Abuse and Cheats

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Matt Ross, Jun 19, 2002.

1. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Hi all,

Many of us love the game badminton. Yes losing is hard to take because it seems the energy is wasted for nothing but sheer devotion for the sport makes it all worth while. But, pardon my french, there are right BASTARDS out there that can't take losing or have to cheat to win. What is the damn point, these people should be hung! I mean i was playing a 30 year old man in the mixed divison, i was winning and he decided to big it up to me over the net. I exchanged a few harsh words and at the end i didn't shake his hand. I mean these are GROWN MEN acting like kids because they are losing!! They throw the racket in the floor, moan and groan, what is the damn point? And also, people cheating too! Like bad line calls, thinkg to put you off, IT IS NOT NEEDED IN THE SPORT!! I suggest these people sort themselvs out because at the end of the day, it's THEM who get the bad reputation and make a total prat out of themselves.

Matt

2. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    i COMPLETELY agree with you... it really pisses me off when a player cheats to win. it's better when you can get line judges... but usually, it's just better to play a safe game by simply not hitting it at close to the lines.... usually, the cheaters aren't very good anyway...

3. Slanter

Slanter Regular Member

I have been coaching children for a while and I am convinced that it is a lifelong condition. I treat all of the kids the same and in every new year there is one or two children who routinely cheat. I have tried everything to get rid of it but it still happens. In the main it is because they think they are clever, they often look around after an episode to see if they have impressed anyone, but occasionally it is to win. Both are unacceptable.

I think that with the advent of the internet news travels fast. There are people who have been identified on other websites simply because they cheat. There is a young girl from Surrey who only has athsma attacks when she is losing. Most of the time websites remove the individuals name but word still gets around. Whether that is right or wrong, I can't decide.

4. tonten

tonten Regular Member

Student
    I have been a badminton manager/semi-coach at my school for 5 years, and I have seen ALL SORTS of cheating done by other schools.

Here are some situations of cheating that I have encountered (Mind you, using these cheats will no way improve your skill of play and they will likely get you most hated by others):

Backstab-

We were at a juniors finals game vsing a school called Magee. Everytime someone on our team hit a shot that landed near, on, or close to the out lines - the opponents would quickly cover their back to the birdy so that our players can not see it and they would quickly scoop the birdy up and call it out.

Back then we did not know that doing something like that by covering your back to a birdy was not allowed. Our coach was inexperienced (he was just a teacher who played badminton), and he couldn't interfere with the game if he wanted to. The rules stated that coaches may not intervene in the middle of the game, unless the players ask the coaches to. That's why it was up to the players to catch things like this, and our players didn't know they could even call the coach if they had a problem.

Flaming Arrow-

We were playing at a school which was near my school. We were leading in the majority of the games that were being played. POOF! Magically the fire alarm rings and we were evacuated. When we come back, the opposing team swears that they do not remember the score and accused of cheating when our players told them what the score was before we had left. All the matches that were being played at the time the fire alarm went were all replayed again, and boy, we did not do well.

Infiltrator-

I assume none of this was planned, but one of our players mysteriously disappeared the moment she was called to get on the court to play her doubles game. Their coach said immeadiatly, if she does not show up in three minutes, your game if forfeit.

I got so mad when he said that. In the past, if players were missing, my school would be nice enough just to play the next match on the list and wait until that player returns. Alot of the other schools do this too, because it is well, just nice and understanding on the school's part.

But this coach was competitive, and would do anything to win. The game was forfeited.

5 minutes later, the girl from my school appeared holding a cup of bubble tea in one hand and her boyfriend's hand in the other. Did I mention her boyfriend was from the opposing school we were playing against?

Jerry Springer-

The rudest experience I have ever had was 4 years at a school with the initials V.T. (Strange enough, when we visited them this year, they were the best school in terms of manners out of all the schools we visited this year. I think it is because they got a new coach)

Like any other school in my city, the gym in this school had bleechers. A large audience came with it. They had 6 courts so there are always 6 games in session. During games, the audience would shout to my school's players at the courts closest to the bleechers: "OUT! IN! BOO! Look Behind you!"

Everytime someone on our team made a mistake or missed, the audience would clap and chant YAY!!! Whenever the opposing team got a point, they would start hammering the floorboards. Someone was also spitting at my team's players.

I complained three times to their coach, then the coach finally did something about it after the 4th time I complained, but.... It was too late... The coach told the audience that one more word out of them, everyone will be kicked out of the bleechers. He told them this during the last match that was being played (The other 10 were done already, all of them having to suffer the rants of the audience).

Why did I say too late? One of the players playing the final match got pissed at the taunting, lost her concentration, and fell twisting her ankle. Rules say in a situation like this, players who get injured must still play on. If you want to substitute someone in place of the injured player, the match will be forfeited. She played on as hard as she could, even thought she could hardly move. In the end, we lost the match. Not only the match, but the. We were tied at 5-5. After that last match, 6-5.

The No Coffee Situation

This was another finals match, and it was the best year my school had ever had in badminton. It was the farthest we had every made into the finals which was 3rd.

The opposing school didn't do it on purpose, but what was accidentally done gave them a great advantage (I don't blame anyone at all. The finals schedule was screwed up, and everything was hectic).

It was on a school night. The game was scheduled to be at 7:00 at night. We were told by the opposing school it was at 2:30. Unluckily for us, my school got off early on this particualr day so everyone decided to leave early for the game at Twelve Something to reach the opposing school.

A storm had evolved that afternoon and it was raining gruesomely. Everyone trenched in the rain to the bus, and then when we got off the bus, we had to walk more than 6 blocks to the opposing school, soaking wet. No one had umbrellas.

When we got there, everyone was tired and wet, and two of our players started to develop a migrane. One got a cold. I speant an hour looking for the opposing school's sponser, and making phone calls to see what was happening, because it was 2:30 and there was not a hint of badminton anywhere.

When I finally found out it was at 7:00 and that the officials and the organizers had made a mistake, it was too late for my players, because we were already at the school! ARGH! Our players stayed at this school until 7:00, sitting on the bleachers doing nothing. Some of them went to the mall, which even got them more tired when they came back, because they were exposed to more rain and thunder.

NO one had brought food , because we thought we would finish long before dinner time. No one brought money either, so no one could buy food. While our team was hungry, sleepy, sick, tired, drained, and basically dead, the opposing team players were at home snuggled against nice pillows or relaxing watching T.V. with food and lots to eat to regain their energy from their long day at school.

We came close, but we lost 4-7. All the 7 matches that we lost were all TIE Breakers.

Arrrr! The Seven Seas-

You might wonder, would you really see dead people in a brand new gym that was only built half a year ago? Maybe if the lights blinded your senses like sunlight!

We were not ALLOWED wet paper towels, because the opposing school was afraid that the wet paper towels would damage the gym floor (We usually put wet paper towels next to the courts on the floor, so players can get their shoes wet so they can move better?)

These two things were worse for us than the opposing school's players, because our players were not as used to the bright light and not as used to moving on this gym floor as the opposing school's players were.

Anyhow, a vollyball game was happening at the same time and the Divider that divided the gym was not built yet. So you have 1 side of the gym with people playing vollyball, and the other side of the gym with people playing badminton. This may be bad for both schools playing badminton, but vollyballs popping out of nowhere still interrupts a game.

Ring Around the Rosie-

Ever played against completely new players, or prehaps just people who plays for fun and don't really know the rules? Well, our school's junior teams are sometimes like that. We hardly have enough practices for the coach to teach every single rule in the rulebook of badminton to the players, and our coaches are usually inexperienced coaches, teachers, or just players who plays badminton.

What the male opponents did at this particular school was follow the motto, "Tell Nothing But a Lie", when they learned my school's players don't know the rules inside out like they do.

The opponents would drive serve, when those drives serves are illegal, because the racket is above their waist. They would hit it out or short, and then say that no, it is in.

Our school's junior teams are just beginner players, and they didn't know the rules well enough. That's one way to be taken advantage of is if you are a newbie being discieved and tricked by dishonorable patoks.

Manager's Play-
    This school we played at starts with a K.

So, the opposing school screws up the roaster right? Near the end of the games, when the final sets are being played, we find out the people playing them have already played each other already. - Thus, they cannot play each other again.

(The system works like this. A plays Aa, B plays Bb, A plays Bb, Aa plays B)

The opposing school screws up, huh? Well, no matter! The roaster will be fixed so the opposing school the advanatage! There's too much to explain, but basically, it was fixed so that we had to substitute people so their best players got to play our weakest players. Why couldn't they do the substitution, huh? They said that since the problem was fixed perfectly if we substituted, we shouldn't touch the roaster again or it might get screwed up.

I objected. I wanted to replay those games originally how it was, but it was impossible since it was getting late and everyone had to leave (Our gym time was almost up and the teacher's aren't willing to stay another 2 hours just because something screwed up. It's just a game to them)

I just said, ok fine. Forget this. I tried my best. Whatever they want to do, just do it.
    Then, their manager starts crying, because I gave her that attitude and had left to go back to my sponser on the other side to tell him I give up.

