Yonex ArcSaber 9 Review

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by silentheart, Sep 27, 2008.

1. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Ladies and girls,

I just receive a 3UG4 ARC9 from the evil empire yesterday for a test drive. I am going to post my reviews today and tomorrow. Here it goes.

1 initial impression:
    Damn, there are a lot of hearts on the racquet. I tried to count and I just lost count. Also, damn, HOT pink. Not light or regular pink, but "Look at me" hot pink. From the guy point, I would not like to be seen using it. It def looks good with a young girl. High quality feel as usual from high end YY.
    2 swing test
    After I string her with lavender BG85 (I feel it is the only color that can match up with the hot pink. My wife hates that combo and say just give her old NS8000 back), I swing it and find it very even balanced. It is strung at 22.5x25lb. I put it through pencil test, the balance point is almost identical to Cab30ms. Both are even balanced as it said on the shaft. I swing it and feel if I close my eyes, I will not be able to tell if it is Cab30 or ARC9. The new leather feel grip feels "almost" like the real soft leather (not like the older leather grip which has harder feel). Very comfy indeed. I also saw the clear poly thing on the cone for dampening and griping. It feels good, however, it remain to be seen when it plays, what kind of feeling it takes away.
    Once interesting observation, although the ARC9 is strung at 22.5x25 lb vs Cab30ms is at 22X24, it "sound" softer than Cab30ms. I am wondering if it is due to the "light" carbon which I think it is marketing gimmick. There might be a difference after all.

I will post more review tomorrow after I have chance to use it on the court.

PS: If Cab30ms is a classic beauty, ARC9 is a jail bait... Also, no guys with right mind will be seen with this racquet...

Just want to add, there are several new anti cloning/faking technologies on the new ARC9. For example, the spec (3UG4) is being laser engraved. Also the clear poly cover on the cone. The hearts on the cone.

#1 silentheart, Sep 27, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2008
  2. silentheart

Dear Mod,

HaoFung started a thread about the same subject right before I posted mine. Can you merge my thread with the other one.
    Thanks!

SH

3. HaoFung

HaoFung Regular Member

I posted mine @ 09-27-2008, 05:47 PM
    I guess u were writing ur review in the meantime? ^^

Quote: The hearts on the cone. WTH!!!!

4. silentheart

If you have a chance to see one yourself, there are 5 hearts on each side next to the YONEX on the cone. They are not just pink dots.

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i wouldn't treat haofeng thread's a arcs9 review thread, it has no review at all

6. HaoFung

HaoFung Regular Member

0_0 i think i'll lower the qty of my order...

but i planned on rolling the overgrip above cone to hide all pinkness ^^

7. issarakaya

issarakaya Regular Member

Operational Dir.
    hahahahahahahaa :D i agree with this, you're very funny :p But even my wife hate saber10 color scheme, she think at900t or saber10 more cool :D

8. Tsumaranai

Tsumaranai Regular Member

Student
    :p Contradiction, lol. But it's ok, we know you meant Arc 9.

9. issarakaya

issarakaya Regular Member

Operational Dir.
    ^
    oops i'm sorry....you're right. I mean my wife hate saber9 color :p

10. Jasonvan

Jasonvan Regular Member

I think they basically replaced the arrows on the shaft of the Arc 7, 10 with hearts on the Arc 9... And I'm sure there are guys that will use the Arc 9 on the court lol... It's just a racket afterall... I was talking with somebody today and we're commenting on the Arc 9, didn't really understand why Yonex will market a racket "Specifically" for females as most of the other rackets are not gender specific. I mean if they just release a Arc 9 people will buy it anyways, but making it gender specific will deter some people from buying the racket(not me haha)... Just a thought though as I think there are more male badminton players out there and it's usually guys that are willing to spend more money on sports equipment also as the Arc 9 is one of the top of the line Yonex rackets...

11. NanoBatien

NanoBatien Regular Member

The purpose of the Arc 9 is that girlfriends will make their badminton-playing boyfriends buy it for them. Whether or not the gf will use the racket to its full potential is another matter.

If Yonex had just released another racket, the impoverished boyfriends (from buying the AT900P/T and Arc9) may not have bought it. But now the gf can demand that the bf buy a $$$ racket for them too.

G: "Honey you bought 3 rackets in 6 months, now its my turn to have one"
    B: "But you hardly play badminton"
    G: *Sulk*
    B:"Goes and buys racket"
    Y: $$$$

Or am I too cynical? :p

12. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Some of the girls were after me after they saw a person with a ruby colored racket swinging and wanted to see what it was :D

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

ding ding ding ding, gf #5:D

14. NanoBatien

NanoBatien Regular Member

Was that an Arc9 or Arc10 Matt? So maybe the Arc9 series can be used as a chick magnet by guys too. :D

15. Jasonvan

Jasonvan Regular Member

lol, wanted to try it out tonight but drop in was full... Girl magnet racket you say :cool:

16. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Yes, I say said Arc9. I own 7, 9 and 10! :D

17. silentheart

Dear Ladies and girls,

Here is the part 2 of my review.

3) Warmup time:
    A couple of guys saw the racquet and took her out for a spin before I can even warm up. So you can say the new girl have been going around already...
    I have no problem on the timing since ARC9 is very close to my Cab30ms in weight and balance point. Since I string it 1 lb higher than my Cab30ms, the feeling is close. However, I feel I need to put in a little force into it to get the clear distance I wanted. Side to side control is superb. I can put the shuttle in the double service area with ease. After a while, the shot feels good and I get the distance I wanted. Back court drop is very tight and goes over the net easier (but about 1" higher than Cab30 and NS9000-s). I am very impressed with the net drop. I almost feel like it is like directing a shuttle where to go.
    4 Game time:
    I was altering between ARC9 and Cab30ms during the game time to get a better feeling. Everything is as I expected and close to Cab30ms performance except on the clearing and smashing. Eventally I adjusted the impact spot on the ARC9 and was able to get the clear that I wanted. I would say the power is same as ARC7. I wasnt to bring up 1 additional point, if you are already used to stiff or extra stiff racquet, you might find ARC9 a little on the soft side but retaining the power. However, you will need to adjust your smash to get a better angle. Return smash is great. Very fast in defense. I like one thing the most, it is great to return a smash and dink it to a drop shot. Great in offensive clearing.
    5 Overall conclusion:
    It is a very good racquet from Yonex again. I don't like too many hearts on the racquet. (Yes, I am silentheart, so I do not like the heart on the racquet scream so loud) I will say Yonex did a improvement from NS9000-s and put in a lot of consideration from the lady's point of view and design a racquet good for ladies.

One last note, I already got an order for a guy already. What can I say...

18. HaoFung

HaoFung Regular Member

what did u string it with? ^^

for a rackets made for girls i would expect clearing to be made easier as most girls lack the power for full clears... maybe u whacked too fast so the shaft didnt bend back =P

how do u compare the stiffness n balance pt compared to the arc10?

19. YinLoung

YinLoung Regular Member

i demand more comparison to Arc7

Weight, stiffness, lenght, feel, power and control

20. cooler

cooler Regular Member

maybe he bought it for his gf/wife;)