Beginner in U.S. racquet suggestion needed

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by i0sushi, Oct 3, 2008.

1. i0sushi

i0sushi New Member

Hi,

I just joined this forum. I play tennis and am a forum member for a tennis forum so I followed the same rule and did a search but noticed that the advice/suggested racquet I found was models sold in Asia and not here in the U.S.

I'm originally from Japan and badminton was big there but I grew up playing tennis and don't think I'll fly there any time soon to just get a racquet.

Which racquet do you recommend for a male beginner?
    I'm in my mid 30s, powerful(not saying this must be good), $ is not a factor.
    I read that for beginners people suggest flexible shaft although a couple of folks here on the forum said it all depends if the guy is powerful and can swing fast even if he/she is a beginner...but in general it seems like a flexible shaft is suggested?!

1) Which model do you recommend/
    2) Why?
    3) Any store you recommend?(If that's allow on this forum)

Is Yonex MP45 or Nanospeed800 a good one to start with?

I'm such a newbie, I don't know if I'm an offensive player or a defensive player.
    I will take some lessons when I get a chance but I'd like to buy a nice racquet.

Thanks for all your help.
    :)

p.s. No I won't buy online from asia. Just thinking about getting something here in the U.S.

2. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    If you do coaching first just ask the coach for a racket. After a few lessons you should decide what playing style you have.

3. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    If you can arrange it the best way to find out is to play a few games of badminton using your friends' racquets. Don't worry too much about brands. If you find one that suits you best then that type/brand is perhaps the one you should get.
    You can then venture into other more exotic brands after you have a good feel of the game.

4. i0sushi

i0sushi New Member

Ok. Maybe I'll take lessons first and like phandrew said, then I'll know my playing style and a good time to buy.

But no recommendations? No specific models off top of your head?

I totally understand that the above way is the best but say I didn't have time and need a racquet right away, which model do you recommend?

Unfortunately, I can recommend a tennis beginner some racquet in this situation but I can't for badminton as I'm so new to this sports. (and yes, when I buy a tennis racquet, I do intensive demo for about 3 months so I totally understand what you guys are saying too!)

5. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    We can't recommend you any racket because it may be different from your playing style and it will affect how you play.