aside from badminton, what other sports do you play?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by andrew_cherry, Jun 19, 2002.

1. andrew_cherry

andrew_cherry Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I was just wondering - badminton is my No.1 sport, and I guess it is for most people here...? What other sports do you play? I used to play Tennis and Squash, but found I picked up to many injuries, and it adversely affected my Badminton technique - aiee! Nowadays I do rowing, which is great, and doesn't affect racquet sports at all... How about other people? Do you mix and match your sports? Or just concentrate on the Badminton?

2. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    There are other sports? :eek:

3. Fourcas

Fourcas Regular Member

Student
    I admit that.....

Sorry fellow badmintonplayers. I do other sports: runnning ( to improve physics - stamina and explosive moves) biking (ditto) i will do some swimming the next 2 months (guess why) and go to the gym lifting weights (did s'one say badminton)....

so, as you can see i like other types of sport......as long as it helps me getting better at badminton

4. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    plenty....
    soccer, basketball, hockey, baseball.... the list goes on and on....

but badminton is my favourite out of all of them....

5. adelina76

adelina76 Regular Member

Solicitor
    *jumps up and down* *raise hand* me too!

Like Mag says somewhere..can't remember which forum, oh yeah, the martial arts and badminton thread, cross training is good for your badminton..but you're right andrew_cherry, it can also affect your badminton .

When I was in high school, I played badminton and tennis for my school. I would train for tennis from straight after school (2pm) to 5:30pm...and then go back have dinner and off to badminton training from 7:00 to 9:30..sooo tired by the time I got home..hehe, had homework too..oops, got sidetracked..anyway, the point here is (be patient!) I got told off for employing for example, wrist type strokes during my tennis games (i.e dangerous, break wrist etc) ..anyway, it got to a point where I had to choose between badminton and tennis..I chose badminton of course!! (doh! I could be earning millions right now kicking the Williams sisters, Capriati and Hingis' arses..oh well..) no regrets! But I do still tennis for fun :) So the disdvantage of playing 2 disciplines competitively is that you cannot concentrate on one without jeopardising the other (time management problem as well as commitment) and also, there is more likeliness of muscle overuse and injury risks increase due to participation in 2 sports..especially if they are closely related (i.e racquet sports)

Other than that, I also do running and swimming for stamina, tennis and squash for fun and aerobics for cardio-vascular cross training. If I can somehow find a free slot in my time somewhere, I'll probably also want to pick up Yoga..for better balance and flexibility..for badminton! :)

#5 adelina76, Jun 19, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2002
  6. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    Living in Canada, there will always be sports other badminton that will be played regularly. Although my favouite sport is badminton, I am probably better at street hockey or soccer. I also enjoy playing some baseball and football once in a while. However, there's just something about badminton that caught on to me and never let go. I have been playing hockey for 5 or 6 years now and badminton for barely 2 years, yet I would choose badminton any day of the week. :) The funny thing though is that badminton is the only racquet sport I like. I never had any interest in tennis, squash or table-tennis. They just don't apeal to me although they are in the same family of sports.

7. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    I agree with Adelina -- if you're looking for a complement to badminton there are better choices than another racquet sport. It's *roughly* the same muscle groups in squash and tennis, and it does tend to mess your badminton technique up... and vice versa.

Having said that, I do play tennis in summers, just because it can be done outdoors... (but compared to badminton it sucks as a workout though) I don't do it during badminton season though.

I also run regularly, both intervals and sprints as well as some long distance running (the latter is probably not so beneficial to my badminton), I swim regularly, bike, and in winter I ski both downhill and cross-country.

8. Brett

Brett Regular Member

My other number one sport is golf, but as part of a recent pre-marital (and now continuing as a several weeks post-marital) frugality plan, I have been playing a lot less in the past two summers, as it is just getting too expensive and many of my former golfing buddies are now either a) runners and/or b) lame, middle-aged, stay at home with the new baby 365 days a year, types.

I also play softball weekly during the summers, but it has no effect on badminton. I try to play tennis also, which had no effect on badminton since there were no badminton leagues running during the summers, but lately some of my friends have been playing with people in the local college badminton club, so I may start doing that this summer. I also hike a fair amount and will start running again this summer, which should make me a bit more competititive once the season starts back up in September.

During winters, I cross country ski, if possible, but our winters the past four years have been so stupidly mild that I've only gone out about four times during that period, none at all last year.

9. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
    G'day,

Other than playing badminton 4 times a week, my other favourite sport is really unique to Australian. During time away from badminton, I perform the Aussie ritual of sitting in front of TV with a can of beer in hand and enjoy some good old Aussie barbeque, burning sausage and steaks. Real tough sport this one, where you can get repeated strain injury from flicking the channels on TV, get burnt whilst turning the meat, or get mosquitoe bites on the bum if you sit on the same spot for too long. If you are not careful seagulls will do kamikaze dives to your BBQ and snatch food off it... But if you are quick you can catch one or two seaguls and pluck their feather to make new shuttles. However, swatting flies around with your racket hand will really improve your reflexes and swing techniques for playing badminton later. This is not an easy task to do, striking a snowpea sized object traveling at 50 km/h that weaves and ducks and can stop upside down on the ceiling, while you are half pissed from all the beer and carrying stomach full of food. So If you can master striking flies whilst in ths lousy state, a fist sized shuttle will look like a basket ball when you are next time on court and sober....;)

That's why Australians are pumping out world class badminton players!

(And if you believe what I wrote is true, I have fifty MP90/99CNs for sale at US$5 a piece!) :rolleyes:

10. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Brett!

So you're a married man now? Congratulations!

11. adelina76

adelina76 Regular Member

Solicitor
    Congrats Brett...

Yeah, congrats Brett..here's a cyber toast to you and your new wife : May you and your beloved fly beneathe the wings of love, soaring through good times and bad, and constantly nesting in each other's warmth and affection...Cheers! :)

*looks at ayl...* as for you my friend..you obviously waste no time in announcing to the entire world how eligible you are....NOT! :p but thanks for being honest anyway and telling us ladies never to find an Australian boyfriend..*smiles sweetly at ayl*
    Unless of course if your ideal knight in shining armour is actually a loud mouth man who sits on his arse all day with his beer gut hanging out and resting on the coffee table and the only form of exercise he ever does is raising his beer to his mouth..:D

the Kiwicheek :)

12. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Do I hear Marg Simpson complain about Homer?? ;) Lard has its appeals in a mysterious way........

13. adelina76

adelina76 Regular Member

Solicitor
    So..

I can see how Australian males can be a result of a Homer's cloning programme going wrong, but how many woman ayl do you see walk around with Marg's hairstyle? And, have you seen Austin Powers, the spy who shagged me, remember Fat Bastard, enough said..hehe..I think all that lard is blocking some of the blood vessels that lead to your brain..*duck* *runs and hide* :p

14. Slanter

Slanter Regular Member

What!? Has BC turned into an introduction agency;) ? Will you two stop flirting immediately! And that goes for Smitten and Matt, too:D !

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i tend to agree with Slanter here. *cough*.

16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    anyway, back on topic (we tend to go off-topic really easily, guys and gals, please beware) .....

besides badminton, i bike, not as much as i used to, but i bike. mostly road, i used to mtb a lot as well but there just isn't enough time now. in the winter, i do downhill skiing. on of these days, i will try cross country, i heard it is great fun and great workout. besides that, not much, used to squash, but court and partner availability is a problem here.

17. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    haha, well for me i love badminton, i play it alot and i like play whenever i get the chance.

I have other commitments in sports though, volleyball, water polo, football (soccer), hockey and used to play some cricket but decided it wasn't for me.

18. modious

modious Regular Member

Badminton is definately my favourite sport.
    But I do play others like basketball, football(goal keeper) and table tennis.
    I used to play tennis and volleyball when I was younger but lost interest after a while...used to be quite good in high jump! :D
    I also cycle, swim, rollerblade, ice skate etc.

#18 modious, Jun 25, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2002
  19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Must be due to hormones........male and female....

20. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Oh alright then...!:D

Other than playing badminton like there's no tomorrow, I also play tennis, road bike riding and downhill mountain biking. I find that tennis really mess your badminton game up as I often unconsciously perform slice backhand and topspin forehand shots - looks really goofy on the badminton court!

Road bike riding is good as I don't have too much problem with my knee and ankles, as riding builds up your leg strengths and lung capacity. Downhill mountain bike riding, on the other hand, really builds up hand and eye co-ordination, upper body strength as well as sprinting speed - quite helpful for fast running on court.

I also play the occassional squash (natural progression from badminton and tennis), volleyball, golf, Oz rule football, soccer and cricket. This year I am going to learn how to ski (properly, that is!) roller bladding, scuba diving, and even do a bike ride around the island of Tasmania! Basically if I have time and chance, I will give it a go - as long as it doesn't eat into my badminton time or my beauty sleep.....;)