BG66 ashaway red/white string too smooth?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by puppyonfire, Oct 1, 2008.

1. puppyonfire

puppyonfire New Member

Hi all,

Got a spanking new HEAD metallix 10000 from this shop (ground floor Queensway shopping centre) in singapore, strung at 24 lbs. Realised that the strings run a lot. Very puzzled as to why 24 lbs still running like cheapo $5 kiddy racket. Went back to shop. Shop owner says that string too smooth. Huh???? Think I've been taken for a ride.

:mad:

2. Gigabit

Gigabit Regular Member

Banker
    Hi,

I had the same the problem with ashaway strings. I used durakill 66, the quality which is below par. I change the string after 2 months with yonex bg 66

3. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    Is the red/white string micropower? If its micropower, i think its rougher than yonex bg66

4. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Ashaway does not make BG66 string. BG66 is a Yonex string.

5. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    I guess he is using the S'pore version of the micropower which .66 gauge.

6. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

If it is micropower 66 then it is a better string than Yonex's BG66. Micropower has better grip on the shuttle than BG66 and this is reflected in the newly strung strings moving. Strings that don't move are slippery and hence lose some power. Even micropower 66, after repeated use will lose grip and friction and become more slippery. When strings don't move it is time to restring.

7. puppyonfire

puppyonfire New Member

BG or not BG

Not sure if its BG but quite sure its 66 and Ashaway red / white stripes. Maybe moving a bit is normal but mine was ridiculous. Not one two threads but most of it all over the place after a few strokes. Should have taken a picture. Anyways, I cannot get over it so brought it to another shop for restringing. This boss plucked at his 23 lbs and they fall back to place,. I pluck mine just see a big gap. Just doesn't feel right.

:(

8. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Contrary to popular belief, good strings do move. Strings that do not move are either old or too slippery from non-gripping coatings like you find in NBG98 or BG68Ti. AOTBE, higher tension will reduce moving more than lower tension. Also given the same tension, if a moved string can be easily moved back to normal then the string surface is either too slippery or too old and as a consequence it will have poorer all-round playability. If you find some friction/resistance in moving it back to normal then that string is a better string, simply because of the absence of a slippery coating. Strings that are slippery have poor control. But some players may not be aware of this.

9. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    Was the racket strung at Gala Sports? Have heard negative feedback on their stringing before (Gala supporters - pls dun be upset with me :))

10. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    two stringers recommended me to apply candle wax or vaseline cream on the strings to prevent less movement and it works for me.

11. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Wax is usually used by inexperienced stringers to make stringing and pulling easier and also faster. This is for the purist very poor practice because the stringer has changed the string surface grippiness by applying another uncalled for coating that is slippery. It doesn't move because the shuttle doesn't bite into the shuttle, hence losing velocity. If you have played with both thick and thin strings you will find thinner strings have more velocity because of the shuttle bite from thinner string.
    In short you want the shuttle to be gripped by the string, not slipped off. A good shuttle/string interface grip will move the string when the shot is angled thus giving control. This is specially important for the cut smash, chops and the reverse sliced drops.

12. puppyonfire

puppyonfire New Member

!!!!

You are right ....

What i cannot understand is why the ******** about string too smooth ..

13. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

My own experience with thinner strings is that they do tend to move. This is especially with the ashaway microlegend.

I do not have much feeling (positive or negative) about Gala's stringing. The stringers tend to be a little snobbish but I dun really care. I personally prefer to string at Sintec bedok or Mr Soh (Classic). Both does 1-piece stringing :).

14. 3radius

3radius Regular Member

if it was strung on the spot within an hour ... most probaby a lousy stringing job. i dun trust the shops on groundfloor