She was the who made the mistake in the first place on the roaster. When I found out she was crying, I apologized and felt really guilty afterwards, because I was normally not like that. She sicks her boyfriend on me. Oh yeah! Interesting way how things wrapped up right after we lost (It came close 6-5 in their favor out of the 11 games)

(I should have been more pissed after her boyfriend intimidated me. Instead, I still felt really guilty, because I don't like tears. Even though I didn't mean it, I had hurt someone. Well, I speant 4 hours writing her an apology letter even though I didn't need to. People were telling me it wasn't my fault, and that I shouldn't waste my time on it. I wrote it, sent it to her, and she gets the last laugh)

#4 tonten, Jun 20, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2002
  5. abb

abb Regular Member

Unemployed Bum
    I've had chronic asthma since I was 8 weeks old. I play badminton in the local leagues, nothing fancy. But there are times where it becomes too hard to get through a set without taking a puff of meds. I keep the inhaler by the net, it only takes 20-30 seconds, and I check with my opponents if its ok for me to do so. Would that be considered cheating or having an unfair advantage? Also is it illegal to take medication during a match. Ive played club badminton for the last couple of years and no-one has mentioned anything before. I'm just curious about the situation.

Also, regarding cheats...I find there are two types. You have your compulsive cheats who cheat whether they need to or not. It's all about winning at all costs. Then you have your part-time cheat, who cheats when losing. Its hard to say which is worse.

How do cheats affect you? Can you keep your calm when someone keeps calling your shots out? I really can't! I was in one match (XD) where the opponents would swear each time we called the shuttle out. It was obvious they thought we were cheating and did everything short of saying it to our faces. We were much better than them and were beating them. I was so disgusted by their behaviour, I just switched off and stopped playing properly. They went on to win, and funnily enough, they were all smiles and giggles after that. Ironically, the same team had the most ethical and well-behaved pair Ive ever played against. I guess it all evens out.

I guess the best thing to do, as a badminton player, is to appreciate the good points of the game and learn how to ignore the ugly side such as cheating. There will always be people who will try to cheat, no matter what we do to prevent it. Whilst we should always stand up to foul-play, its best not to let it affect the way you play your game. All that negativity can be soooo depressing, not to mention frustrating.

#5 abb, Jun 20, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2002
  6. Fourcas

Fourcas Regular Member

Student
    cheating........:mad:

I certainly agree with all of you. Cheating is bad, m'kay!

once lost a match(10 years ago and i still remember!!!) because my opponent called a netdrop out. - we were both standing less than 1 meter away and it was at least 5 cm inside the line. Being rather young....i got so upset that, at first i wanted to replay the point - but he refused, then i went to the tournaments organizers, complained and they send s'one to be empire. Anyway, I had totally lost focus and lost.........

Another time I played a guy who was notorious for cheating. Keeping this in mind we played. He called a good shot out, and i did the same thing on his next shot close to the line.......

sorry, no-one is perfect. Of cause there are no legal explanation for cheating, but please keep in mind that the mind of a child is fragile. Yes, i tried to correct wrong with wrong. But as far as i was concerned (back then!) they made a right!

-------

Nowadays i try to be as fair as possible when playing. If I am in doubt - really in doubt! - I give it to him. But if I 'm sure it's out then nothing can make me change my mind! In badminton there is no place for charity. I have experienced many players who gave points away just to be nice - even if it landed well outside the line. They try to avoid confrontation at all cost.

Another factor is angle and eyesight. I remember a game(mixedD) where the receiver tried to put the shuttle in between us in the alley( in dk we call it the mix-spot (mixpunktet)). I was already waiting for it out there, realising it was too wide i called it out.........they hated us for the rest of the game, called some serves too short etc.......

Another mixD this year.
    Right after i had called a similar shot wide (in the mixspot) they argued just slightly. 2 minutes later they called a shot out (it was IN) just to get their revenge. My mixpartner ( reserve, my normal partner was sick) was an experienced +40 years old veteran argued a lot with them as she was closest and saw where the shuttle fell
    I got so upset i threw my racket under the net and complained a lot.

finally we resumed playing. they were ahead 13-9 in the third game but we used the incident as a catalysor and won 15-13. After the game i apologized to them (i didn't behave well! -neither did they!

I guess, what i am trying to say is that as long as there are two teams on court problems will arise. Ecspecially, if it is an important match without referee. And sometimes your eyes deceive you! Still, never accept cheating if you are certain.

Sorry about my english, it's without structure for the moment.

7. Brett

Brett Regular Member

I've posted on this topic before, but to repeat, I am one of the only players in my league to make an issue when an opponent has made bad calls. Luckily, there have only been a few people whose competitiveness outweighs their sense of fairness.

