Many Changes In Store - BWF

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Oldhand, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    The Badminton World Federation says it has major developmental plans in store and, among other things, will fight the practice of tanking :rolleyes:

Well, a declaration of war is at least a beginning!

Here's the article from The Star, Malaysia :)
    ---------------------------------------

Olympics over but Borrie still a busy man
    Friday, September 12, 2008

KUALA LUMPUR: The Beijing Olympics are over but Australian Stuart Borrie has kept himself very busy as far as the administration of the Badminton World Federation (BWF) is concerned.

Borrie is the federation’s secretary general and he has assumed the roles played by Datuk Punch Gunalan, who went into retirement in June.

He expects some changes to take place from now until the next BWF’s election in May in a bid to further improve and promote the sport.

Some major decisions are expected to be made during the executive meeting in Lausanne (Oct 11) and the council meeting in Seoul (Dec 6).

“Currently, the BWF are preparing a review paper on the Beijing Olympics. Based on our feedback, they were our best Olympics.

“We had the best venue and the best support from the hosts,” said Borrie, who joined the BWF in January.

“There were not more than three official complaints made on the line judging. This was good. The representation from our members was more diverse.”

Borrie added that badminton would remain as an Olympic sport until the 2016 Games. In fact, it is expected to be one of the 25 core sports at the 2020 edition.

“There will be continuous reviews and ways to make the sport attractive to the fans and television audience,” he said.

Currently, the one big change that had [sic] taken place in the BWF was the selection of new heads for their working committees.

Other BWF Plans

> To host the Super Series Grand Finals this year and to introduce wild card entries.

> To review a decision to host the World Championships every year except in the Olympic year.

> Review of the BWF’s training centres in Sofia and Guangzhou. Looking at naming new centres.

> Bring in new faces at the headquarters - to have a balance [sic] international representation.

> To discuss whether there is a need to re-locate the BWF headquarters after the contract in Malaysia ends in July next year.

> To review the competition format for the Thomas-Uber Cup Finals.

> To decide on the use of the million dollar grant from the IOC in preparation for the 2012 London Olympics.

> To give more voice to the Athletes Commission.

2. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    IMHO, these portions hold promise: :)

3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Throwing away my 4 sens-Hmm..

..i was actually hoping and crossing my fingers that they (BWF with the new regime) would consider changing.......................................the scoring system back to the OSS...;) [​IMG]
    - Finally, they're going ahead with the SS Finale, after that botched up plan last yr. Wild card entries as in for the SS Finale??..

- Now, why did they ever change the WC competition from every 2 yrs (biennial) to annually??..

- If not mistaken, plan of opening those 2 new training centers has been brewing ever since BWF started their first international training center (in Saarbrücken, GER)??..

- I thought BWF already has gathered a multi-national set of representatives/officials in the headquarter?? At least from the latest news shared in BC..

- Need to relocate, again, next yr??...Seoul, South Korea in sight??..;)

- "Kahm'-sa-hahm-nee-dah"(thank you) to team Korea (TC team)...;)

- I like this 1 million grant given by the IOC. Hopefully, (whoever is in charge) will use the money wisely and bring us the same if not better online badminton coverage like we saw this yr's OG. Don't y'all agree???..:p;)

- No comment on the last agenda.

*Btw, thanks for sharing the news!:cool:

#3 ctjcad, Sep 14, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  4. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    i think it spell as:kom sam mi da....:p

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    my suggestion for #1 in the agenda:

- fix the damn website!

6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Agreed! "This site may harm your computer" sends an extremely bad message about the quality of an organisation.

Here's what Google thinks of the BWF site: http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?site=http://www.internationalbadminton.org/

7. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I Also Find it really slow......sometimes when looking up player profiles it doesn't even get there. Also the player profiles are sporadic, they should make it automatic that when a player gets an WBF player number the details are inputted into the database and a photo is uploaded.

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i second to that too.
    Any new badminton fans would be put off when they go try visiting the official badminton website. That website hasn't been fixed close to a year. That's apalling in my book.

9. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

hmm..look at uefa official websote and BWF website..
    so much difference!!!:mad::rolleyes: