NS 5000 vs NS 4500 ???

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Paritos, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Paritos

Paritos Regular Member

Student
    The Yonex NS 5K got discontinued, I wondered if it's successor had similar specs compared to it (flex, weight, lenght, etc.)

Is it better or worse, or about the same value for the buck ?

Thanks for your answers.

2. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    You can still get NS5000 even if it is discontinued.

3. Paritos

Paritos Regular Member

Student
    I want comparisons, I might wanna change and just wanna know what are the differences between the two.

4. Smash _Drop

Smash _Drop Regular Member

promotor
    interesting....anyone out there with a comparison as i am wanting to purchase a ns4500 and was once offered a ns5000 to buy...supposedly a very good racket, one guy at my club bought 3 of them another bought 2 (due to them being discontinued in the UK)

5. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    IMO NS5000 isn't worth it's price. There are better rackets out there at the same price from other brands.

6. Smash _Drop

Smash _Drop Regular Member

promotor
    in england we have a much more limited choice of racket brands, compared to countries based in the asian continent. plus stringing is very expensive as well. Online retailers are your best bet for rackets and they offer good deals like a free restring and grip, mainley on yonex and if you buy more items you get more of a discount, sometimes this works out alot better then buying a so called cheaper alternative which you then have to have restrung/regripped:eek:

7. Nanospeeder

Nanospeeder Regular Member

Grad student
    Ns5000

phandrew is right, NS5000 is not a bang for the money racquet. I would say it's an average racquet, with moderate amount of technology incorporated into it, namely, the fullrene shaft, iso head and the ubiquitous T-joint.

Just spend a bit more and get NS9000 if possible, your on-court performance will thank you.

Since, you guys started the thread, I might as well give a review of this racquet, ala ants format.

Review Date : Late Sept 2008
    Racket Type : Yonex Nanospeed 5000SP
    Specs : 3UG4
    Strings: Yonex BG66
    Tension: 24lbs , 1 Piece Stringing
    Grip: Gosen PU grip
    Technology : Nanoscience Fullerene shaft, T-joint and isometric head

First Impression:
    Looks like the yellow ti-10 from far. The orange colors looks unique for a Yonex racquet.

Warm Ups:
    I felt the racket is what it is, a medium flex headlight racquet.
    Quoting Ants, "To familiarize with the racket, as usual the conventional baseline to baseline shots." The baseline clear requires a bit of effort, as the racquet doesn't pack a whole lot of punch. The head is a little bit unstable whilst doing an overhead stroke. There is a slight vibration when clearing or smashing, but barely felt in other strokes. Flat drives are relatively good, reaction time is fast. In terms of smash, this racquet is not forgiving at all, accuracy and power are hard to achieve.

Game Time:
    Quoting ants,"Familiarization is over. No more off timed shots". The drops are average with average precision. Sliced drops are harder with this racquet as the head is slightly unstable, twisting a bit. Shots control is good when I use this racket especially near the net. The smash power is below average to average. When comes to defense, the reaction of the racket head is fast and easy to hit a return. Backhand drive is excellent with this racquet.

Conclusion:

Overall I like NS5000. This racket is beginner friendly and it suits players with less wrist strength, since the flexy shaft compensates for it. It is more for a defensive control player rather than an offensive player. Rather good for net play.

Quoting ants,"I would rate this racket in terms of Feel, Control, Power and Defense. However it is based on my own test and review. It may vary depending on the player, tension and what string you use."

Feel: 7/10
    Control: 7/10
    Power: 6/10
    Defense: 8/10

Pros : The colors are nice, racquet shaft is flexy, less strength is used on most strokes. Easy to maneuver and defend with this racquet.

Cons: Lack of power and accuracy on overhead strokes. The racquet head is headlight and a bit unstable for overhead strokes.

Suitability : beginner/Intermediate racquet. More towards a doubles racquet, especially for a net control player.

#7 Nanospeeder, Sep 30, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2008