Head light or head heavy rackets likely to cause tennis elbow?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by TRENTEND, Sep 12, 2008.

1. TRENTEND

TRENTEND Regular Member

Looking to replace my old MP88. Suffered from tennis elbow in recent years. The following two rackets have been recommened on this forum:

Armortec 900T (4U but head heavy)
    Nanospeed 8000 (3U but head light)

Which is likely to be best to prevent the tennis elbow coming back? Generally play doubles, but want something light with power.

2. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    Tennis elbow caused in badminton is more likely due to the tension being too high for you rather than the racket.

3. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Generally, head heavy racquets will stress the forearm and entire arm equally more than a head light racquet. However, people who use mostly their "arm" to play, and don't use pronation aka the so called "wrist snap" will damage their joints from overswinging with a head light racquet.

The causes of tennis elbow is probably due to too much vibration mostly due to high string tension, which doesn't negate some vibration, and will have more going up your arm.

So yeah, in general:

Too high string tension = more vibration = tennis elbow

Head Heavy racquet = more stress on entire arm due to heavier weight

Head light racquet = more stress on joints if your technique is not correct.

4. 77suns

77suns Regular Member

-
    Fast racket and stiff = more stress on upper arm due to trying to flex racket

5. gsloh

gsloh Regular Member

Also try getting a softer string at lower tension so that you get less vibration - egBG65 / 65Ti or 68ti. And get some thicker grips as well

You might also want to consider the Yonex Nanospeed 7700 with the vibration filter (or other brands with similar thing -eg APACS visible hollow), which could help ease discomfort.

6. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    If you go to the doctor with tennis elbow they will reccomend a larger grip.
    A bigger grip reduces pressure on the forearm no matter what racquet you use.
    So before changing your racquet or tension, add a few layers to your grip.
    Don't lower your string tension, this will make you try to play the shot harder to compensate for the lost power and will cause more injury.

7. Smash _Drop

Smash _Drop Regular Member

promotor
    I have just switched from at900t (head heavy) to ns8000 (headlight) and have found the results to be very bad... i strained/sprained my wrist and found my elbow was hurting a lot..I dont know exactly what this has been down to but i have a few ideas:

1: increase in string tension by 1/lb and change of string?
    2:headlight racket found myself trying to swing faster
    3:trying spectaculer counter attacking shots with wristy actions

thinking of going back to at900t....any thoughts guys?

8. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    Which string were you using before and now?

9. Smash _Drop

promotor
    was using bg80 before and now moved to bg68ti, so from hard feeling to soft feeling, i think it is more to do with the racket then the string....season just starting so this is a really bad time to get injured...any tips to speed up wrist recovery? been 19 days since i played have been resting it...swung racket today, felt ok but after 5 mins felt sore...have just been told that it was a very bad idea and need to wait few more days then start doing wrist excercises to rebuild the muscles

10. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    When you change to a new racket and string it takes time to adjust to the new ones so give it time. Also was the tension the same?

11. Smash _Drop

promotor
    1 lb difference in weight, with regards to strings...however the yonex dealer (and friend) did warn me that your elbow might hurt with this racket...:(

12. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Possible reasons.....

1) stiffer shaft sent more vibration up your arm, and was too hard for you to flex
    2) headlight, so you swung too fast
    3) not used to racquet so you miss the sweetspot, so vibration goes up your arm
    4) Trying too hard....?
    5) NS8000 vibrates too much for you....?

Those are all reasons why you might be getting hurt...

13. 77suns

77suns Regular Member

-
    hemmm.. you seem to have a fast arm swing but not a powerful wrist just like me(IMO). AT900 is too heavy head and NS8000 need a faster swing than you can manage (of couse both are stiff too):rolleyes:

any tips to speed up wrist recovery? --Do some serious stretching and plenty of rest

Tried back your AT900 but with a bigger grip as suggested so it will be more balance and let us know how you feel.

14. TRENTEND

TRENTEND Regular Member

Received my AT900T this morning - First impressions not very good. Feels VERY head heavy with much less manoeverability (more like a 2U then 4U!). I'll try a thicker grip on tonight and play a few "air shots" to see if that changes things. Unfortunately can't try hitting a shuttle for real as that will mark and prevent me from returning the racket should I decide to.

15. Smash _Drop

promotor
    i think you have given a good assessment of the possibilities but i think it will be difficult to narrow down the root cause of the problem...might just be easier to change rackets:(

16. MasterChief

MasterChief Regular Member

Student
    I have been using an even balanced racket until recently when i got an arc 10. I don't really use the arc 10 much though. i have slight symptoms of tennis elbow but i had it before i got the arc 10.

17. Smash _Drop

promotor
    were you ok when using the even balanced racket?

18. TRENTEND

TRENTEND Regular Member

Don't believe it!!

Armortec 900T arrived the other day (see earlier comment) - played a few practise swings in the house / nothing too strenuous - woke up this morning with bad tennis elbow!!

I think that's my badminton career over...

Anyone need a racket?...

19. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    Visit a doctor about your problem and see what they can do with it. Rest is your best option and also wearing a tennis elbow band will reduce injury.

20. Smash _Drop

promotor

from my experiance: NEVER SWING A RACKET ON ITS OWN WITHOUT HITTING A SHUTTLE IF YOU HAVE SHOULDER, ELBOW PROBLEMS...

I used to just practice my technique, especially the bankhand at home in the living room at it used to make make shoulder very sore.....recently tried the same and my elbow seemed to start to hurt (i am injured by the way-wrist +slight sore elbow, maybe not the wisest thing to do)