Several years back, I realized that in every game I played against Player A, some of my serves that landed anywhere up to 15cm inside the service line would be called short and Player A would call out anything landing up to 15 cm inside the back line. This happened at least twice a game unless Player A's team was winning handily. It clearly wasn't a vision problem, because Player A never, ever mistakenly called a close shot in our favor. When partnered with Player A, I had to overrule my partner's bad calls on several occasions. I finally had a confrontation with this person over one of my serves that was a full 15 cm in, but was called out, and I upset this person quite a bit by demanding that everyone play fairly. My confrontational behavior paid off, as I played at least another dozen or two games against Player A, all the calls were fair and we got along very well after that.

Most recently, I had a problem with one of the old regulars in our league, Player B, who is a fine player, but exceedingly competitive. I had previously had a run in with Player B who demanded that I honor the call of "out" made by Player B's partner (it landed at least 30 cm in, but the partner simply got confused by several similar colored lines for other sports on the gym floor - it was an honest but extremely clear mistake). Generally speaking, I have not done well playing against Player B, but in this more recent game, I was playing well and my side was winning. I was serving in the even court and was looking far left, as if I was going to serve wide to the outside corner of the service box. Instead, I hit a flick serve down the line. Player B lunged to the right and then realized that the shuttle had passed overhead on the left and was out of reach. Player B called the serve out immediately upon realizing that my deception had succeeded, wrongfooting Player B. At the time that Player B made the call, the shuttle was still in the air, a full meter off the ground. No one can possibly make a line call before the shuttle hits the ground, unless it is so far out it hits a wall. The shuttle landed near the back of the doubles service court, I believe about 5 cm in. Player B then claimed "Yep, it was out by two feet." If the call had been "it was out by two inches" I would have suspected it was a bad call but would not have said anything. However, I got pretty offended by this unquestionable lie made to justify the original, premature call of out. I said something like "Come on!" but didn't pick a big fight over the point.

Later I told several of my friends about the point and Player B's blatent cheating. Either Player C (another old regular and friend of Player B) overheard me or Player B said something to Player C, but a few weeks later while a group of us were out having some beer after a league night (and having a really pleasant time, too), Player C suddenly, out of the blue, started criticizing my refusal to accept truly bad line calls and telling me that some people in the league won't play with me because of it. Luckily several other people changed the topic quickly before Player C ruined the whole evening. I later had a private talk with Player C in which he apologized for his outburst before the group. Player D, another friend of Player B's, has consistently refused to play with me over the last ten or more league nights, always begging off with "Oh, I'm so tired, I'm going to take a break." Player D is actually the only one of Player B's clique (or in our league for that matter) that won't play with me, as I've since played several times against and with both Player B and Player C. I originally thought about not playing in any game with Player B again, but have decided the better way is to play with everyone and be polite, avoiding creating a problem when people are pairing up for games.

I really don't understand why some people take the game so seriously that they feel they can't be satisfied without winning by any means, honestly or not. The beauty of this game is that no matter how poorly someone might be playing on a given day, he or she is nonetheless going to make a few good shots that will be memorable and will make the player want to come back and play again. Trust me, I've had nights on the court that were as bad or worse than any playing session probably anyone else on this board has had, but I still love the game and have never been tempted to cheat because I always make at least a few good smashs or drop shots I remember afterwards.

8. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    But i mean, the problem i had was with a gown 40 year old man because of a flick drive serve! IT IS NOT NEEDED! It's a game, learn from your mistakes, don;t bloody cheat to win!

9. adelina76

adelina76 Regular Member

Solicitor
    Try this next time..

I totally agree with all on you that it's not nice and often it can throw you off your game when the opponent cheats..

I've used to feel absolutely annoyed when someone cheats, especially with line calls. I decided that I needed to do something to counter this phenomenon or else I would lose concentration and the game as well..so this is what I do:

If say my opponent called the shuttle out when it should have been in, I'll query it and if s/he insisted that it was out, then I tell myself that "what a cheat..but instead of giving into my annoyance..I'll show him/her in the next ralley by kicking his/her arse truly"so as to prove that cheaters never win!

Okey, you may not necessarily go on to win the next point or the game..but my point is, rather than channelling your anger into a wasteful emotion that you can't do anything with..turn it into somethign POSITIVE..turn it into a form of MOTIVATION for you to show that you can be magnanimous about the line call and that you're a better person than your opponent and that you don't have to resort to cheating to win. When you DO WIN, the victory is even sweeter because you didn't cheat and you didn't let your opponent's cheating get to you and in fact you can even thank your opponent for motivating you..how's that? :)

Just my 2 cents worth

Adelina

10. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    I agree. i dont get mad but i see it as a motivation to kick their asses even more. They think it upsets you but really it gets the adrenalin going even more.

