Badminton classes at Lee's

Discussion in 'Lee's Badminton Training Centre' started by Tammy, Jun 21, 2002.

1. Tammy

Tammy Regular Member

Hi, I just got my tax refund in the mail (yipee!). I'm not sure if I should spend it on a MP-88 or a class at Lee's :)

Are Lee's classes good? How do they practice? I mean if they let us play/train with each other or the coaches feed shuttles for us to pratice.

Anyone planning to take a class there on Saturday? I need a ride :)

2. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Depends, if you want to get better then go to lee's (whoever he is), but if you feel your at a good enough standard as it is then buy yourself a racket.

Matt

3. Tammy

Tammy Regular Member

I forgot to mention Lee's is in GTA, Toronto.

Matt, I'd definitely need more training :) Just want to make sure the training class is good.

4. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Tammy,

Ok then, go for the training. Never heard of Lee so i can't help you there! But i'm sure someone would be able to help you. I'm taking my coaching badge soon, i only charge £200,000,000 per hour so contact me if interested :). At the end of the day, the racket maybe vital, but the movement and stroke is the key.

Matt

5. TDotSmAsHer

TDotSmAsHer Regular Member

Student Gr 11 in Sept.------- badminton player/ad
    Tammy! Lee's is pretty good... they do produce some good players .... but I think spending the money on pvt lessons will be more worth it then group lessons! Or you coullddddd buy a racquet.. but skills is more valueble then racquets..

Nanashi trains there... he should have better info .. like how much $$/hour and stuff.

Uhhhh.... hate to admit buttt.... I actually took one of their "group" lessons a while bak..... totally embarassing but at least I learned somethin :D why? because most people there cept for like 2 people were way younger then me ... oh yea btw.. I'm only 16 ^^ ...... of course.. that was only the beginner classes.... dunno about inter and adv.

Rite now, I'm tryin to get parents to say yes to lettin me take pvt there (say yes as in paying for it and giving me a ride there every week :D .. btw I live far from Lee's think jane and dundas west )

I would actually get membership there if I lived cloes to there... but I live too far away to make membership worthwhile :( they got those mats... makes it real easy on your knees!

www.leesbadminton.com I think it tells the time/sheddule for their group lessons..

#5 TDotSmAsHer, Jun 21, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2002
  6. Tammy

Tammy Regular Member

Gosh ... I'm much older than you, TDotSmAsHer. And you were embarassed!! I must be way out of their league. I know there are some classes for adults, but the time is not good for me. I can only take the intermediate class on Saturday, but I heard the classes on Sat are for teenagers. And I'm way past my teen years :) What should I do? Do you know anyone good giving private lessons? Maybe we can split the cost.

Matt, I'll register to train with you as soon as I win a ... lottery and you give me a discount, say 100,000,000% :)

7. TDotSmAsHer

Hehe.... well, I don't know anyone/anywhere giving private lessons right now... cep't for @ Lee's! Anyone out there in Toronto got any suggestions! ?? I can try to look for someone though!

Btw.. tammy u got icq or msn or anything??

8. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Hi Tammy/TDotSmasher,
    Check out http://www.cbca.cc/

They should have a list of coaches available in the Toronto area. Beware aware that the site has pop-up windows.

You might want to phone Jennifer Lee to see what kind of rates she charges for private lessons and also more information on her classes. The other coach that I know of in Toronto is Kim Ng of George Brown College. Not sure if he does private lessons (I think he does). Try contacting him.

9. Ernie

Ernie Regular Member

Student
    How about a list of coaches in San Francisco area...

10. Tammy

Tammy Regular Member

TDotSmAsHer, I don't use instant messaging or chat, but I read emails often during the day when I'm not busy. My email: tammyth44@yahoo.com.

WWC, I know Kim Ng. I took a beginner class with him at GBC, and it was good. The only thing I did not like is each class lasted 3 hours, and it was too long for me. If you had to do drills, clear, smash, run for 3 hours, that'd be a lot!!! I may ask him to reduce the class time to 1.5 or 2 hrs each and take the intermediate class with him.

Thank you for the info.

11. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Youn wonna get better you HAVE to put the time in. I mean when i come back from holiday i am going pro, and i will be doing 20, maybe even 30 plus hours a week. Just tidying up shots, gyms, the lot.

Matt

12. TDotSmAsHer

My god... 30 hours?? During school I can bearly manage to play twice a week of doubles... which is 4 hours!... Now that it's summertime yeah I'll play more... but 30 hours! hehe... lucky :p ( I get tired after 3 hours!)

13. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    If you want to get near the best then you have got to be dedicated.

Matt

14. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    ok, first off, age doesn't mean anything... i don't think you should be embarrased to play with people younger or much younger than you... i know a man who is about 76.. and he plays in one of the classes...

seriously though, the classes for saturdays are not worthwhile unless you are beginner... let's put it this way.. all their "beginner" classes truly are beginner classes, and their "intermediate" classes are quite beginner also... i recommend taking the intermediate/advance class.. seriously, it's much better... even if you do find yourself outclassed, who cares? you'll still be learning new things...

my recommendation, however, is to skip group lessons and go straight to private lessons... look at it this way... 1 year of group lessons will run you about $800... with that 800, it is MUCH more benificial to first get a membership, and then use the left over money for private lessons... seriously, they are MUCH better.... it's hard to improve in the group lessons, because they cannot coach you one on one and tell you exactly what you are doing wrong...

and, with the membership, you can go play there whenever there is open court time... AND you can work out there... they have exercise equipment...

just my 2 cents though... if you want more information, feel free to private message me, or e-mail me at sephi_chan_86@yahoo.com

15. TDotSmAsHer

Yea... I too think pvt lessons would probably be more benificial then group! Well.. if my parents refuse to drive me there everyweek and pay for it... I'll just have to wait until I get my G2 and I can drive myself... then I'd probably have to get P/t job to pay for it!! :( .. but parents will maybeeee pay.. :) they're too lazy to drive me though...

16. TDotSmAsHer

Unfortunately.... I don't think I have the time to be "that" dedicated.... although I've grown to love playing badminton, there are other things in life I can't just give up on for baddy! (school and such!) :\ Most of my money and whatever spare time I have now goes toward badminton.....

Not to mention... I'm 100% percent certain I won't make it pro even if I did have the time.. lol.... I've only been playing 6 months!

Right now.. I just wanna be uhhhhh sounds corny but... the "best" i can be under the circumstances! Another thing is theres not many community centers or anything around my area that actually has badminton.............. so I have to end up taking the bus to North York or Scarbrough to play most of the time! (45min - 1 hour subway/bus ride... sometimes a bit more)

17. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    it doesn't matter if you've only been playing for 6 months... you're in grade 10.. if you want to go pro, you stilll can... it's a question of how much effort and time you want to put into it...

18. TDotSmAsHer

Good point....

I myself don't have that kind of time though.. I wish I did.... (I don't really care for going pro heh.. but I still wished I had more time to play badminton) well .. one step at a time! I think I will try to get some pvt lessons in.... if my parents refuse to pay I can always get a P/T job.. :)

Btw... just out of curiosity... Nanashi do you plan on going pro?

19. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    no, i don't have that kind of time.... while i would be interested in a career relating to badminton, badminton isn't the highest priority for me...

20. TDotSmAsHer

Hehe.. me 2.. I just like playing :)

Career relating to badminton ?? Become one of those lines people? or maybe the people that mop the sweat off the floor? :p hehe...