String attach and Yonex Waranty

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by silentheart, Oct 2, 2008.

1. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Dear BCBF members,

Please note that Yonex is tightening down the warranty replacement. Here is what you need to be helpful.
    1) A copy of receipt from your authorized Yonex dealer with date of purchase and ser# high lighted.
    2) Do not cut the string no matter what the condition. It is to help if the racquet is under extreme stress from high tension (10% higher than recommended tension) or a bad string job or a real defect.
    3) Yonex will not warranty the racquet from other region code.

Don't reply and complain on these policies because
    1) Do you have something to hide?
    2) Warranty is for defect only, not for clash/abuse or bad string job from inexperienced stringer.
    3) Different region has different warranty period. It is also to protect the regional dealer.
    Good luck

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    thanks for letting us know.

good news and bad news for Yonex. and mostly bad news for the consumer.

- who strings at the recommended tension anyway these days? it is like selling a car and said if you have ever driven above highway speed limit, they won't warranty it.

- good for Yonex that fewer warranty will be granted. they might gain some that way
    - bad for Yonex USA since now people don't feel "protected" by the warranty and might just go to Asia or ebay to buy their rackets.

- good for the legit ebay'ers.

not entirely clear if that is a good move for Yonex USA, hopefully it means that business is so good they don't care.

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    The warranty makes sense, just the past, Yonex US (and CD) are very generous, and give many ppl who "abused" the policy a break. I don't see anything wrong with it, as it applies to any products.

Otherwise, everyone can slam the racket to the floor, or test with 55lbs of tension at the very last day, and claim a brand new one. :rolleyes:

4. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    I am not sure about the recept part, because most of the dealers do not record the serial numbers on it.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    There is two exceptions for #3.

The first one is if Yonex Japan accidently sends the incorrect code. Therefore instead of sending it back which would result in loss money, they will go ahead and sell it. Instances of this has happen to the authorized dealer over here where they recieved CP rackets sold them off as per Yonex.

The second exception is to divert stock. Once again instances where US coded rackets being sold at the authorized dealer over here as per Yonex.

#4 Matt, Oct 2, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

Unless Yonex invented some super accurate measurement tool, I doubt they can accurately measure the tension (on a totally deformed racket)within 10 or even 15%. Therefore, if a racket marks with max of 22, I wonder they can really reject if it's done with 24, and already being used for months. Of course, if you start with 30, then you should know you are taking a risk. :rolleyes:

I know that some lower end has max being 18-20, but those are not made to be used by a very competitive player who normally plays at 30lbs to begin with. :p

6. issarakaya

issarakaya Regular Member

Operational Dir.
    International brand like Yonex should give international warranty also.....this region code issue is crazy. If different region have different warranty period that's mean each region code have different quality right? If not why not set like 1 years limited warranty for all region, that's better. Like Kwun said good and bad for YY but surely 100% bad for customer :D

7. silentheart

Regarding over the tension limit vs auto speeding, there are documented cases out there for voiding warranty when driver red line the engine for extended period of time. The onboard computer do keep some of your car data for manufacture and government use.
    What I post here is a guide line to help users getting better chance to get the replacements. There are prior exceptions that may or may not apply in the future.
    Yes, Matt, what you posted does happen once every year at the model year end. However, in those case, you need to go through the dealer you purchased from. Let the dealer deal with it.

8. silentheart

Not really, in case of electronics, if you buy a Sony TV in Japan, the voltage is 220V. If you take it to US and plug it in a 110v outlet and does not work or broke the TV, should Sony warranty you mistake? Yonex warranty is decided by the regional office. If you buy from oversea shop, you can claim your replacement by sending it back to the shop you buy it from (if it make sense to you). According to Yonex (not me), racquets from each regional code are made from same Yonex standard and same Yonex quality check.

9. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    I agree. I was going to say something similar to Silent. Yes it does apply to pretty much any product. As for my example here, if I bought a Black & Decker toaster over from Canada and it broke in the US. Sending it to B&D US won't help because will ask you to send it to B&D Canada, even thou US may carry the exact same model product. The only possible exception here is if they allow it.

To my recall, Japan is also using 120V as well.

10. silentheart

Matt, thank you for pointing out my mistake. Japan uses 100V. It is Europe uses 220V

11. ph_leung

ph_leung Regular Member

I fix things
    50Hz for Tokyo and 60Hz for Kyoto. :)

Buy it with a credit card that has no fault coverage insurance. These are the ones that cover breakage or theft. The only thing to watch out for is some do not cover competition use breakage. There's no way for them to tell unless you win something and get into the news. They may ask you to ship the racket to them at your expense.

Usually they cover no fault for short period, then extend the manufacturer warranty by double or a year. YMMV.