the racquet, threw it back to him, hit a high clear back, and we continue the volley as if nothing happened.

worst: pretty happy this one didn't happen to me but I played with this guy once who was wearing an eye-patch. Stupid enough, I ask him about the eye and the story is that he was doing smashing drills with his partner back in Sweden and he got caught in the eye with the smash and popped his eye.

Well, that's about it, not that most of my badminton nights are "normal" anyway but these are some highlights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I was able to hobble that far because my mind refused to accept the fact that my achilles had indeed severed. As a child, I had learned that once you severed your achilles tendon you could never walk again. My mind definately couldn't accept that. Luckily, medicinal practise has come a long way and an achilles tendon sever is by no means a permanent disability.

And my wife, then girlfriend, is indeed a very understanding and compassionate person. It was actually that very achilles injury that brought us even closer together as I needed her support more than ever. It's funny you mention it because it plays a rather integral part of our "story" *GRIN* .

As for a "best badminton moment", I'm an intermediate player, so if I could heal from my current knee injury and learn as much as I possibly can from a good coach, and just be able to PLAY PLAY PLAY, and ultimately achieve my long term badminton goals... I'll be a truly happy hobbler . Realistically, if I could just PLAY injury free, I'd be very happy. Thanks, I always try to have fun regardless .

Originally posted by Yogi
    Timeless i think first and foremost you are very fortunate to have hobbled such a far distance and also to come back to the court after a really severe injury.

Secondly it is amazing that after so many of your dangerous escapedes that post a grave danger to your health, your wife is still with you. You are truly lucky to have such a tolerant person.

Best of luck and i hope you dont get injured anymore. Statistically you have had yoru fair share of injuries. So hope you get your best ever moment soon. Have fun

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast