Confused Stringing! please help!

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by troy_0907, Sep 21, 2008.

1. troy_0907

troy_0907 Regular Member

I just received this racket from mybadmintonstore. They did a great job in packing and fast shipping. However, i am confused with the stringing. With your experiences, is there any mistake with the stringing. i had draw a red line where there is a missing line on the cross. Thank you very much for your time!

Attached Files:

2. Terraglow

Terraglow Regular Member

Students
    There is no prob with it.
    it is just a style made by the stringer..

3. troy_0907

troy_0907 Regular Member

Should it have the red line?
    This is a picture from yonex.

Attached Files:

• b-3.png
      b-3.png
      File size:
      36.3 KB
      Views:
  4. Terraglow

Terraglow Regular Member

Students
    Supposed to be.
    Some stringer leave that red line blank.
    i dont know why also.

But it makes no difference in your game.

5. wilson_ku

wilson_ku Regular Member

i leave the string empty also its faster and makes no difference

6. troy_0907

troy_0907 Regular Member

Thank you all for answering my question. i just received the feedback from the store. They did intended to do so. So lets try it. But it just looks a bit funny to me!
    Troy

7. singchaii

singchaii Regular Member

Car Technician
    I had try to strung my racket once without strung the part at the red line. mean jump 1 line. The sound will getting sharper and louder.. But the sound irritated me and I re-strung back the whole racket without jumping that red line.

By the way, can share how the badminton store pack the racket when doing shipping? cause I going to sent 2 racket from KL to London. Still thinking how to pack it to avoid they spoiled my racket.

8. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

1) this is a pretty common string pattern from Asian shop.
    2) It makes sweet spot smaller and highter (by 1 string)
    3) it save string for the shop.
    4) When you buy from Asian shop next time, make sure you tell them you want Yonex Standard pattern.
    5) Just play until string break and get it strung the way you want it.

9. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    With the one cross skipped, the overall tension of the racket is lower compared to when the cross is present.

With one cross skipped, it could indirectly open a hole if a player does a bad mis-hit and it breaks there....!! opps!!!!

10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    A row of missing string for a Badminton racket

troy_0907 ... It is good that this subject is being discussed for Badminton racket stringing. :):):)

Some Tennis players swear that with that row of missing string in their Tennis rackets, it feels better when the ball is being hit on the string bed. I have requests from Tennis players, who also play Badminton, to string their Badminton rackets with that row of missing string.

I have experimented with this type of stringing with my own Badminton rackets, but I have found no difference at all.

But speaking as a stringer, it is harder to string it this way. Why? Because Badminton clamps are made for clamping 2 strings next to each other. So for obtaining the required tension for the last row of string, I have to manually pull that last string to that tension. And it is not easy to do it, if higher tension stringing is required.

#10 chris-ccc, Sep 22, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  11. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Hi Chris, if there is a well, there is a way. if there is a way, I think you will at lease try it. Right?
    I am assuming you are talking about using flying clamps for cross. If so, I will suggest you to use starting pin method. After you tension the first throat cross, insert the starting pin into the skipped grommet. Pull the starting pin string tight and clamp onto the starting pin and first cross. Then you just finish the rest of the cross just like regular cross.

Anyway, I don't like to use this string pattern because
    1) it is not yy standard pattern.
    2) it takes me out of my comfort zone.
    3) makes no noticeable difference.

12. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i dont use that pattern either because LD doesn't use it:D:D:lol

oops, lcw and TH don't use that pattern either:p

13. malayali

malayali Regular Member

namaskaaram..
    It is "old school" stringing method and cant imagine why it would make a difference! certainly wont harm the racket, though.

14. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    To use the 'Starting Pin' method

silentheart ... I have never tried the 'Starting Pin' method before. Thank you for suggesting it.

I will try doing it the next time when I get a request for stringing a racket with that row of missing string.

:):):)

15. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    The missing cross string at the throat end was actually advocated by Chinese players in the old days when tensions were typically 16 to 19 lbs. The logic was that it would ensure that the tightest part of the stringbed tension would stay at the upper part of the frame, relative to the lower part, and this would give it more power. Yes, it works with low tensions. It is not very different with today's stringing pattern at higher tensions between starting the crosses with a starting knot at the top vs starting at the throat end. Starting the crosses at the top, although not in line with Yonex's new pattern, will give the upper part of the stringbed a stiffer stringbed vs the lower part. In other words the sweetspot (upper part) must always have a relatively tighter stringbed than the lower part (throat part).
    As a matter of fact you can easily try this A/B comparison test/evaluation simply by stringing one racquet with the cross starting from the top vs another from the throat. To be fair, do not lower tension for the first cross from the top, because every lb of tension less here relative to the remaining crosses means less punch.

16. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Re your last para you can "kill 2 birds" at the same time simply by using 2-pc stringing, stringing the mains first and then the crosses starting the first cross at the top (never at the throat end) and using a starting knot. The rule of a tighter upper vs lower stringbed is worth its weight in gold to follow. In this regard I think Yonex's new pattern is more from cutting down warranty claims from today's higher tensions than to promote maximum playability of the stringbed stiffness distribution.

17. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Are you using only flying clamps as well as starting the crosses from the top? If that is the case then you may want to increase the second bottom cross tension by say 15% and finish off the last cross with hand pulling as tight as possible. The key is to ensure the lower part of the stringbed is less stiff than the upper part, so hand-pulling is no big fuss.
    But with today's higher tensions and stringing the crosses from the top, the missing bottom (second last cross) string is quite redundant.

18. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

that's quite common in my region ....... we called it "Pelatda-style"
    I post in ASTEC thread .... http://badmintoncentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=609165&postcount=138

19. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

20. troy_0907

troy_0907 Regular Member

Hi all, i dont know that we are discussing this style of stringing. I havent try it yet. But i will post common after using it. I dont really know what is the difference. but it does look fun to me!