elbow trouble and elbow braces in the uk...

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by andrew_cherry, Jun 13, 2002.

1. andrew_cherry

andrew_cherry Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Hi everyone - i'm new here, i'm Andy, and i'm wondering if someone can help me out... I'm trying to find somewhere in the UK to buy a hinged elbow brace (having just been diagnosed as having joint hypermobility - my elbow bends too much!)

I can't find anywhere in the UK which sells hinged braces! Also - does anyone else out there suffer from this? I've not met anyone else - the only other people I know of with it are some test bowlers!

The odd thing is despite the damage it does to your tendons, it theoretically gives you slightly more racket head speed!

2. TDotSmAsHer

TDotSmAsHer Regular Member

Student Gr 11 in Sept.------- badminton player/ad
    The part just a bit above my elbow hurts sometimes.... I've been told that my elbow got hyper extended or something

3. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Hi Andy,

Good at round the head shots are you? Can you like twist your elbow on a backhand so you can actually play a forehand?
    I got something to ask but it wont be based on this thread, but has anyone seen an abidecstrous (or however you spell it) where they play with both hands?! You play a shot to their backhand and all they do is change the racket and play a forehand!!

Matt

4. andrew_cherry

Software Engineer
    Yeah - it's probably worth going to a physio to make sure - not knowing now could cause problems later - it's an interesting condition, and you can do things about it! Unfortunately it looks like i'm going to have to have an elbow brace imported from the states - they don't make sports ones in this country it seems. My doctor said that I might consider giving up racket sports for a year and concentrating on tendon development in the area... Yeah cheers! That's going to my chances in next years Uni squad a great deal of good...

Matt - sadly it doesn't bend that far - and yeah I have seen someone that changed hands - I don't think it really helped them though. I used to get points by serving to the changeover point - as they decided whether to take it on the forehand or the backand, or change hands, they lost the chance to attack and had to lift. Jump and smash from that one. Pity I can't do that now without having to scream in pain too... Ah well i'll get it sorted soon. Summer in the gym should do it.

5. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    well, i know a guy who is right handed, but he annihalted his right arm some how.. and he had to switch to left handed.... and now, he's better with his left hand then he was with his right!!

6. Californian

Californian Regular Member

Ambidextrous player

There was a good player who came to our gym on occasion who was predominantly right handed, but switched hands for all overheads to his left. He was very quick with it and had no problem with the footwork.

7. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Hi,

I saw it once with a social player playing and i couldn't believe my eyes. The opponent would play it to he backhand, and this player would throw the racket into his left hand and play a powerful clear to the back. THATS CHEATING! :) Surely though the players who do this can't be of any real standard.....can they?

Matt

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Andrew C

Probably a sports physiotherapist would be of more help in finding out the information you need on finding an elbow brace (or if it is even needed)

Do you have E-D syndrome?

9. andrew_cherry

Software Engineer
    Yeah i've already been to the physio - they couldn't find one in this country which was suitable for sport. I'm probably going to order one from the states. E-D syn drome? What's that - I have hyper-mobile joints, and my problem is elbow hyperextension. (And the other wrist and shoulder injuries that has caused because of subconscious posture change - but they're not major...) You sound like you know a bit about this Cheung?

10. TDotSmAsHer

TDotSmAsHer Regular Member

Student Gr 11 in Sept.------- badminton player/ad
    Cheung's a doctor! Hehe

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Andrew

This may interest you since you have problems with other joints.

http://www.ehlers-danlos.org/Info Sheets/Info Sheets.htm

sorry, I can't give you much more info. It's out of my field. In fact, i was a bit surprised I could recall the name so well since it's been a long time ago when I first heard of it........

12. andrew_cherry

Software Engineer
    Well, I think i've got it mild compared with that! I only have slight hypermobility in elbows, and less in the knee - very slight there. I don't have any of the other symptoms listed. Less than 5degrees in the elbow too. Just been putting a lot of strain on it lately with increased playing schedules.

Gym work on tendon and bicep strength, plus bracing it for a while, should sort the problem out... Got a kevlar/neoprene space-age brace coming from the states soon. Actually designed for racquet sportsmen with this condition! Hurrah! Still going to take a lot of strength training though, which is a pain because I was hoping to concentrate on lower body plyometrics this summer. Looks like that'll have to wait a few months...

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Well, it was just a thought:cool:

Thought you might have one of the milder variants.

14. andrew_cherry

Software Engineer
    Yeah - thanks for the thought! Always appreciated! Hopefully it'll be sorted by the start of the Uni season... 4 hours a day in the gym for 3 months should do it i hope!

15. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Hi,

So what actualy happens with this syndrome? Your arm extends, bends backwards more than ours can? to be honest, i;'ve never heard of this until you said a couple days back. Is it common, genetic?

Matt

16. andrew_cherry

Software Engineer
    It was a new one on me too until wednesday when i finally got a diagnosis on my arm after 6 months of shuttling round NHS doctors... To be honest i don't know how common it is. I know that Shoaib Akhtar and Muttiah Muralitharan have the same thing, from memory... I really would like to know more! Maybe Cheung has some more info?

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

6 months is not a long time. Sometimes is just a matter of finding somebody who can recall the name of th syndrome. i can assure you that the average GP is unlikely to remember the name.

check the websites for more info. i am being honest about not knowing much.

18. andrew_cherry

Software Engineer
    Oh yeah i know - i eventually gave up and went to the sports team physio at the Uni - which cost me, but i couldn't wait any longer. I've got a summer of training before squad trials to get back in to the Uni squad in october. Already missed this season through a selection of fun injuries. I wouldn't really expect a GP to know about that one. There's only so much you can remember, and i don't expect they see this too much! I've done a bit of web searching, and will do more... I'll post anything interesting I find, if people are interested....

19. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Andrew,

The best thing to do is go to www.google.com and do a search on there. Your bound to come up with something. Many, your arms would be like go-go gadget arms! [​IMG]

Anyway, when you find it out post it on here so we can have a read.

Matt [​IMG]

20. andrew_cherry

Software Engineer