grip modification and BP concern

Discussion in 'Grip' started by bobbinbette, Oct 1, 2008.

1. bobbinbette

bobbinbette Regular Member

Just yesterday i decided to alter the grips to my Arc7, Victor ti-98, and LX858. I found that the grips were slightly too thick for me even though they were g5 and only had one layer of yonex supergrap on it. I tore off the original grip on each and added eletrical tape to each. 1 layer for LX858, 2 for ti-98, and 3 for arc7 to test which grip felt most comfortable with me. But i overlapped the tape halfway so it's more like 2/4/6 layers instead of 1/2/3. So far the ti-98 feels best but i had no idea doing what i did would drop the balance point down nearly an inch on my ti-98 and a bit over an inch on my arc 7. My arc 7 bp used to be around 295mm strung with yonex super grap, but now it dropped around 20 mm or more. should i be concerned? and will this affect my play much? cuz all my rackets just went from slightly heavy even balance, to head light according to all measurements.

has anyone done this before? and how did your rackets turn out? =/

just to say, i'm taking one layer off the arc 7 and adding a layer of electrical tape to the lx858 since 2 layers seems to be my favorite.

also, the rackets seem much heavier now. is electrical tape really that heavy? or am i just imagining things?

2. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Do you have super small hands if you don't fit a G5?

Most likely you are feeling that the racket is heavier because the grip is smaller due to the smaller surface area of the handle which your hand is supporting the racket's weight. The weight is now conentrated in a smaller area therefore it will have the feeling that it is heavier.

3. bobbinbette

bobbinbette Regular Member

na, my hands fit a g3 just fine, its just that the grip seemed a bit bulkier than what i was used to o_O and i read on this forum that electrical tape has been tried before, so i tried it. i just hope it doesn't throw off my game too much. and mostly it's because i like the size of the g5 grip without an overgrip, but i like supergrap more than the original so i tried to recreate the g5 grip using tape and an overgrip, but the sideeffects of a significantly lowered bp makes me worried...

4. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    It's better to keep the orignal overgrip on top. I'm personally using a G5 with supergrap on top.

It does sound like you need to buy replacement Arc Saber grip and put it back on top so it will feel similar to what it was before.

5. Tsuioku

Tsuioku Regular Member

Electrical tape is pretty dense compared to grips. To shift the BP by >20mm though... either your racket is pretty light (4U to low 3U) or you overlapped too much.

As for whether or not it will affect your performance, I will say most likely.
    Head light rackets tend to be more defense and control oriented while head heavy are more attack and power oriented. If you are the former, it might actually IMPROVE your performance.

I've never read the threads on using electrical tape but you can try overlapping less and over lap more with the Supergrap. Another option is to use Supergrap as the base layer instead of electrical tape too.