G'day from W.A. (North of Perth anyway)

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by gingermeggs, Sep 21, 2008.

1. gingermeggs

gingermeggs Regular Member

To all the wonderful members of BC a big good day to you all. I'm a new member to the forums, but I have been playing badminton for a couple of years now. I come from Geraldton, 4 hours drive north of Perth in Australia(West Coast), and have fun playing although I still have plenty of room for improvement :eek: .

Hope not to make too much of an idiot out of myself here :p

2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Welcome..^^

..to BCBF, gingermeggs!:)..Glad to have another baddy enthusiast from the land down under. So, tell us a bit more about baddy life and environment in your part of the area?? Many baddy enthusiasts as yourself?? How do you go about purchasing/acquiring baddy goodies??..And last, what brought you here??..Anyway, absorb as much as you can from this forum and do enjoy your time!;):cool:
    Btw, what is or where is W.A.??..:confused:.................oh, never mind, it's Western Australia>>>>doh!!:p

#2 ctjcad, Sep 21, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  3. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    Welcome to the forum. That makes one more person from Australia.

4. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

welcome! good to see another individual from the country, especially, playing badminton, if you get what i mean.

5. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

welcome to the forum!

6. gingermeggs

Now for answers

- Yes we have a fairly strong membership for baddy here, 100 play pennants, I know at least another 60 who play casually plus those in the organised day comps and then the kids who also play, we calculated once that there was anywhere between 350-500 people playing regularly in town plus many others who play irregularly. This is with a population of 33000 in town. It helps having a dedicated badminton centre of course.

And in the last two years we held the Ede Clendinnin Trophy and the CP Maddern trophy in town, that may make more sense to the dedicated enthusiasts of Australia and New Zealand.

- Two of the sports stores in town actually sell badminton equipment, and some are able to purchase racquets and other equipment through the badminton centre plus we have a member of the badminton association here who restrings some of the racquets in town.

- Why did I come here? Never knew there was a dedicated baddy forum, now I found it, why not join, it could be helpful to learn some things, especially from those more experienced neighbours in the north(Asia), the more information that can be absorbed the more we learn. And yes W.A. is that barren piece of real estate on the western side of Terra Australis (Land Down Under).

Yeah those city folks certainly think they own the joint :p

7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Excellent..^^

..thanks for sharing a bit of the baddy life in your area-:cool:
    *Please share and pass around words of this small but growing forum to your baddy friends!:)

8. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

thats not my point hahah. its just good to see more people playing it. i think i may know some immatures from geraldton who think badminton is piss easy.

9. gingermeggs

No, I still miss too many shots for my liking to say it's easy, and I didn't think that was your point, but I like to take pot shots at the city dwellers just for the hell of it occasionally, livens up the joint a bit when there's a some feeling in the room ;).

Unfortunately I did play for a year in my school days but turned to basketball for a few years and then went deep bush for ages, but returned to civilisation and a mate reintroduced me to baddy a couple of years ago, now in my late 20's so I have well and truly gone past that immature stage as well ;)

I will try and let some people know about this place, some others from around here could lend their experiences as well, thanks

10. badwally

badwally Regular Member

Computer Programmer
    Welcome gingermeggs. You have come to the right place if you are a badminton enthusiast like us all. You will find many things in this forum to entertain and enlighten you both badminton related and not. If you are ever in Canberra and would like a game or two PM me and I will see what I can organise for you..

11. badwally

badwally Regular Member

Computer Programmer
    BTW you may want to say hi to pussiii999. He is also a new member from Perth.

12. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    Welcome to the forum

13. gingermeggs

To be honest, I love this game. I have made a lot of friends in this town through the badminton club here and continue to improve all the time. I still make an awful lot of bad shots, but I have hit some doozies too, shots that have left damn good players perplexed as to how I could have hit it, to be honest I'd like to know the answer to it myself sometimes.

Geraldton is the place where I come from and it's 420 kms north of Perth along the coast. So it's not as simple as a casual drive down and back, but I do get down to Perth occasionally but the last couple of times I wouldn't have had the time organise to play any games, which was a shame, hopefully I could do so in future. As to playing games when I'd make it to another of the state capitals, I'd gladly take up the offer, if the occasion arose.

I'm glad to have got such a warm welcome, thankyou