Do I have to be a level 2 UKCC coach?

Discussion in 'Coaching Forum' started by doozeruk, Sep 11, 2008.

1. doozeruk

doozeruk Regular Member

Hi

I wonder if any body could help me with a difficult situation I believe I may have?

I am a qualified level 1 UKCC badminton coach and have for the last year been assisting an (old school) level 2 coach, along with one or two other 'helpers'. It was only last year that I passed and so I am eager to pass on my knowledge ( I have been playing badminton at club level for 20 years :eek: ). When I say assisting I mean that I do equally as much as our more qualified coach and usually more, perhaps because I still have lots of enthusiasum and fresh ideas, I love coaching the kids we have at our junior sessions :)

However we have only just satrted coaching again after our summer break and our level 2 coach has come back and said that he will not be able to help out until after Christmas because of an operation to his knee. All the kids have paid up their subscriptions and are eager to go.

What I need to know is whether I am still OK to coach these juniors without the level 2 coach, I remember something being mentioned in my course. Just me and the helpers, first aider included and all CRB checked, anyone know please?.......

....thank you in advance...very much

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

It depends what you mean by "have to".

Anyone can take a badminton session and give instruction. You do not require a qualification.

For that matter, anyone can set himself up as a medical practitioner and treat injuries or illness; you don't need to be a doctor, although you are not allowed to represent yourself as a doctor ("doctor" is a protected title). Curiously, the one exception to this is venereal disease, which only doctors may legally treat. Anyway...

If you want to represent yourself as a Badminton England coach, or if you want the protection of their professional indemnity insurance, then you would need a level 2 qualification. If you're happy to go without these things, then you can go independent -- just don't expect any funding or other help from BE.

However, some organisations will insist on a coaching qualification before employing you. It can also get complicated if you're operating in an affiliated club, because the club might worry about maintaining good relations with BE, especially if it has some special accreditation (club mark, premier club, MK hoop-jumping Ninja club, or whatever it's called).

#2 Gollum, Sep 11, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  3. doozeruk

doozeruk Regular Member

Thank you Gollum for your reply. Interesting about the venereal disease, not sure how you know that but good party talk......:eek:

That has put my mind at ease somewhat. You have now jogged my memory and I believe that while coaching under a level 2 coach, I too am insured but without him I am not, I guess that is almost what you are saying too.

The junior club where I am has run for many years without much fuss to be honest and up until two years ago nobody had CRB's, first aid or thought much about safety in general! Things have changed, mostly for the better I believe but of course with it comes a lot more work, but this makes you more mindful of course. We were very close to affiliating and also were going for the club mark, but like most things it came down to money and although we all volunteer the cost of the hall is substantial and at only £1.50 per child per night we only make enough to pay for the courts fullstop :(

So it looks like we are OK to carry on, albeit without the backing of BE, which to be honest do not provide me (or other coaches) with anything unless you send them money ;)

Thanks Gollum

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I know quite a few weird and wonderful things. ;) That one comes from my medical training.

Yes, I think that's right. Just be sure to discuss this first with anyone else involved in organising your sessions, and with any relevant people at the club. Provided you are open and honest about what you're planning, you should be fine.

5. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    You are ok to take the session although, if anyone does injure themselves you will not be covered by your insurance. A level 1 coach is only insured as an assistant, so if anything happens it could be bad for you if the people claim.

6. doozeruk

doozeruk Regular Member

OK thanks for that, thats very good info.

The club does have an insurance policy against liability etc., so perhaps this might cover with any accidents if they did occur?

7. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    surely the best thing to do is to tell anyone who is taking the training that they are liable themselves for any injuries sustained whilst under you tuition - preferably in writing from their paren or guardian.

I would be surprised in the club itself had insurance for this. It would make the membership fees pricey

8. doozeruk

doozeruk Regular Member

The club does have an insurance and I am pretty sure it covers problems arising with liability against myself and others. It is in place for the senior club but as the juniors are a spin off I imagine it would carry over, I will check this out....I am a committee member of the club so this wont be difficult.....

9. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Must be a pretty big club.

May I ask how many members you have, do you own or rent the playing facility, whether it covers you for playing matches in other venues and of course..........the premium?

10. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    If the club does have insurance and you're covered by it good luck with your sessions, and i hope you won't need the insurance.

11. doozeruk

doozeruk Regular Member

Not an over large club, less than 30 senior members, and no more than 16 juniors. We rent the courts, we have six available but only use 3 or 4 of them usually, not 100% sure on terms, I will check, but premium is not more than £60 I believe.

12. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Oh. Similar situation as the club I go to then. £60 is very reasonable for this then - to your knowledge has anyone ever made a claim against it?

13. doozeruk

doozeruk Regular Member

I have a committee meeting later this week (for team selection) I will ask the treasurer who holds the document to let me have a look, no one has ever made a claim in the 20 years I have been playing :)