defensive shot in forehand corners: options

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Badmintan, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

Hello,

I would like to learn what are suggestions for playing a shot in forehand corner when the shuttle is lower than net height? (i.e. there's no chance to drive or smash or clear)

It happens a lot in matches. For example, opponent did a very good flick serve or push(placement) to the forehand corner. Or punch clear to your forehand corner, when you are trapped near the net.

I notice a lot of pros have trouble with this shot. Normally, but being forced to played this shot the defender usually lose the point, as the attacker is waiting for a smash or netkill.

For example in this clip:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=majwkB689gg&feature=related

Gade plays a straight drop or crosscourt drop and not the straight lift?

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Gade is playing a drive-drop shot (and quite a fast one at that; it's almost a flat half-smash).

You might like to read the page about drop shots from my singles tactics guide.

3. huynd

huynd Regular Member

IMHO if the shuttle is not too low (barely below net height) and not behind you, then you still have a lot of control of the rally.

A simple answer is a punch clear, or a drive. Your opponent, provided he is right handed, has to prepare physically (position on court) for this shot, while he may mentally expect a fast drop. If you can hide your intention well enough, then you have the advantage

If the shuttle is low, however, my favorite shot is still a drop, preferably a fast drop so it is difficult for your opponent to play a tight net shot. After the fast drop, prepare to sprint to the net but don't rush the net right away, since a flick shot would keep you flat footed. The next reply that I fear the most is a flick to my back hand corner. In this situation you really cannot play round the head, you must play a back hand shot. It is difficult to play a decent back hand in such a fast pace situation.