changing shuttlecocks

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by dassad, Sep 28, 2008.

1. dassad

dassad Regular Member

developer
    how often can player change this?
    logically, when shuttlecock is broken
    but watching matches, i see LD changes it every second-third serve, and what curious is other players ask referee, give him shuttlecock to check, sometimes referee says "no, play it" and so on - but LD just shows shuttlecock to all - "ok it's gone" and straighly goes to change it .. no one referee protest

what about this?;)

2. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    I change a shuttlecock when a feather breaks.

3. jerby

jerby Regular Member

well, as far as I know the rules, there're no limitations for players as to how many shuttles they can use...
    So if both sides agree the shuttle can be changed. However, when a referee suspects a player might be changing shuttles a lot for personal motivations (just having a break, annoy opponents, etc) he can meddle in this affair.

Now, as to why they change.... It can be a lot of things: a feather can break, the feather can fold inwards, it can be too fast, or too slow, or it's just darn unlucky :p

4. Fan888

Fan888 Regular Member

Consider how hard these players hit the shuttles and the number of hits per point, the shuttles would have gone through a lot of punishments in 2 to 3 points. Plus consider the stakes of the game, changing a bit more frequently is quite reasonable.

As for showing the shuttles, I believe they are showing their opponents for their agreement. Usually they nod their head in agreement and they proceed with the change. But when their opponent disagree or the referee suspect the reason for the change, that is when the referee inspects the shuttles.

5. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    In a tournament, I only ask for a shuttle cock change when it's really necessary (like when a feather is broken or the shuttle's flight is already not normal). But I try to avoid it as much as possible because I usually don't want to break the phase of my game. Plus, it could really be irritating to interrupt the game time and time again.
    I once had an opponent who tires easily. And the only way he could get a short rest is to ask for a shuttle change repeatedly. It was distractingly annoying. But of course, I figured out it was his strategy so I kept my cool and thus won the tournament.

I think the badminton federation should impose a more precise and strict rule about this because this could be one of the delaying tactics that competitive players hate so much. Even if there has to be an agreement between all parties (the players and the umpire) concerned regarding when to change the birdie, the repeated request of shuttle change could still be distracting.

For example, an additional rule for shuttle change could be as follows:
    Rule 1: A player is not allowed to ask for a shuttle change 3 consecutive times
    Rule 2: Only the player/s with the service is allowed to ask permission for shuttle change, with the agreement of the opponent.
    Rule 3: A player is not allowed to change shuttle without legitimate reasons
    ... etc.

6. hhwoot

hhwoot Regular Member

Graduate Student
    If a player can't ask for change of shuttle on receiving, the server can mess with the shuttle more easily. This motion will only need to be hidden from the umpire with that rule, and the server can change the shuttle to make it harder to return.

7. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    good point. Let's add another rule then.

Rule 4: Messing up with the shuttle, whether concealed or not, is strictly prohibited.

oooohhh. I never thought players could be this scheming.

8. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Regular Member

Student
    I think this would be a good idea except for the term legitimate because my interpretation of a "legitimate reason" could be different from your interpretation of legitimate reason.

9. hhwoot

hhwoot Regular Member

Graduate Student
    It's already forbidden to mess with the shuttles. Players are scheming, because if the umpire does not see them messing with the shuttle, then it's perfectly legal* to modify the shuttle to their advantage.

*note: because it's only the umpire's duty to enforce the rules, the opposing player can not call faults.

10. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    yeah. you're right. Subjectivity is one of the gray areas one can find in a written rule. :cool: But that's not my problem anymore. The above rules were just examples/suggestions. My point is that, the badminton federation (or the "rule makers" of badminton, whoever they are) should come up with a more concise and specific rule regarding changing of shuttle. Let them discuss/debate about the situations that will encompass "legitimacy".

I'm not guilty of this. And I haven't met anyone who purposely mess with the shuttle cock to their advantage.

And to those scheming players who cheat by altering the shuttle cock, SHAME ON YOU :mad: :mad:

11. dassad

dassad Regular Member

developer
    ok the first part of my question is pretty clear answered now
    what about second - what happens there with LD or it's smth that only I pay attention?

12. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Once LD "shows to all", that means the ref is also included. I don't think LD can simply take a new one from the tube himself anyway. If the ref has a concern, I am sure s/he will reject the case and let LD play on. ;)

13. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Oh yeah. I usually see him do this. The signal is to raise the shuttle for everyone to see. And if no one objects, then change of shuttle is allowed