Newbie from MY

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by hflee79, Sep 15, 2008.

1. hflee79

hflee79 Regular Member

Hi there badminton enthusiasts. I started playing badminton less than a year ago though I'm in my late 20s. Before that, soccer was my main sport but it started to be too demanding on me physically as we age :). I still follow the EPL though.

When I picked up badminton, it got me totally hooked. I just felt happy being able to hit the shuttle and got my adrenaline flowing. I play mainly doubles and right now I lose some 90% of all my games though it didn't bother me the least (neither does it to my partners who are all friends). I just enjoy the game regardless of the score but I do give it all I can in the games.

The other thing is the fact that love trying out different rackets and is lucky to be able to fund my own collection of rackets :) Sometimes I am embarassed though when the good players bring 1 random racket to play while I have a bagful of Yonexes, RSL, Apacs etc and I still play like crap! But I doubt it will stop me from trying different rackets and enjoying the different feel of each racket.

I play twice a week now with friends and colleagues though I'd love to play everyday, but just couldn't find sufficient friends that would do that :) If there are anyone out there in Penang looking for beginner players, give me a holler.

2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Welcome..^^

..to BCBF, hflee79!:)..It's always good to have a multi-sports enthusiast in here, esp. one that loves footie and baddy..Well, i must say, it's quite true about your scenario of people bringing a bagful load of rackets and playing with those who only bring 1 random racket. I guess it's all in the player/skills and not in the rackets, eh??..As for you looking for baddy partners in Penang, don't worry, we have a houseful of Penang-based-baddy-loving members in here. I'm sure if just a mention of Penang food is echoed, they'll all come out...
    Anyway, hope you'll enjoy & have fun in this forum!;):cool:

#2 ctjcad, Sep 15, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  3. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

yo man, welcome to the forum.
    yeah, like chris mentioned, there are loads of penang kaki here, though the problem in penang is that most people tend to play with their friends, so it's kinda hard to join another group unless you know someone.
    anyways, since you're already playing twice a week, i guess you don't have that problem.
    whereabouts do you play, by the way?

4. hflee79

hflee79 Regular Member

Thanks for the welcome. I have been reading BC forums for some time anonymously and have felt that it is a really good community where everyone is very happy to help.

ctjcad: Indeed it's all about the skills rather than equipment. I see myself more as a casual player and collector (of rackets) :D It's just like some kids who want the latest and coolest phones, consoles, pcs etc.. just in my case it's the rackets. I'm too old to be a kid though.... I do go to Phoenix, AZ a few times a year so I'm searching the forums for AZ players for a couple friendly games though it seems there are rather few. Most forumers are from CA. Are you a footy fan too?

dreamzz: That's true, most people prefer to play with their friends. Especially when some groups are more competitive, and some more casual. Due to my skill level and physical condition (getting old oy!), I tend to fit better in casual groups. On Tuesdays I play in St. Xavier's Air Itam and on Fridays in Chung Wah school in Green Lane (moving to a newly built school, Chung Wah in Sungai Nibong.

5. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

hi there, welcome to the forum!!
    have fun here:):):p
    may i know whats your favourite team in EPL?:D

6. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

For playing venue and bodies in AZ...

..you can go to the Places to Play->USA West sub-forum. There's another BC member with a screen-name of Quasimodo. Friendly guy & he's local there and i believe in charge of the AZ badminton website (sorry, forgot the link), so he'll probably can help you (even play with you). Anyway, good luck!:)

*There are many forumers from the U.S., but yes, i would assume most of the USA-based BCers reside in CA. Yes, i'm a footie fan, but more of the American footie fan. I do follow international and local football/soccer actions once in a while.;):cool:

7. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    Welcome to the forum

8. hflee79

hflee79 Regular Member

george@chongwei: The team that just beat ManU :D :D :D We've been supporting it in our family since my father.. and I sort of started supported the "family's" team though I just a small kid around during their golden age in the 80s.

ctjcad: It's a rare find to have footie lovers in US. I think the women's footie is more popular than the men. And to have you loving badminton too, you must already be a fairly unique american!

phandrew: Thanks!

9. hflee79

hflee79 Regular Member

george@chongwei: Thanks. There is only 1 team that beat ManU recently.... I've been a Liverpool fan since my whole family is a Liverpool fan. Sadly I'm still a baby when they dominated the 70/80s!

ctjcad: It's hard enough to find a footie fan in US, much less a footie + badminton fan! You must be one of those rare species....

phandrew: Thanks, I feel welcomed already

10. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    Enjoy Urself Here...and Gambateh In Improving Ur Skill...hehe

11. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Unique and rare species American???...

:p..maybe it's in my blood or in the dna??...:) :p;)

12. etudiant

etudiant Regular Member

hi there....a lot of different interst in playing sport arent we? im more like tennis player kind of guy...but im also ina's badminton fans....just cheering them when they about to play in tourneys in this forum.....honestly my knowledge in baddy not quite good compare to a lot of expert here....anyway welcome...enjoy here and keep postin 4 sure......

13. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    did i miss something??

before we start anything else.....
    please do provide;
    1. curry noodle as breakfast
    2. laksa noodle as lunch, then ais kacang as reducing some heat at Penang Road
    3. shall we stop at New Lane for dinner?? char-koey-teow, "hor chien", "sotong kangkung", "po-piah" ....
    4. err... dont miss my favourite "hokkien mee"

after some delight, we can continue :p:D:p:D

btw, HF Lee,
    welcome to BC.............:)