David Snider

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, Sep 16, 2008.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Greetings,

David Snider has finally defeated Andrew Dabeka.
    From Winnipeg Free Press: click here

====== * ====== start article ====== * ======

Badminton match special for Snider
    September 10 at 10:30 AM CDT

IT was an exhibition match like no other for local badminton player David Snider, Canada's 2008 men's singles champion, on Tuesday night.

On his home court at the Winnipeg Winter Club, the 20-year-old Winnipegger defeated former five-time national champion and 2008 Olympian Andrew Dabeka, 29, of Ottawa 21-19, 19-21, 21-19.

[​IMG]
    David Snider puts on a stellar exhibition before a strong home support group. (Boris Minkevich / Winnipeg Free Press)

Dabeka was in Winnipeg to host a high-performance camp for Manitoba's provincial team and agreed to play Snider as a training opportunity.

"I'm quite happy, there's lots of people who showed up and I think I played quite well. I've played him twice before; it's always gone to three games and this is the first time I won," Snider said in an interview after the match. He said there were about 250 people packed into the Winter Club's badminton hall.

"It was a good promotion for the sport and a great opportunity for me to play an athlete of his calibre. It really tests my mental focus against somebody who is very solid and who knows how to play against less-experienced players and exploit some of their weaknesses. It was just a really good test for me."

Snider, who was a finalist last month in the 2008 U.S. Open which Dabeka won, said Dabeka's court coverage was challenging for him.

"He doesn't take extreme risks so you have to really generate your points by hitting the bird around the court to get him off-balance and that's tough to do. You have to be really patient. It helped a lot to have such a strong home support group."

====== * ====== end article ====== * ======

Congratulations to David Snider !!! :):):)

Cheers... chris@ccc

2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Congrats..^^

..actually David Snider won some kind of Canadian championships prior to the U.S. Open.
    Btw, the U.S. Open was held in July; Snider lost to Martin Bille Larsen & Dabeka defeated Kevin Cordon (also covered here in BC); in the article, above, it's a typo as it mentions it was held last month (August).

3. quik_silver

quik_silver Regular Member

Analyst
    wow finally Canadian badminton player is bringing some light into Canada :)

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

David Snider was a Semi-Finalist at the USA Open in July 2008

ctjcad ... Yes, David Snider was a MS Semi-Finalist at the USA Open in July 2008.

Up to now, David Snider played mainly at Pan American Tournaments. However, he was part of Canadian Team at the TO 2008.

5. hansonlouphers

hansonlouphers Regular Member

college student
    just heard bout this player. he sounds GREAT, hehe..

umm . may i ask a question??

he's a MS Champion rite for Canada?

why he doesnt compete to the INA, JAPAN, CHINA MASTER Super Series, etc????

or is it just me who gets wrong.. just curious a bit

6. pramana

pramana Regular Member

He got to play in higher level tournaments in order to pop his credibility. His age is right, because usually the peak of professional player is around 25 years old.

7. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

He is still pretty young like 19/20 years of age if I remembered correctly. For sure we'll see his participation on the international circuit in the coming years.

8. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    David has a bigger potential than Dabeka.
    During Thomas Cup, I took Dabeka, Stefan and David to Djarum to spar with Wahyu, Rumbaka and Andre.
    David almost beat Rumbaka if he was not choked...great smash, fast footwork...

9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Speaking of great potential..^^

...here are some videos of David, a few of which were recorded at this yr's Canadian National Championships :http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=david+snider+badminton

we have a few of his clips at this yr's U.S. Open, but the videos are still in the editing mode in the studio (pending Daylightkiller's release;))...

10. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    Wah.. Snipper played badminton too ?

11. bprevoe

bprevoe Regular Member

Head Coach @ Mandarin BC
    didnt he loose to baxter? that was a bit dissapointing- i felt he wasnt trying; he wasnt playing as good as he was when he won th e'08 national against stephen

12. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

David Snider won his second Canadian National Badminton Championship

Winnipegger David Snider, 21, won his second Canadian national badminton championship last Sunday at Humber College in Toronto, beating Ontario's Joseph Rogers 21-17, 21-14.

He won his first national championship in 2008, which made the 18-year-old athlete the youngest player to do so. "He shocked everyone with his determination and exciting game style," said Manitoba Badminton Association acting executive director Ryan Giesbrecht. "David has extreme talent and will continue to go far in this sport."

For the last three years, Snider has been training and travelling internationally to various tournaments, even spending four months in Denmark to further his skills. Last year he finished in the round of 32 at the Commonwealth Games, round of 16 at the Pan Am Championships and third at the Atwater International Tournament in Vancouver.

Source: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/amateur/snider-wins-another-badminton-crown-115170154.html

13. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

David Snider wants to play at least 20 tournaments in a year...

Winnipegger David Snider, 21, wants to play at least 20 tournaments in a year to have a good shot for qualifying for the 2012 London Olympics.

Source: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/ou...-the-top-of-Canadian-badminton-116687989.html

David Snider lived in Denmark from late August until early December (2010), training at the country’s prestigious International Badminton Academy. While trying to break some bad old habits, his game regressed, producing some discouraging results in big events.

"My level of play took a hit as I was trying to change a lot of things in my game," he said. "So it was nice to get back on the horse and get back to my old level while implementing some new things (in Toronto)."

For the first time since revamping his game, Snider said he was able to push all the thoughts about his technique into the background and simply play the game with confidence.

"That’s a big challenge," Snider said. "It’s very easy to slip back into (old habits), but I found that by just relaxing the techniques and tactics I learned settle in quite well without me knowing it."

For an elite player like Snider, whose goal is represent Canada in the Olympics, the greatest challenge is finding the competition necessary to improve. That’s why he’s hoping his sabbatical in Europe — and his recent trip to the Commonwealth Games, where he finished in the round of 32 — will pay off.

"I hope that it will pay very large dividends," he said. "The struggle in the sport is being so far removed from Europe and Asia."

The qualification period for the London Games begins in May, and if Snider expects to make it he’ll need to commit to an intensive international schedule.

With Canada not guaranteed a spot in London, Snider will need to reach a reasonably high level in the world ranking to earn a trip to the Olympics.

"I haven’t put together a schedule yet," he said. "I want to play at least 20 tournaments in a year if I want a good shot."

14. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member