Blisters

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by tonten, Jun 17, 2002.

1. tonten

tonten Regular Member

Student
    Hi

I was wondering how people get blisters. I have a friend (Let's say John) who always get a blister on his thumb when he plays.

I know someone else who always gets a blister on his hand whenever he plays too, but I think it is because he is holding the raquet too hard

Sometimes though, maybe once a month, I can feel a blister developing on my forefinger after I finish playing. But, it never goes full blown and the pain disappears after a day.

2. Californian

Californian Regular Member

Blisters develop from a combination of pressure and friction on an area that is not used to it. Normally, a callous will eventually form there and it is no longer a problem.

I recently developed a blister just below my little finger from a combination of increased playing and the tacky grip material. To continue playing, I put a soft patch over it and wore a racquetball glove for the next couple of times. The new skin came in tougher, so it is no longer a problem.

3. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    When i was in Bangkok, i was sitting by the side of the court nursing my blistered toe, which was bleeding quite badly. That was coz my right shoe was too lose and the sock was already crusty....

Anyway, the blisters i'm wondering about is those on your palm. Where are they?

My friend who represents Wales at what U-17 level i think, and i were sitting on the side of the cour bored as heck waiting for our next match were comparing where our blisters were. Her blister was on, i don't u what u call it but the bit below here fore finger on her left hand, coz shes left handed. Mine is under the ring finger on my right hand.......

If u guys have blisters on your hand, where are they??

4. tonten

tonten Regular Member

Student
    I haven't gotten a blister on my finger for a year now

Everytime time I play badminton, I come close to getting a blister though. The spot feels like it will turn into a blister anytime soon, but never does.

Like today, when I was playing badminton. During the game, I felt like I was going to develop a blister, but after playing for another hour, it never turned into a blister. I think maybe that when I start feeling that I am developing a blister, I change how I hold my racket or don't hold it as tight.

This usually happens right below my thumb

I have a friend who just started playing badminton 3 weeks ago, and he has been getting blisters like crazy. He has 3 on his palm right now, and it's been there for 2 weeks (Because he plays alot and won't let them heal. Does anyone know if this is bad?)

I find that when I get blisters, bandages help alot. Not the cotten/fabric type or the clear ones, but regular plastic ones. After I apply a bandage, I do not feel the blister anymore and can continuing playing badminton without even noticing a blister is there. On the otherhand, bandages never work for any of my friends. They still feel blister and the pain of a blister if they played with a bandaged applied to their blisters.

5. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
    G'day,

This might sound really crazy here, but when I first started playing badminton I had a real problem with blisters on all of my fingers and palm.

I tried tapes, bandages and so on and it just annoyed the heck out of me as I had to constantly change them.

A simple, but kinda odd solution was found though, which helped heaps. I started to wear my mountain bike glove - the full finger type- when the blisters were in really bad shape. It allowed the blister to heal over time, although I looked really odd on the court! Good thing I wasn't playing anything serious back then as my understanding is the rules doesn't allow gloves to be worn on court.

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    My blisters turn up when playing after a long break. Usually on the thumb. No blisters now for a long time (because of playing regular badminton
    :p

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    when i was really young and just started playing racket sports, i remember i used to have blisters on the palm just below the joint with the fingers. but since then, i don't remember getting any blisters anymore. the skin around the contact points on my hand has been naturally strengthened. i guess it is the body's natural way to adapt to the environment.

i do, however, get blisters on my feet. on the side of the big toe. there is constantly a very thick patch of dead skin with tens of layers of dried blisters formed week after week. it is quite disgusting.

every once in a while, i will use a sharp knife and shave off the thick dead skin. it feels uncomfortable at first, but after a few hours, it will be ok. the best time to do this shaving is right after a shower when the skin is nice and soft.

8. |R|S

|R|S Regular Member

Student
    hmmm mine is on the bottom of my middle finger...
    between the finger and the palm part...

9. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Hi,

I have had no blisters on my hand (he says as he touches wood) but like Kwun, i have it near my big toe. You have like a big chunk of skin below where your foot is, and for 2 years now i have had a thick layer of dead skin of both feet, also around the back. These were gained by the crappy old £14 hi-tec shoes. I then went to the "20 eliminator shoes (or exterminator, i cant remember) and it sees the skin is coming off and my foot it coming back to normal. And i'll second that, it is a revolting sight.

Matt

10. TDotSmAsHer

TDotSmAsHer Regular Member

Student Gr 11 in Sept.------- badminton player/ad
    OMG KWUN>. you have that too? LOl.. so do i! Before the side of my thumb would blister and hurt... but now skin thickened.. and I'm OK

The side of my big toes... YES theres nasty layers of dead skin.. I try taking it all off once in awhile.. my skin looks uneven sorta.... and kidna a hole in it.. lol.. but new dead skin would form on top.. and side of big toe would hurt after playing badminton.. (After getting dead skin off) until it forms another layer of dead skin! Totally gross....

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i think a lot of people get that too. i have strange feet and the shoes that i have right now is the best one i have when it come to blisters.

oh, and this time, i won't post a pic of that gross looking blister, for you guys' sake. :)

12. Nic

Nic Regular Member

BCBF Member
    There are some dead skin remover cream/sand pad/whatever you call in the market. It will help remove the built-up dead skin. I am not sure what those call, but there are quite a lot of way to remove dead skin nowadays.

13. Nic

Nic Regular Member

BCBF Member
    NO, PLEASE DONT! thanks, lol

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I was wondering who would be first with the picture..................

15. tonten

tonten Regular Member

Student
    omg Kwun, u too?

I have to cut it off 3 times a year (The dead skin under the toe on my left foot)

My right foot is fine.

I asked my doctor if there was anything wrong with it, and he just said to use a moisterizer.

16. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    New Therapy for removing dead skin?

well, i heard from my Biology teacher that u can actually remove ALL the dead skin without harming the ones that are still alive... by using enzymes and some other stuff... hehe... just watch everyone's feet wear down 1-2 sizes :p

17. Jan_BE

Jan_BE Regular Member

IT Support Desk
    Today i was playing in the garden with my sister, just to blow of stress from our exams.
    I haven't played in a month and after about 20 minutes I got a blister on my racquethand.

Has this happend to anyone else and how can I prevent it from happening again?

thanks
    Jan

18. J_M_V

J_M_V Regular Member

Sales
    Where did you get the blister (fingers or palm)? And is your grip in good condition? I usually get blisters to fingers if I don't replace the grip early enough, especially if I haven't played for some time.

19. Jan_BE

Jan_BE Regular Member

IT Support Desk
    Just on my middle finger and the grip was fresh, had not played with it yet

20. loverush

loverush Regular Member

One time I got a blister because of bad grip. The grip was a brand I never used before it became a little sticky. Because of the slight stickyness, the rubbing and high friction created a blister for me.
    If its not the overgrip, than it may be that your gripping racket too hard.