User Tag List

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Worst Injury??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I
    Last edited by timeless; 12-27-2002 at 08:04 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know if someone is trying to tell me but to add to my list of injuries, last week, I suffered a herniated disc at the 5th Lumbar of my spine while playing a leisurely game. Luckily one of the regulars I play with is a physiotherapist. It's almost fully healed now... I think.

I have seen so many people enjoy badminton well into their golden years. I'm beginning to wonder if my badminton career will even make it half way there. One more bad injury within the next few months and I'm calling a psychic hotline for a reading. I want to know how many months of badminton I have left! *LOL*

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by timeless
    I don't know if someone is trying to tell me but to add to my list of injuries, last week, I suffered a herniated disc at the 5th Lumbar of my spine while playing a leisurely game. Luckily one of the regulars I play with is a physiotherapist. It's almost fully healed now... I think.

I have seen so many people enjoy badminton well into their golden years. I'm beginning to wonder if my badminton career will even make it half way there. One more bad injury within the next few months and I'm calling a psychic hotline for a reading. I want to know how many months of badminton I have left! *LOL*
    I had the same thoughts when I was around your age. Poor technique coupled with endless playing/practice compounded the problem. I had tennis elbow, damaged rotator cuff, bad knees, shin splint, bad ankles. Playing a couple of games would literally ground me for the night and sometimes the next days as well.

Proper footgear helped a bit, proper racquet helped some more, fixing footwork and stroke fixed the problems completely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by badrad
    I had the same thoughts when I was around your age. Poor technique coupled with endless playing/practice compounded the problem. I had tennis elbow, damaged rotator cuff, bad knees, shin splint, bad ankles. Playing a couple of games would literally ground me for the night and sometimes the next days as well.

Proper footgear helped a bit, proper racquet helped some more, fixing footwork and stroke fixed the problems completely.
    Wow. I don't feel like the badminton gods are out to get me as much now hehe.

Proper footgear I think I have covered with my Asics Gel; definitely better than my previous pairs of crappy Yonex. A proper racquet? Unless there's a thread I can read about it, I'll have to ask you the details about that next time I see you at the club. Fixing footwork and stroke I definitely need but will hopefully start getting that worked on soon. Winex West Can helped me find a beginners-intermediate badminton course taught by Darryl Yung at Dunbar Community Centre! My wife and I have already signed up for it. I'm really excited about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Serious Badminton Injuries

hehe I'm just interesting in the worst badminton injuries anyone here may have suffered or seen caused from badminton.

The worst injury I've ever had was getting killed by a smash (And who said badminton was a wussy sport?!)

I was rallying with a partner against 1 guy. I tried to move back to get into the position to block the smash coming at me. I never managed to block it in time and it hit me. I slipped as I was moving backwards and fell backwards and hit my head on the edge of a bench. (My shoes were very worn out. The grip was bad, and the heel part of the shoe was almost no existant)

I laid on the floor holding my head and quivering and everything went black for a couple of seconds.

I was taken to the hospital with a concusion.

It was pretty funny in some sense that may partner had NO idea what happened. He thought I had missed the serve and was picking it up to serve it again. His eyes were on the opponent the whole time. All the while I was falling, he was actually in a ready position.

I couldn't see and I was curled in a ball, but I remembered someone was poking me with a racket. hahaha...

Everyone screamed and ran over and I had a very big lump on the side of my forehead. Doctor said I was lucky as it had missed that whatever artery or whatever.

My only comment was, "That must have been some smash." =)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Serious Badminton Injuries

Originally posted by tonten
    The worst injury I've ever had was getting killed by a smash (And who said badminton was a wussy sport?!)
    I am glad that you live and be able to tell the story.

