To increase strength

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Tammy, Jun 18, 2002.

1. Tammy

Tammy Regular Member

I've been using only 3u racquets. My arms are weak and I am doing some weight training to increase my strength. Besides weight training, would practicing with a 2u, head heavy, very stiff racquet help to increase strength? I'd appreciate any suggestions.

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
  3. jsunsun

jsunsun Regular Member

i think the best way to increase strengh is to play LOTS! i know i have trouble displining myself to do weights, or swing a squash racquet around.

4. adelina76

adelina76 Regular Member

Solicitor
    It's all in the mind...

Hi Tammy..it's all good focussing on increasing your physical strength, but sometimes you may find that increasing your mental strength when executing badminton strokes are equally as important...so...do what I do....use the power of concentration and visualisation. For example, in my case, whenever I want to hit a powerful clear, I picture myself being the heroine in Matrix and standing in front of my ex-boyfriend (particularly in the scene where she jumps up in the air and pause in that spectacular martial arts stance)..and then as I hit the shuttle to clear it, I picture my myself going WHAM!!! Big kick to ex-boyfriend's face, sending him flying.. Now try and see if that works for you..

*looks around at the others*...What?! It works!..hehe..Be afraid, be very afraid..

5. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
    Adelina is your ex boyfriend Hugo Weaving?!? :p

6. adelina76

adelina76 Regular Member

Solicitor
    Actually..

Actually it was keanu Reeves..why do you ask? hehe..who's Hugo Weaving anyway?

7. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Keanu Reeves hey....? ;)

Hugo Weaving was Agent Smith. The big bad guy. Can't belive you don't know your own kind - he's an ex-Kiwi!

Whoever it was - poor ex-boyfriend coping a kick from Adelina with high heels on. Must be scarred for life! :rolleyes:

8. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    You might want to check this out... ;)

9. ayl

ayl Regular Member

G'day Mag,

Where did you dig that page from??? Good one! :)

10. adelina76

adelina76 Regular Member

Solicitor
    gee, didn't realise he's an ex-kiwi

Hehe..I normally would recognise most kiwis..but since Russel Crowe been stolen by the Aussies and being claimed as one of theirs..I get confused easily these days.. *innocent look* :)

thanks Mag for posting that website..now I know how he looks like..oh that's right, he played the chief Elf in LOTR :)

11. GF_Flex

GF_Flex Regular Member

IT
    All about Technique

I think that u don't have strong arms with fat muscles, its a lot to do with technique, once u have the skills then u should be fine. Just work with ur own body and pace until u max the skills together.

good luck!

12. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    One word: Practise

13. wira

wira Regular Member

adelina, thank you for your suggestion of using the power of visualisation.
    i tried it and it really works! similar to your case, everytime i'm about to smash
    i imagine my ex-girlfriend's face appearing on the shirt of my opponent and
    extra energy suddenly appears to provide me with tremendous smashing
    power.

14. Tammy

Tammy Regular Member

Thank you for all your advice. I totally agree with you all. My only problem is there's no one I'd hate so much that would make me smash or clear harder :) I have to work on finding such a person, probably playing with a cheater :) All my friends are nice. Some might be annoying some time but they are good friends.

OK then ... some weight traing, mental visualization/concentration, and practice, practice and ... practice.

Thanks again!

15. boyboy

boyboy Regular Member

Student
    Anyone uses the "golf trainer" to increase their strength? Those who do play golf knows there's such a thing. The handle has "golf grips" on but still you can grip it like a badminton racket. Do couple of swings with that really increases ur wrist and ur arms strength. Talk about MP100 being head heavy.. this is even heavier.

16. chrisgin

chrisgin Regular Member

Analyst/Programmer
    I've found that doing exercises to build up the muscles in my forearm helps a lot. I've always had problems clearing the shuttle from one end to the other, especially towards the end of a match when my arms would get tired, so I decided to try strengthening them.

What I do is I load my sports bag up with telephone books and basically do both forehand and backhand exercises while holding the bag (just rotatinging my hands, not doing any arm movements!). I usually do this while watching tv, resting my forearm on the arm of the sofa with my hand holding the bag. It's taken a few months but now I really feel the difference. Clearing and smashing takes less effort than before and I get better results!

I'm not sure if this would help people with already strong arms, but being a male of small build it's helped me heaps, and I would imagine it would help most females as well. Of course you have to have the correct hitting technique to begin with!

Chris