Matt

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    yes, i do that too, channelling energy to the positive and not the negative side

12. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    yes, i totally agree... it's really important not to get pissed off... whenever i do, smashing goes up, but then everything else goes to hell.....

well, the good thing is that most people who cheat aren't at all good.... so if you can play consistently, then you should be able to win... and if you can, it's best to get line judges... but that usually isn't possible unless you're playing at a semi-important tournament...

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Hmm, good point.

Blatent cheating is done by people who have no confidence in themselves. If you are confident about your own abilities and consistency, it shouldn't make a difference to the overall score. If it's a close game and something like that happens, then the problem is you didn't play well enough to build up a big lead!

I like Matt's example. In fact, drive serves are very contentious so the opponent may have had a particular gripe. The fact there is no service judge/umpire makes it difficult. The Matt gives him reply which the older guy takes as an insult (with no respect for elder). The older guy then proceeds to slam the shuttle down.

I say fair enough. If i was Matt, I would definately take a postmortem of my own stroke later to reanalyse the situation. If it was really a fault, I would go and repair my serve as it may affect me in a later tournament with a service judge.
    If I am sure it is OK(with a rule book in hand and definitions strictly spelled out), it;s the other guy;s problem - hard luck. If he gets angry about it, that's his problem as well.
    BTW Matt, I advise you to have the rule book in your bag and a service judges' definition of waist height so you can quote this in future matches because I have a strange feeling it is not going to be an isolated incident.;)

14. AKFT

AKFT Regular Member

I would never cheat, but I have noticed that, at least for myself, there is nothing more distracting than a compliment from your opponent (only in "friendly" matches of course) or the spectators. So if you want to throw your opponents off during the game in a gentleman's way, compliment them on their shots!

:)

15. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Cheung,

His is the ONLY person to query it, i have played in ESBA finals against the best in the country, and they said nothing. It;s the fact that they are losing to a 16 year old, they detest it! After the match i asked my coach if the serve was alright, and him, along with my england coach said there was no problem with it what so ever. So ya know what i've done? Bought him a rule book and happily sent it to his club :) ;)

Matt

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Matt

You have access to more knowledgable people than i have.

Unfortunately, they can't help in the middle of a game because then it's one person's word against another.

Did you ask the rule book to be sent back to you detailing the alleged fault? Bet you'd never get the book back:cool:

17. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    I really , really, really, hate cheating. I also dislike it when I am accused of cheating. If it is close, I'll usually give it to them. Here are a few example of each:

The "Swing, Miss, and Call It Out" - I've played against a rather unskilled player many times in singles. (he quit because everyone kept beating him) Anyways, sometimes I would clear it up high, and he would swing at it and miss completely. If it was near the line, he would act all happy that it was "out," because he had missed it.

This involved the same player in the previous story. He would serve long in singles, and it would land a couple incehs out, and bounce back in. I called it out. He would object reasoning that "how could it still be in the court?" Anyways, it was annoying to be called a cheater.

In a doubles final, I hit a perfect flick serve, that landed about an inch in either way in the farthest corner. The receiver didn't even get a good look at it since he was tricked, but he called it out. In the second game, I hit a short serve that landed right on the centre line. He called it out. Mind you, in both these instances, there was an umpire whom we had asked to call lines only on serves. Both these times, I just sort of looked questioningly at him, but he did nothing. It was all good though when we won, 15-9, 15-4.

The "I Got You Covered" - In a quarterfinal, on our game point, my partner hit a smash about an inch from the sideline. The opponent missed it, and the instant the shuttle hit the ground, his partner on the other side of the court says "Good eye!."

This is about all I can think of right now, hope you had fun reading it.

Phil

#17 Phil, Jun 21, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2002
  18. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Cheung

Didn't want the book back, just wanted em to read the damn rules before they came back and played league badminton again. :)

Matt

19. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    there's a girl that lives in ontario named shauna wong.. and she's INCREDIBLEY nice to her opponents... if they are rather unskilled, she actually teaches them on the fly...

20. abb

abb Regular Member

Unemployed Bum
    Hmm, strange. I always find compliments from opponents put me at ease and help me play a better game. When I play, its rare for opponents to acknowledge good shots, so the odd compliment perks me up :p
    However, when I see specatators complimenting my opponents, it makes me feel nervous and more under pressure. I play for a club at lower league level and other team members arent very vocal in their support :(