Rackets suitable for serious beginners...

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by weeyeh, Oct 3, 2008.

1. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

All of us in this forum is/was a serious beginner. We will have come across some rackets that are suitable for folks starting badminton. There are a lot of posts about rackets for serious beginners and great suggestions are littered all around. Lets consolidate all these great information here.

What's a serious beginner?
    Well, any person starting badminton, not knowing their playing preference or what they want or need except that they are serious enough to invest in their personal racket!

What kind of rackets are suitable?
    IMHO, something more flexible and even balance. Weight should be around 2-3U but not lighter than 4U. May be isometric or oval. Most importantly, affordable.. it mustn't break the bank!!!

I suggest the following format for posts:

Racket Brand/Model:
    It's a great beginner's racket because... :
    Specific setup (if any):
    Expect to pay: <whatever currency in which country>

2. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    A serious beginner should be focusing on technique and coaching rather than equipment.

3. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

The focus on techniques, tactics and improvement applies to all levels, not just beginners.:)

4. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Racket Brand/Model: Ashaway TMP 900

It's a great beginner's racket because... :
    It's oval, has a very flexible shaft and an fairly aerodynamic frame. On the downside, it's 4U so a tad bit too light.

Specific setup (if any):

Expect to pay: SGD 60.

5. CarbonexFan

CarbonexFan Regular Member

Carbonex series racket, so people can learn to play in the middle of the racket and take advantage of the larger sweet spot from the isometric frames in the future without hitting the edge of the stringing area and brake the string too often...:p

6. chongkiatz

chongkiatz Regular Member

if u wan cheaper racket... u can try apacs, sotx,proAce,Fleet... yonex is abit too expensive to get an high end racket....an Apacs high end racket just spend u around RM250 and an high end yonex racket may spend u RM400++...it's half price and can perform well....

u can also do some review on dink's racket review to get more information....

but seriously....wat phandrew say is true...coaching is most important than equipment....u can take this opportunity to test ur coach's racket for few hit...and for sure ur coach will guide u to get the rite racket rite?....without coach u need to waste some money to test alot of racket...

7. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Just in case it is not clear in the initial post, I am not looking for a new racket for myself. I am very happy with my 2 remaining Cab30ms, thank you very much. I am also experience enough to pick out what I believe are good beginner rackets for friends who are just starting out. In fact, I keep 1 such racket in my bag just in case.

Yes, the importance of a coach to teach proper technique cannot be over-stressed. Players at any level can use more coaching and improvements. This, like it or not, does not just apply to beginners.

Dinkalot's rackets are reviewed at 28lbs. I understand that he is a very hard hitter so his preference will unlikely apply to a beginner who can hardly pull a full base. Likewise, high end rackets are unlikely suitable for beginners either since they tend to optimise towards a particular game style and are too stiff for beginners.

I was attempting to consolidate all recommendations to beginners into a single thread to make it easy for beginners and so that we do not keep repeating the same information. This will also, hopefully, raise the quality of the recommendations.

In any case, this seems like a ill-fated attempt so I'm leaving this thread. Thanks all for your participation so far. :)

#7 weeyeh, Oct 3, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  8. chongkiatz

chongkiatz Regular Member

owh...seen i'm out of topic...lol..i'm sorry ya weeyeh...maybe i'm blur because just back from playing badminton and didn't read the title nicely.....tired maybe >.<.....

Racket Brand/Model: Apacs (edge-saber10)
    It's a great beginner's racket because... : Cheaper, easy to use...even my girlfren also say it easy to use , light and not too heavy...
    Expect to pay: RM120 can get free string + grip with a great racket =)

this is what i get the info from my gf which she also consider begginer+...compared my wilson ncode 9000 and edge-saber10...she can perform weel on ES10 because my wilson is abit too heavy for her...

#8 chongkiatz, Oct 3, 2008
  9. Sasho

Sasho Regular Member

About stiffness:

I used to train badminton 11y ago for about 1,5y -- training, competitions and everything. Playing with Alu and Steel rackets.
    Three months ago I decided to tart playing (for fun, but regullary) again. Started a thread in this section and was told to take a flexible racket. The more flex, the better... Asked about MP 22lt and the answer was that it is not enough flexible for me.
    So I ended with a Carlton Aeroblade FX Oval (for single) and a cheap Talbot Torro IsoForce 311 (for doubles). The Aeroblade turned out to be too flexible -- had to play with my whole arm rather than my wrist. After two sessions I realised that was not my racket and after some time, I sold it.
    And the Torro 311 which is rated med flex/stiff -- it is great for doubles and I am not selling it. But for single I need something that is really stiff -- know that after trying CAB 20.
    So now I am looking for a stiff, long, oval, even balanced 3U racket. But learned it the hard way.
    And shall all beginners know first to try both flexible and stiff rackets before bying anything.

I have that one question -- how stiff is 8.0~8.5 SOTX racket?

#9 Sasho, Oct 3, 2008
  10. i0sushi

i0sushi New Member

Excellent thread! I recently decided to play badminton and I don't know my if I'm an offensive player or a defensive one. I'm that new to this sports!

I've also noticed that reading some of threads, some racquets are sold only in Asia and I live in the U.S. so it's hard for me to find a thread with the information I want. It would be great to have the Manufacturer's name and the model name (not just the model name) for us beginners.

I take lessons in every sports I play even I become fairly good at it so lessons/good forms are must, I know but if money was not an issue, which racquets do you recommend for beginners in the U.S.? And why?

Thanks!

11. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Just buy any lower end carbon graphite models from any major badminton company, and restring it at 20-21lbs to make it playable.