Starting Crosses

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by airsteins, Sep 11, 2008.

1. airsteins

airsteins Regular Member

I use yonex flying clamps to string my rackets, which I think are great, paricularly on the crosses.

My question is when I have seen people re-string rackets, I notice that they start the crosses from the top.
    I've been thinking about this, and wonder why we don't start from the bottom?
    It would make more sense, partly because the bottom string (closest to the shaft) rarely gets used and is not really vital to be at a high tension, but the string at the top with then be the same tension as all the others (barring the tie off knot, which could be why?)

Just that when I string the first cross at the top, this string doesn't have another string for the flying clamp to grip onto. How can I overcome this to keep a good tension on the first string. Will it hold well just by clamping the string and using the mains to hold it at the tension?

Comments/answers very much appreciated.

2. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

The merit of top down vs throat up has been debated before. IMHO and I posted before, top down is for playability vs throat up is for durability. Yo Next recommend top down method till 2006. Start from 2007 catalog, it suggest throat up. There is no right way or wrong way of doing either way. Kwun even wrote up an article on stringing and suggest string cross from the middle. That is good too.
    Regarding using fly clamps to string the first 2 cross, my suggestion is to tension the first 2 strings with 1 pull with 1 extra lb added for both top down or throat up.

3. airsteins

airsteins Regular Member

Thanks Silent heart.

By pulling both strings when starting the mains, will this be suitable for ensuring that my starting knot is tight?
    I wont end up with a lose knot because I have not pulled the very first string on its own?

4. silentheart

From my experience, if you use any of the starting knots we mention in other posts, yes, it will ensure the starting knot sit good and tight on the grommet.
    If you use only 2 half hitch knots as starting knot, it often slip out and you need to do a second pull. So 3 half hitch knots will be a good option. But I like pro knot the best.

5. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

If you do "tie on" (that is, use a starting knot) I recommend pulling the first cross at least twice if you use a lock-out machine. This will ensure that the starting knot is cinched up as tight as possible and won't sink any further into the grommet once the first pull is complete. Also, I wouldn't recommend using the normal double half-hitch as a starting knot, as it doesn't stand up to "active" tension (as from the machine). I usually use a double-loop upside-down starting knot with a half hitch behind it to bulk it out.

My personal preference is to tie on with top-down patterns, as there's no way the top cross can then loosen due to a tie-off knot.

#5 Mark A, Sep 11, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  6. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    We come to the same conclusion.

I do triple or more loops plus one or two loops parallel to the anchor string, to bulk up the starting knot against the grommet.

7. ray_mond

ray_mond Regular Member

just out of curiosity, why dont we start from the middle for crosses? lower tension? or is the frame just not built to with stand the tensioning from the middle first?

has anyone tried doing this? im itching to try it, seems like an interesting way to string.. starting point?

8. silentheart

I tried 1 time before and the result is not bad. However, you need to figure out the 2 holes you need to start with first. Depend on racquet and pattern, you might run out of the string at the end.

9. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

If you have swivel clamps and nothing else then the 50/50 (that is, starting crosses in the middle) is impossible anyway; to do it you MUST have either a starting clamp or fly clamps (and, given the relative thinness of our string, the former is far more reliable).

This method is used in tennis to make sure the gut in the centre of the bed is the freshest, but I have never found it advantageous in badminton - to the stringer OR the player;).