Ages for Children

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by RimaTomboy, Sep 20, 2008.

1. RimaTomboy

RimaTomboy New Member

Student
    So, I am planning to teach a young girl to play badminton. And Seriously, But I am not sure of what age to start her at. I want an age where she can understand but not when she's already interested in many other things. She is 3 right now, I'm not sure if that may be too early but I wanted to ask now so that I know when, because if I ask too late.. it may be too late... So please help! Thanks!

2. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

If you hear the stories of many of the top professional badminton players, they usually first held a badminton racquet at 3. Just let her swing it around for fun haha..
    If she starts at the age of around six, she'd be around the top regional or even national level by the time she's 15 or 16, if she is trained often.

3. RimaTomboy

RimaTomboy New Member

Student
    Re: hmm...

Well, I do want to start as early as possible, but I don't want to start when she doesn't really understand.. I guess I could just get her into it at age 3, but I have no idea about the raquets, i started when I was 7, so i got a normal size, but then that would mean i would most likely have to get a junior racket?

4. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Just take her out to the park every day to run, jump, skip, chase, throw, catch etc. Maybe rotate one of those kiddie racquets into the mix to swat a shuttle back and forth (in the park) every once in a while. The idea is to build up a base of movement skill and general athletic ability. There probably no need at that age for any formal or specialized badminton activity.

Once she's old enough for "real" badminton, these base abilities should help her progress more quickly through the basics.

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Maybe..

..our own kwun might give an insight or two??;)...After all, we all saw how he literally & daringly bestowed his Carbonex 21 to Brandon (who is now also same age as the young girl mentioned above) when he was less than 1 yr old...*i've gotta find that adorable picture of Brandon holding that racket; not sure about Justin (Brandon's little bro) though, as we haven't seen a pic of him holding a baddy racket before...:cool:
    ..do you mean just simply "holding" it or actually "swung" it around??..Brandon (kwun's son) first held a baddy racket when he was less than 1 yr old, IIRC. If properly trained, does that mean he'll be around the top regional or national player by say 10 or 11 yrs old??..:confused: :cool:
    *oh, click & check out kwun's profile. The pic is showing Brandon (don't know how old he was) holding a racket, already..:cool:

#5 ctjcad, Sep 21, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  6. toddster

toddster Regular Member

Grad. Student PE instructor
    sigh

HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!

who cares if she continues with badminton or some other sport. Success as a Junior athlete IS NOT a predictor of success as an adult.:eek:

Maybe I didn't understand your request, but are you seriously looking for advise in training a 3 year old in badminton? If I am wrong, please ignore my rant below.

At 3, have her just start throwing and catching. Seriously, if you are interested in "training" her to become a Professional athlete, train her in a sport where the athletes make some real money (golf, tennis, etc.).:crying:

Too late for what??? Seriously, if you push a CHILD too hard, they will run away from the sport as soon as they become an adult. Its called FUNdamentals for a reason.

Finally, I challenge you to look at your own motivations as to coaching an infant? Are you thinking that her accomplishments will be yours? Are you thinking that people will flock to your coaching abilities with their children?

Now I must admit that what I just posted seemed kind of harsh. I did not mean to make this a personal attack, but if you do not know anything about child development or Motor skill development, maybe you should seriously take some classes or read some books before you jump into something you know nothing about.

The best question a parent can ask their child about a competitive event is "did you have fun?" NOT "did you win?":crying:

Toddster

7. RimaTomboy

RimaTomboy New Member

Student
    Interesting Response... Me and some of my friends have a small area in LA County where we teach people badminton.. we just got these parents who want their child to play, as soon as possible, so personally I am not sure, because the youngest children we taught was at the age of 5, I am not really the "parent" but the parents say that the grandparents want their grandchild to start....so idk it has nothing to do with me.. but they expect her to be good at a young age.. but she's pretty interested so far... i mean ya.. i'm gonna try with simple excercises like stumblingfeet said, her parents/grandparents have pretty much already gotten her into holding a bat and playing with the shuttlecock.. so i'm gonna try doing that until she seems ready, maybe in 6 months - 2 years... but i learned at 5, but for me it is just a hobby. so ya...

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    You can get a 3 yr old to hold a racquet. Wether they can swing it is a moot point.

You need to wait to about 5 yrs old before the child has enough strength to swing the racquet to any proper degree.

9. toddster

toddster Regular Member

Grad. Student PE instructor
    Just out of curiosity, where is this? ha ha sorry, but I have been trying to bring the So Cal area together.

hmm, maybe my tone was wrong with my last post. Can anyone understand the higher ideals on my previous post? ha ha maybe once again I am living in my own world.

Take care all,
    Toddster

10. jrmanu

jrmanu Regular Member

Ill help you

ill tell you a little about how to being up a player this advice was given to me by some of my coaches. Let her play at the age of three let her hit and all.Make her get the intrest like after u play she still wants to play that type of intrest.then slowly inprove her stokes.who ever who playes more at that age till about 9 will be betta then if you let her play often then she will develop skills by her self

11. RimaTomboy

RimaTomboy New Member

Student
    Well, it's kinda a *Private Thiing* I have my own badminton court in my backyard and some rooms in my home counts as equipment area, records, etc.