Cheers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and also continuing with badminton

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

wow..

when you wrote "killed by a smash", i really took it literally. i thought somebody lost their life from a smash!

well, too am glad to see that you live to tell the story! i think your story tops it all.

the worst injury i have seen is somebody dislocated their shoulder. yes, he was a very arm oriented player.. another one is someone got a few stitches after colliding with his partner midair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suppose a wild smash might set off the fire alarm switch, causing water to be sprayed down and putting people who stayed there and continue to play under the threat of pnumonia and hence death?

glad all is well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The worst one I have seen is a smash directly into the eye

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well badminton is a safe game. Mortality rate is very low.
    There was one incident that happened ( not me ). Me and my friends was at this new court playing. The court is big. They have around 12 courts. It is a concrete court transformed from a old warehouse. Anyway while we were playing.. we heard a big thud and even felt the floor vibration. Thought some bowling ball dropped on the floor. Actually a guy slipped and fell on his head. He was unconcious for 2 minutes. And actually lay on the floor for almost 20mins. good thing there was no bleeding or whatsoever. He had a big contusion. This guy was off from badminton for about 2 weeks. Fortunately he dont have any brain damage.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. Sprain ankle sided line me for 2 weeks (the doctor said it should be 1-2 months, but I don't buy that... )

2. Partner's swing too fast, and the racket hit on my face. Lucky the racket missed my eyes and nose, just a little cut next to my nose. Was bleeding on the court, and everyone was scared as I was covering my face and blood just came out.

3. Bumped my knee into bench, while trying to make a save. A bruised knee kept me away from action for 1.5 months.

4. Saw a girl got hit on the face by her partner. The spot was right below her right eye, and left a little cut. Was not really bleeding, but to a girl, the most important thing is "will that leave a mark???" Feel a little bit sad for her, since she's a pretty girl and treated me very nicely. Felt happy for her, after the doc. said the little "mark" will be almost impossible to be noticed.
    Last edited by LazyBuddy; 11-09-2003 at 09:32 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i). I got hit in the eye when I was c.10 with an old slazenger aluminium while playing in a Church hall; my eye swelled so badly I couldn't see out of it for nearly two days.

ii). Torn rotator cuff, due to repeated overhead motion (also known as thrower's arm); couldn't lift a badminton racquet for years, and so far as I know, it's irreparable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I first started playing I twisted/sprained my ankles frequently. But luckily I've built those muscles up and haven't sprained either one in well over three years. I can actually avoid sprains or twists before they happen.

The worst injury though was when I tore my ACL at Junior Nationals. All I remember was going for an around-the-head shot, my knee when to the left (or somewhere over there) and my body tried to go to the middle of the court. And then I remember that my body was shaking semi-violently. I'm still not sure why to this day but I think it had something to do with adrenaline that was running through my body. Anyway after surgery and 5 months of excruciating rehab I was back on the court. I had to play with a Titanium brace for 2 years, but it really didn't hinder any movements, except at the beginning when I had to get used to it. But except for a scar all is now well.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by ruth1

The worst injury though was when I tore my ACL at Junior Nationals. All I remember was going for an around-the-head shot, my knee when to the left (or somewhere over there) and my body tried to go to the middle of the court. And then I remember that my body was shaking semi-violently. I'm still not sure why to this day but I think it had something to do with adrenaline that was running through my body. Anyway after surgery and 5 months of excruciating rehab I was back on the court. I had to play with a Titanium brace for 2 years, but it really didn't hinder any movements, except at the beginning when I had to get used to it. But except for a scar all is now well.
    Wow, sounds hurting.

Just wondering, is that because of old injuries built up, or not enough warm up (especially cold weather, etc)? Personally, I have some knee problems, and need some advice. Really don't want to go through this... Plus, getting old...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is why we have to do proper stretching and warm-ups before games. Its important to loosen the muscles. In event of injury or muscle tear , it won't be too serious. On preventive measures , IMHO it will be good if we wear proper body support for prevention.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Btw.. we can't do anything if we are hit on the head , face by our partner's racket. There is always a risks of injury we have to deal with if we are involve in the sport , any sports in that sense.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast